You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Why would anyone use Lubuntu over Linux Lite?

Author (Read 33839 times)

Re: Why would anyone use Lubuntu over Linux Lite?
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 06:01:52 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
Peppermint kinda reminds me of ChromeOS, basically it's a web browser and everything including the most-used apps are in the cloud instead of on the HDD.  But it was plenty fast on a really old Celeron desktop with 512 RAM when I tried it (maybe 2 years ago now).

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 08:40:48 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
The most LXDE I would install for "no0b" users would be Peppermint. It's an hybrid LXDE with XFCE Whiskers, etc. on top.
No where near as nice as Linux Lite of course, but I had a Pentium3 to manage with at the time ;) -  Going on the web was... lets say... difficult. :-S
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 07:25:07 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Things you didn't like about Lubuntu. There is always a way to tweak it to your liking. But, maybe not so much while using only 512MB RAM.
To be honest, I do not get it. Basic quality RAM is not as expensive as one might think - or my perspective is biased. I can see ultralight distros to be used in emergency scenarios, when running on some heavily limited resources, but otherwise, what prevents one from using at least one gigabyte of RAM? I guess in the 21st century I am not being particularly an elitist when asking at least for 1GB of RAM, right?

I can see it to be a sports type of challenge, where developers would compete in making the lowest memory consuming distro of all time, nonetheless, at the end of the day, I believe we all roll back to what makes the best practical sense.

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2019, 07:12:11 AM »

john smith

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
There is a perfect Linux distro for everybody. Either settle with the one your systems totally likes and hopefully you like it to. Something you don't like you move on. Linux is all about preferences and freedom of choice.

Lubuntu is using LXDE and Linux Lite is using Xfce. Linux Lite has a nice looking setup as default goes. Not so much with Lubuntu. I wouldn't say Lubuntu is terrible. But, since your system think so. Then I see why you think that.

Things you didn't like about Lubuntu. There is always a way to tweak it to your liking. But, maybe not so much while using only 512MB RAM.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Competition is good, ideally speaking. We should cherish the successes of those who oppose us. In the end, who would wish to live in a world where nobody is really worth of the other? Solid competition is like high bank note. Who wants to be counted in specie? To be obsessed with victory, is yet another topic.

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 08:33:57 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

I tried Lubuntu once, as it was always the go-to lightweight distro that was recommended for old machines, but didn't stick with it for very long. Desktops - I found LXDE customization difficult, not as intuitive as XFCE. Also, it looks a bit 'clunky' - not as polished as Xfce. The support time of only for 3 years was also a turn-off, unlike 5 years for LL. In the end it was a no-brainer for me ...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:36:16 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 07:32:45 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

@minesheep
I'm not surprised Firefox crashes on only 512MB RAM on LL - it is a very resource-hungry browser - Chromium (popular amongst Linux users) will use about half the RAM of Firefox, and Midori even less memory. Qupzilla is an extremely lightweight alternative (not sure though if it uses HTML5). You could try Slimjet (very fast), though I don't use it as I don't like closed-source software. Try at least some of these out & you might solve the browser-crashing problem on LL ...
I installed Palemoon browser a while back for my "low-ressource" install. Been using ever since to test stability which is pretty good so far (based on previous Firefox versions).
It's about 256MB usage (+some swap) for four tabs :  Youtube playing, LinuxLite Forums ;) , Google search and Distrowatch.

Note : Used it in Windows too for a media streaming station, it's stable but didn't check ressource of this version.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:35:04 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

@minesheep, I think it is either unnecessary or futile to worry too much about GNU/Linux world being called weird by the Windows users. Infact, it is weird and even if, so what?

