You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118583 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
How has that happened?  KDE on par with Xfce?!  Not long ago I would have thought it impossible.
The main difference is that KDE has a massive, almost inexhaustible supply of developers, where as XFCE have just a handful. I really like KDE and how close it is to Windows and the level of configuration available. Plasma is really nice too.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

KDE has been my go-to DE for many years. Back in the KDE4 days, it was a bit heavy on RAM usage but still, many levels ahead of GNOME which is a downright pig on RAM usage with not that many features to back it up (at least this used to be true a few years ago). KDE5 (Plasma 5) is mostly at the point now where it can compete with XFCE's RAM usage with the compositors and extra eye candy effects disabled. At idle from a cold boot on OpenSUSE (probably KDE's flagship distro besides KDE Neon) it always was below 1GB of usage and more often than not under 650MB.

XFCE's level of polish really doesn't compare to KDE when you compare default look vs default look. With the right theme, fonts and icons and extra applets on the notification area, XFCE isn't that far off from KDE either (LL theming is spot-on!).

I wonder how LXDE and the Enlightenment Desktop compare to XFCE now in polish/features/RAM usage (and the Moksha Desktop fork from Bohdi Linux which I believe came from E17). Clearly its been a few years since I've hopped distros lol. Guess it's time to experiment again!
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 02:57:10 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
That KDE looks really nice! :) @Jerry did you install it via apt-get or did you built it by source along with the system? What did you use? kde-standard? kde-full? kde-plasma-desktop? I have a box running with kde-plasma-desktop and it doesn't look like this. What theme is that? By "A quick LL build of KDE" do you mean this has no xfce in it but KDE only? are you using all the desktop effects? did you customize that to your liking? disabled some effects? sorry for asking so many things but I'm really curious as to what someone as experienced as you uses and customizes KDE. I've always found KDE interesting; krunner is such a great feature, if only xfce had something similar  ;D However, I also find it kind of overwhelming and a bit tiresome; You click on an item which opens a new item pointing to a sub-menu which points to another sub-menu so you can just do something as simple as setting a keyboard shortcut... tiresome ... xfce is ready to work in a blink of an eye. I admit I've never used it for too long because of this and it eating my pc's resources, that being said, I got curious after reading a few posts on the web stating the very same thing you said; it doesn't seem to be such a resource hoge anymore, at least for now. They seem to be on the KDE 3 path, which was "lighter too" unlike version 4 which many people complain about. There's a fork of KDE 3 called trinity-desktop. Q4OS, a Debian based distro uses it as its default DE and I tried in a VM in Arch as well as in debian. I also tried Q4OS in a VM too and trinity is very light when compared to KDE 4.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:09:56 PM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 10:30:24 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Plasma, QT base, look and feel, and a few superior applications, and a European home office. A full featured (Suse) alternative DE to (RHEL) gnome. XFCE is a small player by comparison.

TC
Well then, wish KDE to surpass Gnome then.

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Plasma, QT base, look and feel, and a few superior applications, and a European home office. A full featured (Suse) alternative DE to (RHEL) gnome. XFCE is a small player by comparison.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 10:02:06 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

How does KDE get this popularity if so many people seem to have had abandoned it?

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 09:59:03 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

All those KDE developers, you'd think they could complete the APIs for wayland. I came up on Linux KDE stuff after the mainframe era and moved from Suse to Kubuntu but gave up on their stuff after a while as it grew heavier. Now those reasons all seem unimportant given modern hardware. Of late I have been having a very good experience with Debian 10 gnome on wayland and I expect KDE will get there too in the next two years and be on wayland (not Xwayland) on Debian stable. I wonder how XFCE (which has become very popular on Debian) will deal with that future. I would guess they will continue on Xwayland and not develop any specific DE wayland APIs, or maybe just wait for KDE to finish theirs and port those.

https://community.kde.org/KWin/Wayland
https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 08:26:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Doing LL on KDE would require running a simultaneous project, would it not?
It's just a fun experiment to verify the hype.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 08:26:01 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

How has that happened?  KDE on par with Xfce?!  Not long ago I would have thought it impossible.
The main difference is that KDE has a massive, almost inexhaustible supply of developers, where as XFCE have just a handful. I really like KDE and how close it is to Windows and the level of configuration available. Plasma is really nice too.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 08:24:30 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Doing LL on KDE would require running a simultaneous project, would it not?

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »

UltraCookie

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Flavoured Chocolate Cookie
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-4210M Dual Core 2,60 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4600

That's cool. Always thought KDE looked really nice but never tried it as my laptop isn't the most powerful machine.
Linux Lite 5.0 on Lenovo Edge 540 <3

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 03:19:29 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I've been noticing on the Internet there is talk of KDE catching up to XFCE in terms of performance and memory usage.
Curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see if there was anything in it, and yeah, they are pretty close now.

A quick LL build of KDE...

Interesting...

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section