You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118473 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2020, 08:39:45 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
"It might come as a surprise, but the reason why we decided to add CSD support after so many years of being reluctant was Wayland."

Imagine that !!

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2020, 08:04:59 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:13:43 AM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2020, 09:56:33 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Net install like Debian lets you build what you want. LL's version of XFCE is highly modified and appended with additonal distro specific software which would definitely make it more difficult to range between QT and GTK and Xorg and Wayland. Expect one or the other as seperate LL ISOs without a net install repository configuration, which in itself would be a very expensive undertaking, and a heavy burden on the developers, and wrought with problems for new users. The code cleanliness and usability of this distro is its primary cache.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2020, 09:34:29 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Friday's broken brain idea!

I don't think it would be feasible but having the choice of XFCE or KDE on boot/install would be awesome.
But, since I didn't see any distros doing that and always having seperate distro flavors with their own ISO files, I guess this is an Utopian though (or heresy?). ;)
Also, the size of the ISO could be huge... so sad.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2020, 11:35:16 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

After seeing this thread I tried adding KDE to linux lite. It turns it's not possible. I don't like that. One of linux appeal is that you have the freedom to do what you want with it.

Its possible, although not necessarily advised. If you choose to there isn't support. Remember LL is built for newbies and Windows refugees.
LL is what is says - Simple and Fast.. and of course FREE!

Jerry has built LL to be very stable.

Installing any DE is of course always up to the user - but its not a simple click and install as would any DE that's not prebuilt with the OS...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2020, 08:41:55 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Heya!

Changing desktop is always a challenge.
Starting from a "core" build would get you the most success, but even if I used Linux a few years, I still consider myself a noob when dealing with "deep" stuff.

I successfully installed XFCE on two other distro that didn't have it, results were... o.k., but not bug free.
It gave me more respect for distro builders like Jerry. It can be a labor of love sometime ;) .
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2020, 01:02:09 AM »

BerryBenson

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

After seeing this thread I tried adding KDE to linux lite. It turns it's not possible. I don't like that. One of linux appeal is that you have the freedom to do what you want with it.

« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2020, 06:07:32 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

That... is impressive! o.0

With Jerry's magic touch, can't wait to try it out.

Can't... wait... ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@Jerry ,

I hadn't logged into the forum in a bit, and this is exactly the topic that was on my mind.  Thanks for the update.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2020, 06:08:09 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Haven't done an update on this VM for a while, check out the memory use with everything installed. Unreal.

« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2020, 05:05:24 PM »

Benedict Yappy

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
One thing I'm not liking is KDE "wallet." Every time I boot, kwallet asks me for a password just to connect to my own wifi from my own computer (which I logged into with my own username and password). That doesn't seem well thought out. :) I've got a feeling it serves a very good purpose and in the future we're all going to be using wallets. But, right now, I'm not liking it.

Issues discussed here are probably more specific to distro default config than KDE...

kWallet is a secret keeper, which can be secured with a password not necessarily identical with linux user password. If the login system assume that it is identical when it isn't, and try to open the wallet with the linux user password, you get error message on every login for failing to open the wallet.

Wallets store not only trivialities like wifi passwords,  but also encryption keys to more important stuffs like Chrome browser data, that includes saved online passwords. Linux give us the possibility to have multi wallet with multi password, but the default behavior (asking wallet password every login) might feel inconvenient.

On my daily driver, I set my default wallet password identical to linux user login password, and configure the login system to open the wallet when logging in (using linux user password as wallet password). This is configured in /etc/pam.d folder.

If the operating system is configured for simplicity, then assuming that the wallet password and user password will be the same is very sensible, but to my experience hopping distro so far, most distro does not do this by default.

Other issues discussed, ie waiting for NFS to cleanly unmount before shutting down, is probably also related with the distro's default configuration, hidden in places like samba config, systemd services config, timeout settings etc. These are things (Jerry's bread and butter?) which casual users would never configure themselves (not many windows user know how to use msconfig, not all linux users ever enter /etc folder)

Kubuntu's default might be carried over from Ubuntu's use case as server, it should must wait for services within it to really gracefully exit before OS shut down (SQL database corruption is a bad bad bad thing), while in GUI systems, a simple confirmation is all it takes to gracefully exit all GUI program.

I'm sure that the fine tuning of LL can also be carried over into KDE, to ensure an experience more attuned to what users expect. I just want to say that resolving these issues are perfectly doable with KDE.

PS: I was just trying out LL, and I think it is a distro I can use immediately after installation, instead of needing-customization-to-be-usable. I'll use LL as my OS-in-flashdrive that I use for backup purposes. (I use openSUSE tumbleweed KDE for daily driver).

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I created root access in my KDE LL build. Took a few hours of research to get a reliable, working fix.
This is the way it would be implemented for Dolphin & Kwrite:

.desktops: (may have to create folders)
~/.local/share/kservicess5/ServiceMenus/

polkits:
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions

Create a polkit file for Dolphin:

com.ubuntu.pkexec.dolphin.policy

Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
  "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
  "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<vendor>Linux Lite</vendor>
  <vendor_url>https://linuxliteos.com/</vendor_url>

<action id="com.ubuntu.pkexec.dolphin">
    <message>Authentication is required to run Dolphin</message>
    <icon_name>window-close</icon_name>
    <defaults>
      <allow_any>auth_admin</allow_any>
      <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
    </defaults>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/dolphin</annotate>
    <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">true</annotate>
  </action>

</policyconfig>

.desktop for Dolphin:

dolphin-root.desktop

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Action root]
Exec=pkexec dolphin
Icon=window-close
Name=Open as Admin

[Desktop Entry]
Actions=root
Icon=window-close
MimeType=inode/directory
ServiceTypes=KonqPopupMenu/Plugin
Type=Service
X-KDE-Priority=TopLevel
X-KDE-StartupNotify=false

For Kwrite, rinse and repeat, just change where obvious.

I haven't tried this yet but will do as soon as I figure how to on my kde box with debian. I did find this post https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2019/09/19/how-to-run-kde-dolphin-kate-and-kwrite-as-root-user/ and the solutions posted there worked just fine.

EDIT: Just found a solution here http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142371#p700768 and it was as easy as install a pkg. :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:33:59 AM by Moltke »

« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Don't know if you saw this: https://pointieststick.com/category/new-contributor-friendliness/

Definitely going the right direction.

TC

« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »

ldcdc

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@trinidad:

True, it could be a matter of opinion. It is probably why it's been like that for so many years. It's just not how Windows works out of the box, as far as I can remember, and LL's goal is to be as familiar as possible. LL switching to KDE would imply trying to be both as Windows-like and as XFCE-like as possible.

When it comes to moving files manually instead of deleting, that doesn't fit my typical work process. Even most people's IMHO. Say I'm sorting out image/video files. Instead of deleting from the viewer itself, I would have to hit Ctrl-X, switch to a file manager window, hit Ctrl-P, go back to the image viewer. Then do that for hundreds of files.

True, sometimes I might be able to get away with using very large thumbnails, and skip a couple of steps there, use drag and drop etc. No matter what though, it's pretty hard to beat just hitting Del, and do that at any time, without all the preparation.

I have always thought implementations of trash folders on Linux to be unnecessary given the way Linux updates and the file paths it uses compared to MS.

True, the lack of actual zeroing out could have led to an easier "Undelete" process. We just don't have it though. And there are too many file systems, each with its own limitations.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section