You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118462 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #102 on: January 02, 2020, 10:32:21 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I'd like to reiterate what Jerry stated earlier.  It seems like some of us are making anecdotal history affect how we feel about this issue.

Antergos doesn't exist anymore.  Github is now owned by Microsoft.  Those are two recent examples of how the past does not equal the future.  My guess is the majority of all users do most of their computing via a browser and they occasionally access a file manager.  Switching desktop environments isn't going to rock the world of grandma or grandpa as long as the browser icon is still in the bottom left, next to the file manager icon and the Menu button.  That can be accomplished in KDE.  So relax.

There would likely be a developmental version of Linux Lite KDE so that we in the forum can test it out and report issues.  A desktop environment change for a production version of Linux Lite isn't even in the cards before June 2022.  That is over two years from now.  And that is the earliest this would happen, if it happens at all.

We should stop being so kneejerk about this and let Jerry do his thing.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2020, 06:06:41 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x

Jerry, thank you for taking LL to where it is today.
I'm 74, so do me a favor. Stay with xfce for a few more years. After I'm gone, do what you want.
Amigo......

Amigo, your plea strikes a chord ...

In a world that's constantly changing in the name of 'progress', maybe it's reassuring to know that some things remain the same, especially when they do their job perfectly: "If it ain't broke why fix it?" 

To be perfectly honest, right now, I prefer to sit on the fence for KDE vs XFCE debate ...

64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2020, 05:19:55 AM »

amigo

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20GHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)

Jerry, thank you for taking LL to where it is today.
I'm 74, so do me a favor. Stay with xfce for a few more years. After I'm gone, do what you want.
Amigo......

« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2020, 03:18:12 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

@Teddy nailed it.  My last flirtation with KDE, admittedly years ago now, was very confusing.  I was like, "What is all this stuff and what does it do?  Can it be undone if I change something and don't like it?  It's very busy and so full of unfamiliar stuff that I found it overwhelming.

It was my experience too, with KDE, three or four years ago. A few times I messed up with KDE, couldn't get out of it, and in the end got so frustrated I finally ditched it.  At the time, it seemed that the only folk that used KDE were the linux-savvy; not something for novices ...

That said, maybe Jerry can simplify KDE: cut out all the superfluous stuff, including the eye-candy, and spin something equally magical out of it, as he has done with LL & XFCE - perhaps best just to wait and see ...

« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 05:24:40 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2020, 02:39:10 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

@Teddy nailed it.  My last flirtation with KDE, admittedly years ago now, was very confusing.  I was like, "What is all this stuff and what does it do?  Can it be undone if I change something and don't like it?  It's very busy and so full of unfamiliar stuff that I found it overwhelming.

One of the coolest things Linux Lite has done with the Xfce desktop is change the names of apps to reflect their function.  A newbie wouldn't know that Thunar is the file manager, for example, so it's not called Thunar in Linux Lite.   Do that for a KDE desktop and you'll be onto something awesome for the (hopefully distant) future.

« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2020, 01:53:08 AM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
Why I'm in favour of a future with KDE.

- It is Windows like
- Massive development team
- Detailed, almost to a point of overdoing it, configurability
- Stunning themes
- Mobile phone management with KDE Connect
- Continuously improving performance
- Konsole, has to be one of the best ootb Terminals available

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk
Everything here I agree on and am (of course) biased towards KDE. Of course I'm no stranger to other DEs either (using MATE Linux Mint on another machine for example) and I have no problem with XFCE at all. Just don't use GNOME whatever you do  ;D !

That disclaimer aside, I am going to go out on a limb and say that it would NOT be a good idea to change LL to KDE for the benefit of the community and your target userbase. I mean don't get me wrong, better development pace, good features are great assets to have, but do those things really warrant the risk of potentially alienating a good chunk of your userbase? I may like the change, and will welcome it if you decide so but I must disclose myself as someone who isn't the target demographic of LL generally speaking. We gained many LL users from the support closures of Windows XP/Vista and probably will receive many former Windows 7 users when support ends for it on 2020-01-14. Those people most likely appreciate the no-nonsense feel and arrangement of XFCE, while KDE can be overwhelming to someone completely brand new (it certainly was to me until after a month or so back during the KDE4 days). Even after all this time I still don't understand what the purpose of the 'Activities' feature that KDE has had for a long time. Never used it and I feel that the virtual desktops do the same thing anyway. The KDE settings and widgets panel alone can literally scare someone away from changing anything because of how detailed it is. Those already used to XFCE will want to stay with it most likely as well (my grandparents who use LL are a good example of this, they came from Windows XP).

