You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118486 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2020, 09:42:16 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@az2020   You can just store the wifi password in root system wide using network manager. It will then auto-connect before you even log in if you like. At some point you must have checked a dialogue box that saved your wifi password to kwallet is all that's going on. Use network manager to store your wifi password. Set up your connection again and save it from network manager and if it prompts you to save to kwallet don't. I test Kubuntu too right now and I don't have the problem you describe... but then Network Manager is one of my favorite pieces of Linux software and usually the first one I use after installation.

@ldcdc   This is not really a bug but more like an opinion. I recommend not using trash directly on any external drive. Create a file called standby or something and move files you are not sure about deleting to it instead of your ~/trash folder. I have always thought implementations of trash folders on Linux to be unnecessary given the way Linux updates and the file paths it uses compared to MS. This is also one of the many reasons that high end large system MS OEM desktops often ship with two disks, one SSD one HDD.

KDE in general, especially with SUSE and Kubuntu, is designed to be idiot proof, that is reliable OOTB  and as feature rich as Linux can be. This makes the interface confusing at times... but generally stable enough to endure operator error.

TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2020, 08:22:45 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Thread not dead! (That would make a nice t-shirt slogan ;) )

That soo made me think of Officespace!

Um, yeeah! About that KDE version....
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2020, 07:30:50 PM »

ldcdc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Sorry for raising this thread from the dead, but I have a small point to add about KDE, given the "windows like" approach that Linux Lite takes.

There's a bug/feature, depends on how you see it, that makes Trash not work as expected for "external" drives/partitions - at least with the default mounting permissions. Essentially, "move to trash" for files on "external" drives, results in files being copied to ~/.local/share/Trash. Perhaps Linux Lite could either change the default mounting permissions to work around it, or change the plasma code itself. In any case, out of the box Trash will not work as expected in KDE, and someone "moving to trash" his/her media files, will result in lots of file copying, possibly even filling up /home or  /.

See https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76380

Don't get me wrong, I like KDE/Plasma. I've always loved the KDE set of apps; I love their depth when it comes to features/options. There's no perfect desktop, and one must be willing to make a compromise here and there (or build his oen? :D). I became tired of Gnome and the constant "we know best, you don't need this feature anymore" approach, so after years of using vanilla Ubuntu, I looked around for something a bit different. The choice came down to KDE or XFCE. Linux Lite, being Ubuntu based, was a possible variant for me. I went for Kubuntu though, for a reason that Jerry noted at some point in this thread: the bigger devs team at KDE felt like the safer bet for the future.

But, later down the road, perhaps LinuxLite will be the right distro for me, if a KDE flavour is added. :)

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:35 PM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon Vega 3

One thing I'm not liking is KDE "wallet." Every time I boot, kwallet asks me for a password just to connect to my own wifi from my own computer (

You can deactivate it in systemsettings.

Thanks(?). Your comment caused me to look deeper and find that option in System Settings->Personalization->Account Details.

However... turning off the wallet causes Kubuntu to prompt for wifi *each* time I boot.  :) All I've done is exchange one annoyance for another. (Plus, all my Google Chrome credentials disappeared. I had no idea I was that "into" the wallet all this time.).

I turned it back on until I can learn more. I don't want to rant too much about it yet. Maybe it's a good thing, and I just don't understand it. I can see how transporting a wallet around with your web-site logins could be nice. It's just the wifi part that's annoying. (Plus, if you log into your session, why supply yet another password to the wallet. That seems overdone.).

But, I could live with that. Maybe I'm just averse to change. I try to keep an open mind. What really strikes me as a real problem is the network connection not being established until long after the desktop appears. You can't automount NFS shares. (Samba might not work either.). I *assume* that's my problem mounting. It could be something else. This is the first time I've used NFS.

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

One thing I'm not liking is KDE "wallet." Every time I boot, kwallet asks me for a password just to connect to my own wifi from my own computer (

You can deactivate it in systemsettings.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2020, 10:14:13 AM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

One thing I'm not liking is KDE "wallet." Every time I boot, kwallet asks me for a password just to connect to my own wifi from my own computer (which I logged into with my own username and password). That doesn't seem well thought out. :) I've got a feeling it serves a very good purpose and in the future we're all going to be using wallets. But, right now, I'm not liking it.

I setup my old laptop to seed torrents 24x7, and hold less-used files (a NAS device). I configured NFS (I started with samba, but it seemed slow transferring files. I read NFS is faster. It does seem to be.). It works perfectly when I mount the share from KDE's command line. But, when I configure fstab to mount at boot, it fails. I think because the system won't start the wifi until the desktop appears and kwallet asks for its password.

