You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Transfer downloaded file from Linux to Windows

Author (Read 11174 times)

Re: Transfer downloaded file from Linux to Windows
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 09:19:02 AM »

LarryB1607

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel I5

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: intel onboard
Hello, Larry.
Instead of using Cut/Paste, try doing it by Copy/Paste. Once you're sure the copy went thru, you could delete the original if you wish. I do that all the time with files that my kid's windows pc needs, I get them while surfing on my linux pc and then copy them to his'.

Also, although LL4.8 is the only OS in my disk, I like to keep my personal files and non-OS related stuff in a separate NTFS partition that I mount whenever I wish. I also keep my image copies of LL's partitions there. I like it like that and works perfectly.

On hind sight, I wish I would have used copy/paste so I could at least experiment with it more.  I am running Linux from a USB HDD and I transferred the file to a NTFS partition (not the OS partition) on my laptops HDD.  I did redownload the file when I was in Windows so NBD.

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 09:00:33 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello, Larry.
Instead of using Cut/Paste, try doing it by Copy/Paste. Once you're sure the copy went thru, you could delete the original if you wish. I do that all the time with files that my kid's windows pc needs, I get them while surfing on my linux pc and then copy them to his'.

Also, although LL4.8 is the only OS in my disk, I like to keep my personal files and non-OS related stuff in a separate NTFS partition that I mount whenever I wish. I also keep my image copies of LL's partitions there. I like it like that and works perfectly.
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

Maybe another thing to try... but this depends on the hardware available.
A third possibility would be to use a network drive.
I personnaly have a NAS. But, quite a few routers have a USB port that you can plug a USB drive into and make one out of it.
Or, share a folder from a another compter on the network would work too.

Yeah... I like throwing ideas, sometimes they work but some just do a squishy sound when they miss and hit the ground, hehe!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 04:33:03 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
The only thing I can see where it might be the problem --
pasted the file into the Windows drive
Depending where you pasted; if you pasted into a Windows dir (ie. Windows/system32 etc) it may have come down to permissions issue - you'd probably have better luck into your home(user) directory - although you may still need to do any coping from LL to Windows as the elevated account. Unless you have a separate directory/partition - ie. DATA that can be used between the 2 OS.

I would not copy or poke around in the Windows systems directory mounted from another OS - unless you know what your doing... ESPECIALLY as root..  Accidentally remove extensions or de-register file association or change permissions....   
Similarly could be an issue within the User directory but less likely to corrupt the OS.
Another potential - fast boot may be enabled, where Windows has that (C:) partition 'locked' and if I recall is unusable (cannot be written to)

As mentioned - could be software specific and something was lost when wrote and copied between the different file systems.. And sometimes the easiest is the simplest...

Just a plugged nickle and food for thought ;)

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 03:06:02 PM »

LarryB1607

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like a USB drive it is.  Not sure why transferring a Windows file to a NTFS partition would not work and a USB drive might.  This just happened to be a >300 MB Windows update downloaded from MS catalogue.  It could have been any file or program.  It just happened that I was using Linux at the time and I happened to think of it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:13:59 AM by LarryB1607 »

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 10:51:07 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

"Next time save it to a USB device and when booting to windows copy/move it from it, I think that might work"

Depends on the segmentation of the update, and how many secure URLs are involved, and you should not use copy and paste. Better to download it directly to saved updates on the Windows partition which involves configuring the way Windows Update works. This is a Windows configuration issue, which can be reliably setup from Windows using hardware addressing and Windows Update. Also the OP is not clear on whether this is a single non-default application update or a Windows OS update. One may work with USB the other will most likely not.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 09:03:14 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I recently downloaded a Windows update while I was in Lite and thought I could transfer it to my Windows drive.  This was vs shutting down and booting into Windows.  I mounted the Windows drive and then pasted the file into the Windows drive.  I did a cut/paste and I could see that the file was moved.  I then unmounted the drive and went on with my business.  Went I eventually went into Windows and checked for the file, I was nowhere to be found.  What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

Next time save it to a USB device and when booting to windows copy/move it from it, I think that might work.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Nothing useful you can do without learning how to use Windows Update that way first... which is proprietary $oftware... at least that's the rumor... Otherwise, even if you get the downloaded file to show up in Windows it won't do you any good. Try MS documentation and a Windows help forum. Of course be prepared for everyone to ask you why in the world you want to do that in the first place...

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Transfer downloaded file from Linux to Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 10:25:57 AM »

LarryB1607

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I recently downloaded a Windows update while I was in Lite and thought I could transfer it to my Windows drive.  This was vs shutting down and booting into Windows.  I mounted the Windows drive and then pasted the file into the Windows drive.  I did a cut/paste and I could see that the file was moved.  I then unmounted the drive and went on with my business.  Went I eventually went into Windows and checked for the file, I was nowhere to be found.  What do I need to do to get this to work?

Thanks

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section