You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118666 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Honestly I think KDE would be a better choice for the future. Wayland is here to stay and I think KDE will seat itself on wayland completely within two years, whereas XFCE may sideline itself on Xwayland over that very issue. I don't care how long Xorg hangs on, maybe forever, and if it develops further great, but application developers are more and more going to choose to develop pure wayland applications as we move into the future. That's where things really stand despite opinions otherwise. Wayland is just better and lighter with modern video codecs and OS security. Chromebook OS already uses wayland with sommelier. LibreOffice has run on wayland for quite some time now and Firefox now builds for pure wayland when available even though some parts still require Xwayland.

What KDE would offer to LL aesthetically is an interface that could be customized to be even more familiar to Windows 10 refugees. I remain of the opinion that LL is still the best starter Linux DE for people newly coming from Windows and I always still install it for newcomers interested in Linux. Some things in the KDE GUI are natively more like the Windows GUI than XFCE will ever be. I also believe, given the LL base is Ubuntu, KDE would offer better DE stability for the near future. It may well be time for change.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »

Linuxkumpel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium P6100

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel X4500HD

LL 5.0 64 bit Packard Bell Easynote TK 85 (since 1.0.6)
Manjaro 20.1 Xfce 64 bit Thinkpad T420s
Pop!_OS 20.04 64 bit HUAWEI Matebook D (AMD)
Solus 4.1 Lenovo M30-70
PeppermintOS 10 64 bit Dell Inspiron 11-3162
ROSA 11 Fresh 64 bit Packard Bell dot SE

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Why I'm in favour of a future with KDE.

- It is Windows like
- Massive development team
- Detailed, almost to a point of overdoing it, configurability
- Stunning themes
- Mobile phone management with KDE Connect
- Continuously improving performance
- Konsole, has to be one of the best ootb Terminals available

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Correct. Although, I wouldn't rule out an experimental build sometime between now and 2021. Let's keep this discussion going. It's a massive decision, and I look forward to a variety of responses and views on both sides.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2019, 12:07:20 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@Jerry

One of the reasons for making this post was to also gauge how people felt if we switched to KDE. It wouldn't be in 5.x for obvious reasons one being can you imagine rewriting almost an entire Help Manual.... ouch :)

I did consider that.  So it sounds like the earliest chance for us to see KDE on Linux Lite is 2022.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 11:12:54 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
I do think you are not eager to switch to KDE, @Jerry, but I assume you take is as a professional responsibility to observe a field of shared interest, notably for potential profit, but also perhaps for potential competition coming from that direction. Either how, y'know my opinion, if it works, it could be given a shot in experiment, but the point is, whether the difference, is worth the fuss. Personally, if I do not like the KDE for whatever the reason and you offer only in KDE, I would call it an emergency.

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

One of the reasons for making this post was to also gauge how people felt if we switched to KDE. It wouldn't be in 5.x for obvious reasons one being can you imagine rewriting almost an entire Help Manual.... ouch :)

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2019, 08:16:58 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

No need to feel guilty, @Moltke. Jerry should take your question as a remark of recognition. I mean, when in a restaurant, you asked a staff member for a secret of taste to certain dish - meaning, you liked it - and they told you that unfortunately, this is a secret, coming from years of experience, nobody ought to feel offended, right? On the contrary, such question would be a sign that you may come and eat at the place more often.

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 07:35:24 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

@Moltke how I build an OS and get it to such low mb on first boot unfortunately, needs to remain a secret - it's my bread and butter and took literally years to reach a certain point. I haven't disabled any effects yet or done any of my tweaks so I can imagine that we would slip well below 400mb as a final product. The login theme is Sweet SDDM and the desktop theme is just Breeze and Breeze for icons.

Thanks for your answer @Jerry and I wasn't asking as much as a secret, sorry if it sounded like I was,  guess I chose the wrong words, also, I just took a closer and better look at that screenshot and noticed the 5.x on the top, I thought this wasn't that serious, my bad, should've known better. By the way, in my VM running KDE, the RAM usage at boot is around the same as yours. Disabling some desktop effects; minimize, maximize, close and open windows effects didn't change that so I guess it doesn't hurt letting them on, I also use breeze; icons and desktop.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 05:55:56 AM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Memory usage on manjarolinux on virtualbox in live mode and only htop open.
xfce about 720MB memory used
kde about 710MB memory used
gnome about 1500MB memory used task manger used because I had no idea how to install htop
with mint and kde I got about 700MB memory usage too.
Since I have many gigabytes of ram I care about CPU more.

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 04:54:17 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

I guess there is no reason to be ideological about XFCE. The point is, to be professional, though.

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 04:45:10 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

It's a space I'm watching closely. With so many developers onboard and it getting lighter by the day, with high configuration, it would be criminal to ignore it.

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 04:30:34 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I've avoided KDE because it, Gnome, and Unity all seemed to require more resources.  But if we can get it to be Lite, I'm game.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@Moltke how I build an OS and get it to such low mb on first boot unfortunately, needs to remain a secret - it's my bread and butter and took literally years to reach a certain point. I haven't disabled any effects yet or done any of my tweaks so I can imagine that we would slip well below 400mb as a final product. The login theme is Sweet SDDM and the desktop theme is just Breeze and Breeze for icons.

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 05:24:32 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I wonder how LXDE and the Enlightenment Desktop compare to XFCE now in polish/features/RAM usage (and the Moksha Desktop fork from Bohdi Linux which I believe came from E17).

It just so happens that I recently tried these as well as lxqt in antiX running from a usb with persistence enabled and while lxde, enlightenment and lxqt used much less RAM (around 300mb) they don't compare with xfce when it comes to ease of use and customization (at least for me).  I've tried many DEs over the years and always found myself back to xfce, I just feel at home with it. I've also tried a few window managers and find awesome-wm being the best for me.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section