I've asked on the Kubuntu forum for help with this. It's not the end of the world. I can use the command-line mount. But, something about kwallet seems more than I'd like to get into.

Another problem I'm encountering is that the shutdown takes 3-5 minutes unless I open a terminal window and unmount the NFS share before shutting down. I read somewhere that this can be because KDE (or systemd?) shuts down the network before unmounting the share. (That's actually what caused me to think about how the network isn't starting until well after the desktop is present. ha. I probably never have realized fstab mounting is failing due to that, if I hadn't read about the possible reason for the shutdown hang.).

This is the first time I've used NFS. I might experience similar difficulty on any distro. I wouldn't blame KDE for all of it. But, the part about delaying network connectivity until after you're into your desktop seems like a problem. [I'll edit this post when I learn more about how to deal with that. Googling about it, I see a lot. But, it's not always clear what is the official answer versus quick/dirty hacks. It's also not clear which hacks are for Plasma 4 or 5. I'm going to wait and see if I can get an answer from someone who knows.]

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2020, 07:05:29 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

It's really surprising how small KDE's memory usage is. Especially if you turn off the animations in "appearance." It's down around Linux Lite, Lubuntu. (It's based on qt, like Lubuntu's desktop).

Yes, it wasn't always like that though. I remember trying KDE in the past and it was quite a heavy desktop using a large amount of resources, now they've made a great job.

I'm not in love with the start menu. It feels a little clunky the way you have to click menu items to drill deeper. I like how Linux Lite (and MX, other Xfce desktops) expand as you hover over a menu item.). It feels tedious that way. It has a lot of settings which could also feel tedious at first. But, now it's nice to have all that. It's very well organized.

You don't have to click, at all. Use arrow keys + Alt to navigate the menu and/or click on super/win key and start typing the name of the program you're looking for, Also, you could just click on the desktop or press Alt+Space keys and start typing, krunner, which I forgot to mention before (how could I), will list every single possible  match from local files to your browser bookmarks in a drop-down menu fashion for your query. This is by far the best feature/tool any desktop could ever dream having, and KDE does!

It sounds like the is a rebellion among Xfce's fans. I guess Xfce is making some changes they don't like. So, that would be good to have a choice with Linux Lite. That might appeal to people. (I don't know how Jerry does it all.)

I don't think it 's anything like that, many people will still use XFCE since it is a great desktop, personally, the main reason I'm feeling more and more attracted to KDE is the fact that I don't have to use the mouse for almost everything like I do in xfce, I only use it when a certain action can't be done via keyboard,  otherwise I key my way around it :) In fairness, xfce is easier to set up and use in just a matter of minutes while in KDE you have to spend a fair amount of time learning what does what before it works the way you want it to. I'm using KDE on Debian Buster, I installed Buster via a netinst.iso, then installed KDE and apps on it.

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2020, 08:09:46 PM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

IMHO, I think KDE's plama desktop will be such a great addition to Linux Lite and will make it even better; more appealing to its target audience being more windows-like UI as well as to others.   

I agree. I just switched from MX Linux 18.3 to Kubuntu 19.10. (I just got a couple new laptops and couldn't get MX 19 or 19.1 to install on them. I didn't work at it too much since I was planning to hop to something else anyway. I was planning to use Peppermint for awhile. But, their lead author/creator passed away in January, and they're struggling to fill those shoes. So, I thought I'd try KDE for awhile. I've always wanted to. Longer than Peppermint.).

It's really surprising how small KDE's memory usage is. Especially if you turn off the animations in "appearance." It's down around Linux Lite, Lubuntu. (It's based on qt, like Lubuntu's desktop).

I'm not in love with the start menu. It feels a little clunky the way you have to click menu items to drill deeper. I like how Linux Lite (and MX, other Xfce desktops) expand as you hover over a menu item.). It feels tedious that way. It has a lot of settings which could also feel tedious at first. But, now it's nice to have all that. It's very well organized.

It sounds like the is a rebellion among Xfce's fans. I guess Xfce is making some changes they don't like. So, that would be good to have a choice with Linux Lite. That might appeal to people. (I don't know how Jerry does it all.).

« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2020, 07:32:28 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I'm sold to KDE's plasma desktop! I've been using it for over 2 months or so and so far it's been a pleasant experience. I've used XFCE from the day 1 I started using Linux, but I have to say that plasma is such a great DE. I logged to XFCE few days ago and realized how much clicking I do in comparison with plasma where I barely use the mouse since I've configure it in a way that I can do pretty much everything wthout it. I'm not saying I'm leaving xfce for good since I like it being simple and smart but truth is that with plasma my wokflow's improved a lot. Regarding software I think there's really not much difference since I'm using pretty much the same ones I use in xfce; chromium, clementine, vlc, claws-mail and haven't noticed any boost in performance.
Specific KDE vs XFCE4 software, well that's really a total different story.
dolphin vs thunar; I think both are great file managers and both do have some unique features to make life much easier.
panels; I think plasma wins here; windows' buttons place and behave more "cleanly", maybe that's not the right word but can't think of any other to better describe it.
menu; again, I think plasma wins here: plasma menu search features are way far much more advanced than those of xfce which are quite limited to say the least.
konsole vs xfce4-terminal; this is just like dolphin vs thunar, they both are great tools with unique features to help users get the job done efficienly. However, I do find xfce's to be more friendly when it comes to set it up, at least for the first use; even if users have never used a terminal they'll find it easy to configure, I think.
kwin vs xfwm4; again, plasma wins here: kwin offers much more control over windows, i.e configure the keyboard to do whatever you can think of; raise, hide, switch between, open, close and more. Also, it appears to improve graphics performance by using opengl while xfwm4 uses xrender.

Well, I just wanted to share some of my experience so far with plasma. IMHO, I think KDE's plama desktop will be such a great addition to Linux Lite and will make it even better; more appealing to its target audience being more windows-like UI as well as to others.  Also, If I may say so, will make LL a big contender in the distro universe, which it is already; top 20 ALWAYS at distrowatch, which isn't a small thing when you think how others go up and down week after week while LL remains there among the top 20 distros, not that it matters that much but then, let's all be honest, it kind of does. :)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 07:35:20 PM by Moltke »

« Reply #138 on: February 18, 2020, 12:49:58 PM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

I've always liked KDE because it (the look/feel) reminds me of OS/2 (which I was a big fan of). KDE used to be synonymous with "large." But, I played with it a year ago, and again recently. It's surprisingly small, in the MX Linux, Linux Lite, Lubuntu territory. KDE has a lot of settings that can be changed. I found that turning off the eye-candy animations and stuff puts it down in the same realm as these distros. (With that stuff enabled, it's not "large.").

I've been wanting to make Neon KDE my desktop for awhile, or Kubuntu. One thing that turned me off a little was Neon forces you to save your wifi password in a "vault" (or something). I already use Keypass. I felt uncomfortable setting up yet another tool like that, and having another passphrase, etc. There was no way I could see to opt out. That was Neon. I don't think experience that with Kubuntu. But, I've forgotten.

« Reply #137 on: February 18, 2020, 11:21:03 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Just some followup. Well I've been using Kubuntu LTS for a few weeks now, and not to bear any bad news, but generally Linux Lite 4.8 hits the AMD 4core CPU a little harder than Kubuntu does on the same machine. This could be a kernel and/or firmware difference however. LL is on 4,15.0-88 while Kubuntu is on 5.3.0-40. RAM use is relatively comparable though LL spikes higher with some applications, and goes up and down quicker, while Kubuntu stays about the same without any big spikes though averaging a little higher. Another default application included with Kubuntu worth mentioning as being user friendly for beginners/Windows refugees is vaults, a slick little file encryption tool. All in all I'd have to say that Kubuntu has a very polished DE, that in my opinion is currently the most Windows 10 like Linux I have used.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2020, 12:17:17 AM »

tikiti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Noob
    • View Profile

Well, I don't thing you can find a nicer KDE timeline than this :
https://timeline.kde.org/
Happy reading!

Thanks! Good doge! ;)
Now is the only reality. All else is either memory or imagination. - Osho

« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2020, 10:13:45 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Well, I don't think you can find a nicer KDE timeline than this :
https://timeline.kde.org/
Happy reading!
Edit : Typos... again... *sob*.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 07:58:12 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2020, 08:31:14 AM »

tikiti

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Noob
    • View Profile

You want me to go over the entire history of KDE for you?

Entire history isn't needed O Great Sir! A short summary will suffice. I thanketh thou.
Now is the only reality. All else is either memory or imagination. - Osho

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2020, 03:53:17 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

You want me to go over the entire history of KDE for you?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section