In my mind, I think of Linux Lite as a 'Function over Form' style of distro, where productivity/usability/ease of use are at the foreground of priorities and the looks/theme/eye candy supplement the productivity/usability. KDE is all about eye candy and is a tinkerer's dream. As an example: I can only think of KDE Connect as a gimmick in many ways: Notifications that sync with a smartphone, ability to use smartphone as a touchpad & remotely controlling multimedia with a smartphone. Yes these features are nice but are they essential? The cool thing about KDE Connect though is sending and receiving files wireless which is very helpful and the only non gimmick service that KDE Connect provides. XFCE fits that 'Function over Form' mission better for LL I think.
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2020, 05:56:06 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

My cats had whiskers
and they both liked Whiskas.
But when I see Whisker I paws
and then I replace it
with XFCE menu
which also  has whiskers - of course!

« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2020, 03:06:48 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

First off,  thanks to Jerry for that video showing the gazillion KDE settings, which was long, and almost scary, but cool. Like "The Arrival" ;)

I think of myself as open minded person and don't cling to anything blindly but this discussion touches on "The Great DE Warz"...
Some parts of this thread almost sound like the Beta/VHS, Nintendo/Sega then PlayStation/Xbox days.
The phenomena of having adopted one "brand" that automatically transforms a user/gamer into a fanboy/fanperson of the the said brand.

If any DE can be configured easily for a specific purpose and layout, is stable and lightweight... it deserves attention.
Will it become standard? Maybe. Thing I'm sure, if it's not up to par for everything achieved in Linux Lite up to now, it will stay a pet project a while longer and/or die as a DE highschool fling.

XFCE is great and really versatile, like I mentioned before, Whiskers sold me to it, heck I even use Mint XFCE+Whiskers sometimes (can't stand Cinnamon/Mate/Gnome since I always "get stuck" somewhere). But, I'm not "sold" to anything. Even Microsoft did some cool stuff... but also horrible, Horrible, nightmare-ish stuff that haunt the collective mind to this day... Hi Bob!

Personally I had an eye for KDE for some time. First raised eye brow was trying the different DE with Porteus 4 and found that KDE was lighter than Mate and Gnome, and thats been sometime now. They seem to have continued in this path and completely understand the excitement of Jerry for it.
But MS, don't confuse excitement as being "disturbing". I don't have a Psych Doctorate (... or maybe I do, cuz, let's be mysterious in this Internet anonymity ;) ).
I'm quite certain that Jerry is not "insane" or "obsessed" just by trying out different things. Or... he's just a brain with eyeballs floating in a glass jar in a lab somewhere, no one really knows, since he probably never sleeps. :-D

(Oh noes, here it comes, another "car" analogy...)
I know quite a lot of people, including myself that would be exited and find it cool to drive a, I dunno, a BMW760 (or any other other expensive car of your choice representing KDE). Would I buy one, no, too much resources needed. ;)
But... what if it costs the same as your standard sedan (being XFCE) and took the same amount of gas to run? ... Things that make you go hummm!Pretty sure people would think twice aboot keeping the standard familly sedan.
Edit: 'cuz I'm lazy
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:14:47 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2019, 11:05:43 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2019, 08:46:02 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Roughly offtopic, but what about LXQT?
Not sure if you are trolling or serious. Stay on topic people.

You would never want to hear someone comment on your OS with a statement such as: are you trolling or serious?

Wait...

Umm... KDE?

Uh oh...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:48:08 AM by MS »

« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2019, 08:41:57 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Not sure if you are trolling or serious. Stay on topic people.

« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2019, 08:39:05 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2019, 08:35:06 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I go with torreydale on this one. I want a OS that works and i dont play around with it and make huge changes. I just use it out of the box.

Exactly. Most of us on this forum like LL as we want something that just works, easy-to-use, pure & simple without having to "fiddle around".

I think whichever DE LL uses it's going to behave just as good as it does with XFCE; ready to be used out of the box. After all, is not the DE but the design of the OS which makes it work the way it does. I tried quite a few different xfce-distros and not all of them are as polished and light as LL.

Referring back to my comments on reply #80: Debian is a bit more complicated than Ubuntu; LXDE not as easily configurable as XFCE - too much fiddling around with Debian & LXDE !
LL is like that by design; foolproof! You can't fiddle around it or else you could breake it, trust me, I have lol. I find LXDE to be not as customizable nor as functional as XFCE is.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2019, 05:57:20 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I go with torreydale on this one. I want a OS that works and i dont play around with it and make huge changes. I just use it out of the box.

Exactly. Most of us on this forum like LL as we want something that just works, easy-to-use, pure & simple without having to "fiddle around".
Referring back to my comments on reply #80: Debian is a bit more complicated than Ubuntu; LXDE not as easily configurable as XFCE - too much fiddling around with Debian & LXDE !
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 05:59:20 AM by m654321 »

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2019, 03:45:58 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section