For the Lubuntu, once gave it a brief look. Over the edge for me in what it does, as I wanted something feeling more modern. Maybe indeed it takes one to be attempting to use some old hardware, to be able to appreciate, but then, there are other functional level distributions as well. I know some of them do use alternative sets of utilities, as compared to what comes with the Linux Lite.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 12:26:57 AM by MS »

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:14:24 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

If someone x want to run firefox with 512mb of ram and firefox needs at least 384 mb RAM to work, then the OS and other software can have maximum 128mb of ram or it will not work.
If someone Y want to run some web browser with 512mb of ram the OS can have 512mb minus web_browser_ram_usage for an example if some web browser use half of the about 384 mb that is 192mb then it could run on LL that use about 256mb of ram because 192mb+256mb is less than 512mb.
Of course this means that both X and Y must have enough swap because this is the bare minimum.
Maybe Lubuntu uses firefox because Lubuntu developers won't like it to be known as "weird" because most windows users have sometimes used firefox and/or chrome but not other web browsers.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

@minesheep, perhaps I do not understand certain things, perhaps it is some kind of self imposed challenge being the disputed case, maybe it is for fun or a lifehack of some sort, but tell me, what is the problem with having 4GB of RAM? Modern web browsers are resource heavy, that is true, but why to also use a resource heavy web browser on an otherwise functional level system setup? If Lubuntu suggests heavyweight web browser, while recommending itself for older computers, it could be a misunderstanding.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

@minesheep
I'm not surprised Firefox crashes on only 512MB RAM on LL - it is a very resource-hungry browser - Chromium (popular amongst Linux users) will use about half the RAM of Firefox, and Midori even less memory. Qupzilla is an extremely lightweight alternative (not sure though if it uses HTML5). You could try Slimjet (very fast), though I don't use it as I don't like closed-source software. Try at least some of these out & you might solve the browser-crashing problem on LL ...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:08:27 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:24:06 PM »

minesheep

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Lubuntu uses less RAM more cpu about 128mb of ram
Linuxlite uses more RAM less cpu about 256mb of ram
So i use dualboot with lubuntu 16.04 and linux lite 3.8 on very old (15 or more years) computer. Have to because firefox crashes on LL with only 512m of ram because OS
not to drive users away from LL (because they can't use it) but if you want to use firefox consider making dualboot with lubuntu, but dont use newest version because RAM usage doupled in the few last versions so 14.04 (not supported) used about 1/4 of the ram that 18.04 use. I think 16.04 is the best for computer with (very) low RAM.
if you really want to have usable computer and you have less than 1,5gb of ram and less than two cpu cores the only way is upgrade your hardware.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:12 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Yeah... my reply was from my phone and it seems I missed OP's question at the end of the post entirely. (Slapping myself silly...)
Lubuntu is not "bad" it is just using a different desktop environment called LXDE. For me if surely does not have the same userfriendlinyness+prettinyness as XCFE + Whiskers menu.
(Menu it's not as configurable and desktop either).
LXDE is techically lighter than XFCE, but since it's only one part of the OS, having a new and updated Lubuntu and apps could easily take more ressource to run than a XFCE distro like Linux Lite, specially previous distros like 3.8 32bits or 2.8 32 bits.

There is also a Ubuntu distro using XFCE called Xubuntu, but, it is not has hip/cool/hot/great as the Linux Lite of the same generation.

As for the title question "Why would anyone use Lubuntu over Linux Lite?"... only reason I see is ressources. I personaly don't like it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 11:59:33 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 05:07:48 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

If I had a Celeron, I would dip it in Southern Ranch dipping sauce and eat it. ..... Oh, a CelerON ;) (friday's joke)
That would be celeriac, like cardiac. Though it would be funny to see a computer operating on a celeriac, a vegetable stable machine. Wonder though if a laptop could be powered with a potato made battery?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 02:02:26 PM by MS »

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

If I had a Celeron, I would dip it in Southern Ranch dipping sauce and eat it. ..... Oh, a CelerON ;) (friday's joke)

Yep Celeron + 512MB RAM... Pretty sure my dishwasher has more ressources, just kidding. Dont even know if LinuxLite 2.8 would be "workable"  on this, like internet and stuff I mean. Lowest I went was Pentium3M+512RAM and a "CD" drive. Has soon as I tried updating, it was lagging too much. Think I went with Peppermint (with updates) + Palemoon at the time, it had a weird soundcard too.

- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section