You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

XFCE vs KDE

Author (Read 118677 times)

Re: XFCE vs KDE
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2019, 10:23:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Well, you can use the keyboard; Alt+arrow keys to navigate through the items withoout even touching the mouse, once you find the one you're looking for just hit enter and it'll start. 

Having used computers for nearly 3 decades now, I'm well aware of that :)

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2019, 10:16:41 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I'd like to ask your opinion about kwin performance when compared to xfwm4.

I don't have one yet, it's still early days. First impressions are that I don't see much of a difference.

Yeah, I feel the same. 371mb? Hey, good improvement there! keep it up! ;D

Gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the KDE Menu. Too much clicking. So I installed this one...

Well, you can use the keyboard; left Alt+arrow keys to navigate through the items without even touching the mouse, once you find the one you're looking for just hit enter and it'll start. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:35:35 PM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:46 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2019, 09:24:41 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Oh my...

All applications loaded, LibreOffice etc...

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2019, 08:13:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Gotta say, I'm not a big fan of the KDE Menu. Too much clicking. So I installed this one...

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I'd like to ask your opinion about kwin performance when compared to xfwm4.

I don't have one yet, it's still early days. First impressions are that I don't see much of a difference.

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Moltke sorry, but I don't want to spend time in this thread troubleshooting KDE installations. Take a look at the Arch KDE Wiki, it's very good.

@Jerry It's ok, I understand. I wasn't really asking as much for assistance but more like sharing. I have, that is how I learnt how to preview the theme ;D but haven't seen how to solve that ... yet. I want to say that I totally support this initiative, idea.  I love XFCE, it just works and it can be tweaked to run even smoother. Also, it doesn't take more than 10 mins to do basic customizations like keyboard shortcuts which in KDE I find kind of overwhelming; it seems that every key-combo is already in used for something else lol and since I'm not sure what changing that will do I leave it as it is, that being said, I think it's a good decision that you think on the future, the present is brilliant so why limit ourselves with so many posibilities denying the chance for improvement? I'd like to ask your opinion about kwin performance when compared to xfwm4.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 05:00:44 PM by Moltke »

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2019, 02:58:51 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

Why I'm in favour of a future with KDE.

- It is Windows like
- Massive development team
- Detailed, almost to a point of overdoing it, configurability
- Stunning themes
- Mobile phone management with KDE Connect
- Continuously improving performance
- Konsole, has to be one of the best ootb Terminals available

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

I'm not a DE follower, I tried different ones early on but why I stuck with LL and XFCE... Not only speed but stability. Other distro's running XFCE didn't seem as stable, or just worked out of the box.

Its technology - one has to stay informed, one needs to trial similar/competitive software. XFCE may have also seen this and may answer back with better performance of their own or more eye candy/features or they don't - but who does that benefit?

What about the what if's - What if XFCE went away? testing now - saves for the future.

I'm sure before anything became more than the idea, We would see a 2nd DE along side what LL is today, a trial/beta and even as it became a stable release it would coexist for at least a series to be adopted by all... (my assumption)

Change is inevitable..
The only real reason to change, is to satisfy the craving, but worse if there comes the regret.

No its not, change is for growth, additional features, make a new path from the old...
- What if FAT never grew/changed No FAT32 or EXT3/4, XFS, BTRF or NTFS - we'd be satisfied with small partitions.
Have to the goods with the bads -- Will there be work?, of course there will...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:46:51 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2019, 02:22:49 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
The only real reason to change, is to satisfy the craving, but worse if there comes the regret.

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2019, 02:19:36 PM »

Linuxkumpel

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium P6100

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel X4500HD

KDE is a playground of customizations. If you don't know your way around, you might run into problems. It requires a rethinking of the LL users. Many things are hot differently and work differently. I'm sick of Xfce.  ;)
LL 5.0 64 bit Packard Bell Easynote TK 85 (since 1.0.6)
Manjaro 20.1 Xfce 64 bit Thinkpad T420s
Pop!_OS 20.04 64 bit HUAWEI Matebook D (AMD)
Solus 4.1 Lenovo M30-70
PeppermintOS 10 64 bit Dell Inspiron 11-3162
ROSA 11 Fresh 64 bit Packard Bell dot SE

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

We must also face one assumption, which is, either with or without KDE, Lite at now is probably not going to be a 'number one' Linux distribution in any seizable future. It is the matter of doing things not only efficiently, but also with self respect - the respect of own time. It is not about being just good enough, it is about being reasonable altogether.

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@Moltke sorry, but I don't want to spend time in this thread troubleshooting KDE installations. Take a look at the Arch KDE Wiki, it's very good.

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

It should be noted here that my decision ultimately considers the future and beyond in regards to this topic. How can we best serve our community when it comes to core software choices?
XFCE , what is it's future? KDE, what lies ahead? What Windows like DE has the most stable, promising and well supported future?

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Some things in the KDE GUI are natively more like the Windows GUI than XFCE will ever be
Not so sure about this. KDE requires some learning, and yes, I know there's a lot of documentation available for that but still. XFCE is esier to use and unlike KDE you can customize it in no time without breaking it and ending with an usuable desktop, it happened to me some time ago. I haven't played too much with it this time since I've been trying to figure out how to make kwin and pulseaudio to run at boot, they're both added in autostart but they don't start, have to open konsole and run
Code: [Select]
kwin-x11 --replace & and
pulseaudio --check
pulseaudio -D so they do. I should mention that this VM has XFCE installed too, don't know if that's creating some kind of conflict within the system cause now when logged to xfce pulseaudio didn't start either. @Jerry  I installed sddm and wanted to try that sweet theme but I got some errors, something about Mail.qml:89:9: type clock unavailable and something else but can't read it in the preview window when running
sddm-greeter --test-mode --theme /usr/share/sddm/themes/Sweet I don't know if I installed it the wrong way; downloaded the theme from kde.store.org, extracted it and copied it to /usr/share/sddm/themes is that how it should be done? or is there other way? I googled about it but couldn't find anything. BTW, not sure and will have to check but it seems to me that sddm is lighter than lightdm too which is installed in the VM as well.

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Plenty of smaller but nonetheless popular distributions out there, did not even feature KDE option at the time when I was searching for a home use Linux. Suddenly, KDE kicks the door in, falls right into favor and everybody jumps on a bandwagon, after years of having the KDE neglected? Sounds efficient, but cheap. I do understand XFCE may not provide a future as bright as KDE, from what is being pointed out in this thread - I am a layman, after all - but some choices should maintain at least an appeal of good taste. I would not be as doubtful if Jerry decided to switch from XFCE to something even simpler, but it is just because KDE seems so promising, that it brings such doubt.

Notwithstanding, I can see why Jerry could opt for the KDE as soon as sensible. XFCE is nothing out of ordinary, while Linux Mint has this fancy 'Cinnamon' thing, next to XFCE and MATE. If KDE is going to be the next best thing for Linux, then going straight for the KDE would win a big edge for Lite, with all other distros wasting part time their energy, maintaining the good appeal of having other flavors available as well.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section