You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

UEFI Build?

Author (Read 2959 times)

Re: UEFI Build?
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:01:56 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I'm certainly not annoyed ohjrson, and have not ruled out UEFI completely. Forcing ones hand to adopt a technology is not right, so to those who imposed it upon people I say, I'll include it if and when we have no choice left...but we still have a choice, and must never forget that.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 03:46:53 PM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
Ok Jerry, Nuff said. I was not aware that you felt that way and I do apologize if I have offended you. (Or anyone else for that matter) I understand your against the technology.

But.....when and if you do decide to tackle the technology to include it with a build, LL3xx or 4xx whatever, I will be more than happy to assist in helping you.

In the mean time I will endeavor to pound ahead......
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:15 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Just like 64 bit, and 802.11, UEFI is here to stay, but such standardization is the onus of partnered entities like Intel/MS, and Amd/AMI, thus still optionally restricted by OEM licensing agreements that allow OEMs to opt for proprietary firmware, and thus parsed out rather peripatetically to the Linux community. Once standardized it will be no problem, which is the proposed point of the letter "U". "Who knows?" is a fair answer. The "U" could stand for Useless just as easily, or Utterly Unnecessary as well. I have heard "Usually Extortion Feeds Intel" used as an anti-acronym. 

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:08:34 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

gold_finger is absolutely correct. To clarify, on the other thread I have said no UEFI - this refers to Series 3.x I am against the techonology, I've been pretty clear about this on numerous occasions. The clearest I can be at the moment is:

Quote from: gold_finger
Somewhere down the line, who knows?

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:22 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
I don't know whether a UEFI build is in the future for LL or not.  The immediate future, probably not.  Somewhere down the line, who knows?  (EDIT:  Just saw Jerry's answer on your poll -- no UEFI, period.)

You've got a few options:
  • If you don't plan to dual-boot with Windows 10, then you can simply wipe it out and change the boot mode of the computer to Legacy/CSM and install LL as you normally would to any non-UEFI computer.  (Works same way as installing to an older BIOS-based computer.)
OR, if you do plan on dual-booting with Windows:
  • You could re-install Windows in Legacy/CSM mode, then install LL in that mode too.  That would be time consuming but is an option if you insist on using LL.  (If you didn't know, you can download a legal copy of the Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft and make an install USB out of it.)
  • Keep Windows in UEFI mode, but install LL in Legacy mode.  You'll need to go into UEFI settings and change the boot mode to boot into one or the other.  If booting in UEFI mode, it will boot Windows; in Legacy mode, it will boot LL.  If you want to attempt this let us know beforehand so we can give specific instructions to accomplish that.  It's not too hard, but partitioning is slightly different.
  • Follow this tutorial in combination with the video to do a UEFI install of LL.  Yes, it's a bit convoluted and isn't the easiest to follow, but it can be done.  I'd highly recommend using something like Macrium Reflect to fully image your Windows install and create a rescue disk first before attempting the UEFI procedure for LL.
  • Switch to another distro that supports UEFI booting.  Linux Mint Xfce is very similar to LL and is also beginner friendly for Windows users.  There are plenty of others too, like Xubuntu, Vector, Voyager, etc.  You could do a search on Distrowatch for Xfce-based distros for more.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 01:36:44 AM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

UEFI Build?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:50:44 PM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
OK I know from the other post in the testing of the UEFI build that it was determined that it would sort of not be pursued. That is unfortunate. Especially for all the Windows 10 users that hate Windows 10. (Me Included) I am in the sense forced to use Windows 10 simply because I 1.) I can't wrap my head around all the stuff you have to do to actually load LL3 into a UEFI booting win 10 computer. 2.) I really am too hesitant on performing all that has to be done to re-write the boot log or whatever to get LL3 to boot up properly in a dual boot system with Win 10. 3). It is the most commonly used OS for new computers. 4.) IMHO This is kind of contrary to the goal of LL is it not? I was under the impression LL is to replace windows and be as simple to use as windows. (whether it was designed for Win XP replacement or not.) Keeping that in mind I am going to start a poll and see how many people in the forum would like to see the UEFI build attained. I for one would like to see it as my New computer is too slow with Win 10 and I know that with LL3 it would be so much faster.

So that being said... PLEASE RECONSIDER!!!
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section