You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118633 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2020, 07:53:50 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
@Moltke it's good to get some 'wife and mother' feedback. Thank you :)

No problem @Jerry Honestly, it happened by chance ;D it wasn't like I planned to do that, it just happened; I was using the laptop where I've been playing with KDE from a USB in persistent mode - and yes, it runs pretty smooth - and they were there like "what are you playing with now? another Linux?" I told them to give it a try and tell me what they thought.

Like I said in that post, I've been using plasma for a month or so, comparing performance against XFCE, by the way, in this same laptop I've installed XFCE too and while kde boots at 340-360mb xfce boots at 260-300mb, still a bit lighter than plasma but not for much. Resource usage is about the same in both when running a browser with one tab open - haven't really checked with more than one -, file manager and terminal; around 800mb in kde and around the same in xfce. I asked you a while back when you first started this thread how you compared xfwm4 against kwin regarding performance and you told me it was still early days but that at that moment you didn't see much of a difference, which I agreed too by then, but now I can say that kwin seems to outperform xfwm4 and here's why:
I've looked into it and still can't understand exactly whether that's the case or not but it seems that xfwm4 uses xrender and doesnt support opengl while kwin uses both opengl and xrender being the former the default which IMHO offers a better graphics performance since it uses hardware accelaration, well at least thats how I understand it, correct me if Im wrong please. Xfwm4 does what it does really good, it's never failed to me but it doesnt have as many features as kwin when it comes to manage windows; kwin offers plenty of options to configure the windows to behave the way you want them to, that being said, I cant really say whether thats a very good thing or not because I havent done anything in that regard except for a few changes here and there like windows' border size which unlike xfwm4 is not governed by the theme but by kwin itself, apart from that I'm still using most of the defaults.

Dolphin is a great file manager, I don't think or can't say its better than thunar since it doesn't support root mode which is disabled by default and I use that quite a lot, then again, I can do the same things from the terminal only that it feels more confortable using a GUI. Another feature thunar has that dolphin doesn't is the ability to create custom actions which I also use a lot too, however, one could install some plugins that extend their capabilities, apart from that it works really good and havent had any issues with it so far.

Konsole is a great terminal but I do prefer xfce's; its easier to use and customize, at least from a newbie point of view I think and honestly for me too.

Regarding the panel I have mixed feelings, I like that it comes with useful widgets by default unlike xfce's where you have to add them by yourself, I'm talking about things like network, volume control, clipboard manager, keyboard switcher/settings widgets but apart from that, I don't see any advantage over xfce's.

Whisker menu is good but KDE's is better, yeah; you can search, find and open anything in your pc from it; browser bookmarks, files, directories, software, anything. You can't do that in whisker.   

I won't talk about the looks because that is a whole different subject and in my opinion it's kind of irrelevant; one likes what one likes and not everyone likes what the rest do. Besides, LL has proven that xfce can look really nice and beautiful :)

Well, I just wanted to share a bit of my experience while using plasma so far and will keep on doing it when I see fit. Hope others may find it of any help when considering a probable LL move to using  plasma as the default DE.

Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

And if KDE continues to trend lighter in many respects than Xfce, I'd support it too.  It's a hard balance between "newbie friendly" and "resource hungry."

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2020, 01:29:42 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

@Moltke it's good to get some 'wife and mother' feedback. Thank you :)

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2020, 12:11:53 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I had my wife and her mother try KDE's plasma desktop, they don't use Linux but windows, they told me they found it easy to use and find stuff, that it looks very much like Windows so opening programs and files wasn't difficult at all, I also had them try XFCE, their experience was quite the opposite; they told me they found it more diffcult than they did with plasma to do the same things; look for and find stuff as well as opening files and programs. I frankly don't get the why but this is what they told me, maybe it's because I'm so used to XFCE that I think it's as easy to use as plasma, but it might not be the case for other people, well, it certainly wasn't for both my wife and her mother.  Since LL's been created with Windows users in mind looking to make the switch to Linux or who are already in that process and at least from the results I got in this test I did, with a very tiny sample though but still a sample - planning to do it with a larger one - and more importantly from LL's target audience and according to jerry's own words
Trust that whatever is decided upon in 2 years, it is purely for our target audience.
I think switching to KDE's plasma desktop may prove to be the right move.
I've been using the plasma desktop for like a month or so and so far I have to say that it's been a pleasant experience, I said in other opportunities how I like awesome window manager because it's keyboard driven, well, turns out so is plasma; every action you can think of  can be configured to be triggered from a key combo, yes, every action; launch/close programs; minimize/maximize, move/resize, switch/alternate windows and many more options. I love XFCE but Plasma's a great DE too and now that's not such a resource hog anymore - at least for now - and quoting jerry's words again
With so many developers onboard and it getting lighter by the day, with high configuration, it would be criminal to ignore it.
having a LL+Plasma DE might be for the best. :)

