• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

• Linux Lite: 5.2 64bit

• CPU: Intel Xeon Dual CPU's E5645 2.4GHz 12 Cores

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
See number #2 post for a reminder of Translation status in Linux Lite. Please respect the process. Lite Tweaks is set up as a test case. It is not an indication that translations have started.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Re: Translate Linux Lite
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 06:36:20 AM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux for all

@Jerry See number #2 post for a reminder of Translation status in Linux Lite. Please respect the process. Lite Tweaks is set up as a test case. It is not an indication that translations have started.
I respect that. I just want to say that I have now translated Lite Tweaks into Danish.

I do a lot to spread the word about Linux Lite in Denmark. I'm making 2 videos. Part 1 which deals with the introduction and installation of Linux Lite. I'm done with it.

Part 2 will deal welcome screen with update, installation of language packs, installation of drivers, Lite software, Restore points and so on, i.e. a total review.

Setting up mirrors, installing programs with synaptic. Review of everything in settings manager. I expect to finish it in the coming week. They will then come up on Youtube and Vimeo.
"I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »

Moltke

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member

• Linux Lite: 5.0 64bit

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I also agree that the pictures in the target language are important, but it will be a huge work. From another view if you see pictures even if there are in English at the most of them you will understand what is meaning.

It might be true for some of the pictures but most do need to be in the target language, specially those dealing with sensible procedures that need to be error proof. Take the Securely Erasing files Permanently for example

Down below it reads: Setup custom actions that will appear in the file managers context menu do you think people will just "get" what it means by only looking at the picture? Probably not.

there's a lot of text in there which is in English and explains something quite important.

could anyone tell what's the final result just by looking at the pictures with no idea what it says in English? Maybe, maybe not, I think not. If that were the case, there would be no point/need in translating the help manual in the first place, would it? as everyone could easily and securely deal with the different not so easy to perform actions explained in there. So, yes, we need to translate the pictures too, not just words.

Now that you are suggesting the repo, it can host not only the spanish work but every translating work with branches (I'm not really sure if it's the way how it works;do you know how commits work in github? So, every language branch have a commiter).

Neither am I lol. Github documentation is almost as good as Linux Lite's :D so I guess is a matter of reading that and get to work :)

Also, @Moltke, your tutorial is pretty good, but it's still a Google translation and, as you wrote there, it's not a very trusty way. So we can try to make a whole native translation if we add a button or something... I don't know; things to talk.

Yea, I know but it does help in those cases where users' English is 0. 
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 07:55:42 AM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning

• CPU: AMD E1-2100 APU

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD KABINI

So, yes, we need to translate the pictures too, not just words.
I completely agree.

Neither am I lol. Github documentation is almost as good as Linux Lite's :D so I guess is a matter of reading that and get to work :)

So, let's get started with this.

Yea, I know but it does help in those cases where users' English is 0.

And of course! I'm not saying otherwise. But let's say that is a great temporaly solution, but we can work together to improve that with native translations.

And, about @Nanayaw suggestion I think it's a not really hard task, but a huge time taker at some point. Also, by now, as @Jerry is saying, let's only do things that doesn't demands on his presence. Later, when LL translations starts officialy we can start talking about coding.

That's what I think, maybe I'm totally wrong and missunderstood Jerry.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux for all

Maybe :-\ , I dare not interfere anymore
"I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning

• CPU: AMD E1-2100 APU

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD KABINI

Maybe :-\ , I dare not interfere anymore

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you are interfering or something. I was only trying to say that first things first... If Jerry is too busy to be fully involved within this, then we'll need to do as much as we can by our own.

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Xeon Dual CPU's E5645 2.4GHz 12 Cores

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

If Jerry is too busy to be fully involved within this, then we'll need to do as much as we can by our own.

Some people don't seem to be listening to me here. Thread CLOSED. No more threads on this until, and I repeat for the last time, 'The project is ready'.
Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:58:06 PM by Jerry

Tags: translate 

Download Linux Lite 5.2 today - See Release Announcements