You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Which LL version should I consider?

Author (Read 2578 times)

Re: Which LL version should I consider?
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi!

Late to the show but here goes! ;)

If you know the configurations of the computers, you could check the memory amount on those.
LL5 uses more memory and could be important for older computers. Of course, it also depends on wath programs will be used.
If you can get the CPU model too, this would be useful.
64 bits was available on some Pentium's 4 single core I believe, Linux Lite 4 could be recommended there.
But... I have not checked if LL5 uses more "CPU power" then LL4, so this could be a non-issue.

For UEFI, Intel was officially dropping support for Legacy so I guess UEFI is the way to go... not that I'm happy about it. *grumble grumble*

Linux Lite 4 UEFI was made available with the Linux Lite 4.2 UEFI version, so you would have to go with that specific version.
Version 5 support UEFI by default.

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:32:55 PM »

bluzeo

• Linux Magazine writer
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Amd 8 core

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GT 210
Well for me . I try to keep up with with the project . For older machines though. You said it 3.2 . Then go to 4.0 for a lil bit. See if you hardware can do the distro  slightly older newer version.  Secondly secureboot / UEFI is sometimes better to keep for layer security but I would advise taking it off.  Cause it hinders the system somewhat.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

hey guys im Bluzeo and Linux Lite user that got his own open source company!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 09:02:51 PM »

tek10

• Occasional Poster
  • Patreon Supporter
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-5800K

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon HD7660D

• Kernel: 5.x
I agree, installing LL5 is the way to go. I have one system still running 3.8 and plan to replace it with 5.0 soon. I've been testing 5 on an older laptop and really like it.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
@JanetBiggar  You might try both LL 4 and 5, test them for a while, compare results and depending on those install the one which performed better, however, I do believe installing the latest LL 5 will be the right approach, if the machines do meet minimun requirements.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Which LL version should I consider?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »

JanetBiggar

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • iizidima
Hello Forum members,
I wondered if you would provide me with some opinions as to which version I should consider for some recently donated laptops that I will be preparing for the youth with whom I work in South Africa when we return next? 

Let me provide some background for those that aren't aware of the situation in which these laptops are used:
- Firstly, I am not particularly computer savvy, I am a veterinarian by profession but have managed ok with the the help of this forum and google.
- Many of the current laptops are 32 bit and I have been running LL 3.8 on all of them as it has been easier to trouble shoot issues knowing that they are all running the same version.
- While I will double check, it seems that lately more and more of the laptops that are being donated are 64 bit which would allow me to upgrade to version 4 or even 5.  I am going to check them all to ensure they have the minimum and hopefully the preferred specs for these higher versions.
- My main reason for moving on to either series 4 or 5 is because the end date for support for LL 3.8 is approaching (April 2021).
- these laptops are placed with High school students (ranging from grades 9 -12) and while they are mostly used for study the grade 12's also use them for various university on-line application and funding applications.   Items like Skype and similar aren't important as internet access is costly for the the youth so things are prioritize when they do have data.

I would appreciate suggestions as to which version people suggest and why?
I see that LL 4 is supported until 2023 and LL 5 until 2025, but beyond that longer support date are there other things I should consider?
Also, IF/WHEN I have the choice of Legacy boot over UEFI which one should I do - Legacy or UEFI?

Thanks in advance.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section