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2020, 11:04:14 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Geeting eager to compare an official "Made by Jerry" Linux Lite in KDE Vs XFCE! ;)

Go Jerry Go! .
Edit : wording
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:07:47 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2020/01/xfce-4-16-client-side-decoration

Xfce 4.16 is switching to GTK header bars, but they’re more commonly referred to as client side decoration (CSD) as window borders are rendered client side (GTK), not by the window manager.

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2020, 07:08:53 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Advertised as up to date with QT5. Should be fine on KDE.

https://www.digikam.org/news/2019-02-10-6.0.0_release_announcement/

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2020, 01:04:51 AM »

robinc

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64

One frinstance of issues with Plasma is digikam.

Certainly from 18.04 and up to and including 'buntu 19.10 there's a qt library clash which means the digikam will not open an image for editing after opening one previously.

This is purely down to the frozen side of Debian/Ubuntu development and release process. So that's effectively 2 years of dysfunction.

Now I appreciate that for many that's a "who cares" moment, but actually digikam is a very widely used bit of software - and yes there are alternatives and no I don't need to know about them thank you.

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Since Xfce went to GTK3 (which is a lot "heavier" than GTK2) and KDE went to Plasma 5 (much lighter than before), their resource consumption is comparable!  Gnome is still a fat resource hog though.

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:32 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
And KDE closer to the top in alphebetical order than XFCE! ;)

Let the Flame Warz... begin! ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:33:44 PM by torreydale »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Some excellent views on both sides of the table here. Thank you to everyone who offered information here, this community is wonderful! I have a lot to think about.

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2020, 11:40:48 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

A very good article/tutorial on KDE's plasma desktop; how tos, tips and tricks. I learnt a lot from it http://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2019/218/Tutorial-Plasma

:)

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2020, 12:25:20 AM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x

I would definitely throw out a dev edition on any drastic change to LL, including a change in DE. To release suddenly a LL KDE without any prior warning or consultation, well, it's simply unthinkable for me. To reiterate, this thread is asking for opinions on such a switch. A thread title does not imply an impending move to KDE. It simply asks the question...what if?

It's always fun to experiment  :) . If a test version comes about I will help. KDE with LL is a galvanising idea to me.

P.S. Forgive me if my first couple sentences of my last post appeared to be a bit inimical, but then again, this is one of those 'opening a can of worms' kind of topics.

I ... will welcome it if you decide so ...
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #104 on: January 02, 2020, 07:35:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

There would likely be a developmental version of Linux Lite KDE so that we in the forum can test it out and report issues.  A desktop environment change for a production version of Linux Lite isn't even in the cards before June 2022.  That is over two years from now.  And that is the earliest this would happen, if it happens at all.

I would definitely throw out a dev edition on any drastic change to LL, including a change in DE. To release suddenly a LL KDE without any prior warning or consultation, well, it's simply unthinkable for me. To reiterate, this thread is asking for opinions on such a switch. A thread title does not imply an impending move to KDE. It simply asks the question...what if?

« Reply #103 on: January 02, 2020, 07:31:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I'd like to reiterate what Jerry stated earlier.  It seems like some of us are making anecdotal history affect how we feel about this issue.

Antergos doesn't exist anymore.  Github is now owned by Microsoft.  Those are two recent examples of how the past does not equal the future.  My guess is the majority of all users do most of their computing via a browser and they occasionally access a file manager.  Switching desktop environments isn't going to rock the world of grandma or grandpa as long as the browser icon is still in the bottom left, next to the file manager icon and the Menu button.  That can be accomplished in KDE.  So relax.

There would likely be a developmental version of Linux Lite KDE so that we in the forum can test it out and report issues.  A desktop environment change for a production version of Linux Lite isn't even in the cards before June 2022.  That is over two years from now.  And that is the earliest this would happen, if it happens at all.

We should stop being so kneejerk about this and let Jerry do his thing.

Once again you've absolutely nailed everything, it's like our minds have melded into one :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section