You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118625 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2019, 02:52:42 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Well then, apparently it is natural evolution of the state of things. Wish it was less catastrophic-like in terms of impact and more organic, if to make such biological comparison. Either how, I am certain Linux Lite is going to remain a unique OS.

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2019, 02:48:01 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I have no desires. That requires ego, and I have none connected to this OS. Read the top of our Features page for our mission statement.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2019, 02:46:53 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

@MS ,

Take 2 chill pills.  One's not enough for you.
Yes, forgive me for being negative in this place, Jerry is fully right to vindicate me for that, somehow, sometime.

EDIT:

For the 'chill pill', I heard L-theanine is a pretty good popular fix, even though I have never tried it in a purified pharmaceutical form, albeit people drinking a lot of tea, particularly the green tea, may be familiar with the effect it brings.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:49:21 AM by MS »

« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2019, 02:45:11 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@MS ,

Take 2 chill pills.  One's not enough for you.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2019, 02:37:12 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

While I can personally see why you would use XFCE over LXDE or Ubuntu over Debian, with both the necessary benefits and side effects these choices introduce, I would like conclude the danger, primarily dwells in desire.

What do you desire to achieve with your OS right now?

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2019, 02:27:54 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

We're not trying to be the lightest OS in the Universe. We will always be light. The term itself is subjective, but has a clear context here.

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2019, 02:14:03 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

The original aims of LL were:
- an easy-to-use Linux OS, especially for those migrating from Microsoft Windows, and also for those new to Linux generally
- lite (lightweight), fast & free

Of course the name Linux Lite, in itself, conveys lightness and speed. So far LL has adhered to the above aims, though I've found that the LL4 series is beginning to lose its hold on 'lite-ness' & speed for older hardware. I see two main reasons for this:

1. LL being built on an Ubuntu base, where 32-bit versions have now been discontinued - Debian 10 (and probably Deb11) will continue to use 32bit
2. Use of XFCE, instead of the significantly lighter LXDE 

I'm sure Jerry, you have good reasons for neither using a Debian base, nor LXDE, but I thought I'd just throw my own thoughts into the melting-pot ...

« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:57:28 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2019, 01:55:31 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

I want mine as different from Windows as it can possibly get.
You have GNOME. By the way, watch out what you wish for. Windows is not stupid, infact, it is not stupid at all.

@Jerry, I do not know you personally perhaps even at all, but it appears to me you have gone 'insane' over KDE and Plasma, literally overnight. It is a very disturbing observation. I would ask you to reevaluate your posts in this thread and compare them versus your common earlier demeanor on this forum. Sudden changes rarely lead up to serene ends.

I see how you have become slightly obsessed with modern KDE and it appears to me that embracing of KDE desktop environment by the Linux Lite, is inevitable, only a matter of time. I may not even be as much against the very KDE, but I may be against the 'madness' of how the ongoing change occurs. The sudden switch of KDE Plasma to an ultra-fast beyond-XFCE lightweight desktop environment, from the polar opposite point of spectrum it had inhabited literally a while ago, is unhealthy just by itself.

I do not think Linux Lite is going to be a 'spiritually' clear place for the time approaching, which is why I consider myself moving to something else, with more 'sane' background, if I may use the metaphor.

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I agree, for it's purpose, Jerry has done an awesome job and will continue to do so no matter which desktop LL uses.

I'm one of those (rare?) users who doesn't want a desktop that looks or behaves in any way like Windows.  I want mine as different from Windows as it can possibly get.

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

You know my opinion in this matter. You did not 'earn' Plasma, @Jerry. Infact, definitive majority of distros did not. That is why this entire situation is such a pitfall.

Yes, I do not give a hoot, but this is a double-edged sword.

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

One of the reasons a lot of us prefer Xfce is because of it's "slow" development. 

I don't prefer Xfce because of its slow development.  I prefer Linux Lite and it happened to be using Xfce.  The people I've helped move to Linux via Linux Lite don't give a hoot, either.  They just want something that works, is fast, and looks good.  I think we need to trust the founder of Linux Lite on any changes keeping in step with the distro being friendly to the new Linux convert.  He's already stated in this thread that if KDE is used in the future, it will be part of an LTS (Long Term Support) build. 

I personally think Linux Lite has done a fantastic job with Xfce, and it looks great.  But it still looks closer to Windows XP or Windows 2000 than Windows 10.  And for some newbies, that's a step back.  To have a modern look, more functionality, and still be lighter weight than even Xfce...it would be foolish to ignore the possibilities, and that is what Jerry is investigating.

Take a chill pill and let him do his thing.

I would second this :)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2019, 12:36:17 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

One of the reasons a lot of us prefer Xfce is because of it's "slow" development. 

I don't prefer Xfce because of it's slow development.  I prefer Linux Lite and it happened to be using Xfce.  The people I've helped move to Linux via Linux Lite don't give a hoot, either.  They just want something that works, is fast, and looks good ...

My thoughts entirely torreydale - very well done for articulating this so well
8)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 02:30:12 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2019, 12:20:15 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thanks torreydale, once again you've absolutely nailed my position here.

This is going to be a bloody tough decision here, one that deserves a wide, open and varied collection of opinions. Trust that whatever is decided upon in 2 years, it is purely for our target audience. In all facets of this topic, time is on our side.

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2019, 12:06:08 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I don't prefer Xfce because of its slow development.  I prefer Linux Lite and it happened to be using Xfce.  The people I've helped move to Linux via Linux Lite don't give a hoot, either.  They just want something that works, is fast, and looks good.  I think we need to trust the founder of Linux Lite on any changes keeping in step with the distro being friendly to the new Linux convert.  He's already stated in this thread that if KDE is used in the future, it will be part of an LTS (Long Term Support) build. 

I personally think Linux Lite has done a fantastic job with Xfce, and it looks great.  But it still looks closer to Windows XP or Windows 2000 than Windows 10.  And for some newbies, that's a step back.  To have a modern look, more functionality, and still be lighter weight than even Xfce...it would be foolish to ignore the possibilities, and that is what Jerry is investigating.

Take a chill pill and let him do his thing.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 12:44:51 PM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2019, 07:51:13 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

One of the reasons a lot of us prefer Xfce is because of it's "slow" development.  There have been no huge, major, sudden changes to the Xfce desktop that are so severe you can hardly recognize it, as has been the case with both Gnome and KDE.  While the Big Guys have lots of great features and stuff, their rapid development inevitably leads to bugs, regressions, and sudden incompatibility with some software.  Give me slow and steady any day.
The only horrids coming down the wire for XFCE are in the full move to GTK3 - so no more simple config files to tweak xfce - now it's all .css - YUK!!!

Try out MX-19 if you want to see the future for XFCE - most of it is pretty OK, and indeed on the surface little has changed - but I really really hate drop shadow text on the desktop and whilst it is easy to remove in XFCE now, in 4.14 it isn't quite so simple.

Between now and 18.04 expiry date there's a few years so maybe something else will pop out of the woodwork  ;)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section