You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118598 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2019, 01:17:21 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
But you can't do that in whisker menu, can you? At least not by default. I'm asking cause now I'm curious, it never ocurred to me to try that.

I second that. When I started ion Linux, the main reason I finally chose XFCE was the Whiskers menu.
Seeing the program descriptions right in the menu trememdously helped the transition...
And no, before anyone replies to this, browsing over each entry to have the pop-up description is not as noob-friendly! ;)

On a side note, for the memory usage, it may be unrelated but could it be that the 64bits version in KDE is just more optimised than XFCE currently?
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2019, 12:12:45 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@Jerry ,

It isn't a deal breaker for me.  I trust that whatever release you and other developers put out will continue to stay fast, simple, and free.  The folks I've helped make the transition to Linux Lite wouldn't care much either.

In addition to KDE being bulky in the past, I avoided it because it was "too" feature rich and I didn't know what I was doing going from Arch based to Debian based to Fedora based, etc.  I didn't know how to run updates or install software.  It was a tad overwhelming being so new to Linux at the time, and the distros I tried didn't have documentation as good as Linux Lite.  So I felt lost.  I'm sure whatever help manual is created, coupled with the forum support and testing will make a transition as seamless as any other series change.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2019, 06:54:23 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Good point robinc.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

• MEMORY: 4Gb
One of the important factors with KDE Plasma is how well GTK3 apps integrate - or rather dis-integrate.

Granted there are various utilities that help to improve the experience but it can be a visual bear if you are accustomed to all your apps looking like they come from the same stable.

The rapid pace of KDE development against a - shall we say "slow and steady" - platform like Debian/Ubuntu means that the released version of Plasma can be years ahead of what is available to end users. There are ongoing conflicts with Qt versions clashing with some apps as well.

In fairness I think that you do need to be on a rolling release base like PCLOS in order to get the benefit of the development process which is behind KDE.

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2019, 11:39:57 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

'KDE LL' sounds good. From what was pointed out, the infrastructure is also a big reason.

I guess as long as other DE exist, there will always be alternative 'go2' distros featuring them.

So until the end of 2021?

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I want us to shift from our personal experiences to what are the advantages/disadvantages to future users (Windows Mac converts) of a KDE LL. I'd also like to hear if switching to KDE would be a deal breaker for any members. Thank you.

363mb 64 bit KDE...lol..now imagine what that would be in 2022 with all the development they do. Interesting.

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2019, 11:01:40 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Right here on this very website, there is an advert for 'Linux Mint', among else, showing up. 'Mint' comes only in three flavours, as for now. Should we take one of the most indie pop distros, that has adverts flying over the web, as a measure of what actually is rad and what a matter of convention? Like, once I asked Jerry to allow choosing a default web browser at the Lite install, assuming that FireFox may not be the choice of everyman already, therefore perhaps even to swap FireFox for something else. Jerry said somewhere that he could not, for the reasons I describe purely as conventional. You see, to take convention for the choice of public, is actually a mistake. But with KDE breakthrough, these may both merge. Maybe even there will emerge one day an ultimate face of a Linux distro, composed only of 'the rightest' things, who knows?

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

" since XFCE is what literally everyone uses"
Sorry no, not even close really.
Very well, but I would be grateful if you could enlighten me some, then, as I believe you do not count in the users going text mode only on servers?

No, one cannot count text - minimal - only, that is without a desktop interface, besides most servers(RHEL/CentOS) I do believe have either KDE or Gnome for a desktop GUI. Minimal no GUI.

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2019, 07:34:24 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Most of the newbie-friendly desktops choose Xfce or Cinnamon, but an old favorite - PCLinuxOS - has always been KDE and other desktops were used to make it lighter for those with modest hardware.  Perhaps that won't be necessary soon. 

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Thanks, @Moltke, that was a thoughtful explanation. It is really up to Jerry, how will the LL unfold. For my assumption of 'not a number one', I could imagine LL being perhaps a 'number four' Linux distro in terms of casual popularity, in an ideal and very favorable realm, if Jerry literally danced on his eyelids to help this happen, but for how you portrayed the vision of prefabricated distros altogether, I start to believe everyone should actually assemble their own distro, albeit this would not be particularly Windows-folk friendly, right? Anyway, with a mission to intercept the loose Windows folks in mind, at least those Windows folks who have enough of situational recognition to see the possible benefits of using Linux, we may sometimes look like idolizing Windows here around LL. Which is a dangerous trait of appeal in the GNU/Linux world.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 12:59:06 PM by MS »

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Very well, but I would be grateful if you could enlighten me some, then, as I believe you do not count in the users going text mode only on servers?

I think "which DE is the most used" is kind of relative and user-case specific. I love XFCE, if you install it, using something like Debian netinstall, CentOS core or Arch, the download size is about 10mb and the install size is around 35mb; you get a panel, thunar and a couple of other apps (can't remember now). It doesn't ship with the xfce terminal or catfish or whiskermenu or a web browser or ristretto or screnshooter, at least not in Debian and/or Arch, can't remember if it does in CentOS, been a while since I last used it. Kde-plasma-desktop which doesn't install all the KDE apps but a few ones i.e kwrite,  download size is around 150mb and install size is around 350mb. Kde-full download size is around 600mb and install size is around 1400mb. Gnome download size is around 450mb and install size is around the same as kde-full. kde-full and Gnome both install their own apps; video player, music player, web browser, file manager, image viewer, mail client (kmail), terminal and some more stuff. I also wondered few months back what people used and most of the polls and posts I read listed Gnome and KDE as the top 2, one of the reasons is they offer all of those apps by default so people don't have to go and install anything else. I don't like Gnome, it's been a while since I last tried it though but as far as I read on the web it hasn't changed a bit and still is a resource hog, plus I don't really like its design. Some people don't even use a full DE at all but a window manager like openbox, i3, awesome, icewm ... some people don't really choose their DE; if you install Linux Lite is XFCE, if you go with Solus is budgie, Bodhi uses enlightenment, Fedora Gnome (the default one not the spins), KaOS KDE, Linux Mint cinnamon (the default) and there are many others which offer different choices of DEs as well as WMs, yes, in some of these you can install a different DE but sometimes you have to work really hard to make it work as you want it to, as I did to install and use a different DE in LL in a VM some time ago. So no, I don't think XFCE is "what everyone uses" nor I think is KDE or Gnome or any other for that matter, people will use what they see fit best for them, in my case it's been XFCE and from some time now awesome-wm, but like the old saying goes "There's no accounting for taste (my note: and/or needs)"
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

"Too much clicking."

Kinda like Windows utilities that cycle you through their redundant interfaces. Good or bad for ex-Windows users? I haven't counted the steps but in some cases might be about the same.

TC
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 07:49:11 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2019, 11:04:11 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Quote from: firenice03
What about the what if's - What if XFCE went away? testing now - saves for the future.
That, would be another real reason to change.

But, what if LL went away?

Quote from: firenice03
Its technology - one has to stay informed, one needs to trial similar/competitive software. XFCE may have also seen this and may answer back with better performance of their own or more eye candy/features or they don't - but who does that benefit?
On one hand, true, XFCE may get motivated to improve their package, because it seems unlikely they would simply want to drop the ball all of a sudden. On the other hand, it was pointed out in this thread how the scope of XFCE team, as well as social backing, cannot match those of KDE. Which is weird, since XFCE is what literally everyone uses or have used until now, while KDE was the favorite package of everybody, that nobody had actually used. I mean, was that support theoretical or what?

Quote from:  
No its not, change is for growth, additional features, make a new path from the old...
- What if FAT never grew/changed No FAT32 or EXT3/4, XFS, BTRF or NTFS - we'd be satisfied with small partitions.
These are not the 80's. One guy is not going to revolutionize the industry, at least statistically speaking.

Ideally speaking, good change emerges from cohesiveness, coherence and concord.

In the end, I guess it boils down to the question of, does switch to KDE meet the purposes and ideals of Linux Lite better than staying with XFCE, minding also the economy of that switch?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 11:17:23 PM by MS »

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2019, 10:39:51 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Well, you can use the keyboard; Alt+arrow keys to navigate through the items withoout even touching the mouse, once you find the one you're looking for just hit enter and it'll start. 

Having used computers for nearly 3 decades now, I'm well aware of that :)

But you can't do that in whisker menu, can you? At least not by default. I'm asking cause now I'm curious, it never ocurred to me to try that.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section