You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Translate Linux Lite

Author (Read 12467 times)

Re: Translate Linux Lite
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
If Jerry is too busy to be fully involved within this, then we'll need to do as much as we can by our own.

Some people don't seem to be listening to me here. Thread CLOSED. No more threads on this until, and I repeat for the last time, 'The project is ready'.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:58:06 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2020, 12:38:05 PM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E1-2100 APU

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD KABINI

That's what I think, maybe I'm totally wrong and missunderstood Jerry.
Maybe :-\ , I dare not interfere anymore

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that you are interfering or something. I was only trying to say that first things first... If Jerry is too busy to be fully involved within this, then we'll need to do as much as we can by our own.

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 02:46:01 PM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux for all

Maybe :-\ , I dare not interfere anymore
"I can resist everything except temptation" - Oscar Wilde

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 07:55:42 AM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning
    • View Profile

So, yes, we need to translate the pictures too, not just words.
I completely agree.

Neither am I lol. Github documentation is almost as good as Linux Lite's :D so I guess is a matter of reading that and get to work :)

So, let's get started with this.

Yea, I know but it does help in those cases where users' English is 0.

And of course! I'm not saying otherwise. But let's say that is a great temporaly solution, but we can work together to improve that with native translations.

And, about @Nanayaw suggestion I think it's a not really hard task, but a huge time taker at some point. Also, by now, as @Jerry is saying, let's only do things that doesn't demands on his presence. Later, when LL translations starts officialy we can start talking about coding.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I also agree that the pictures in the target language are important, but it will be a huge work. From another view if you see pictures even if there are in English at the most of them you will understand what is meaning.

It might be true for some of the pictures but most do need to be in the target language, specially those dealing with sensible procedures that need to be error proof. Take the Securely Erasing files Permanently for example

Down below it reads: Setup custom actions that will appear in the file managers context menu do you think people will just "get" what it means by only looking at the picture? Probably not.

there's a lot of text in there which is in English and explains something quite important.

could anyone tell what's the final result just by looking at the pictures with no idea what it says in English? Maybe, maybe not, I think not. If that were the case, there would be no point/need in translating the help manual in the first place, would it? as everyone could easily and securely deal with the different not so easy to perform actions explained in there. So, yes, we need to translate the pictures too, not just words.

Now that you are suggesting the repo, it can host not only the spanish work but every translating work with branches (I'm not really sure if it's the way how it works;do you know how commits work in github? So, every language branch have a commiter).

Neither am I lol. Github documentation is almost as good as Linux Lite's :D so I guess is a matter of reading that and get to work :)

Also, @Moltke, your tutorial is pretty good, but it's still a Google translation and, as you wrote there, it's not a very trusty way. So we can try to make a whole native translation if we add a button or something... I don't know; things to talk.

Yea, I know but it does help in those cases where users' English is 0. 
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 06:36:20 AM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux for all

@Jerry See number #2 post for a reminder of Translation status in Linux Lite. Please respect the process. Lite Tweaks is set up as a test case. It is not an indication that translations have started.
I respect that. I just want to say that I have now translated Lite Tweaks into Danish.

I do a lot to spread the word about Linux Lite in Denmark. I'm making 2 videos. Part 1 which deals with the introduction and installation of Linux Lite. I'm done with it.

Part 2 will deal welcome screen with update, installation of language packs, installation of drivers, Lite software, Restore points and so on, i.e. a total review.

Setting up mirrors, installing programs with synaptic. Review of everything in settings manager. I expect to finish it in the coming week. They will then come up on Youtube and Vimeo.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 02:03:10 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

See number #2 post for a reminder of Translation status in Linux Lite. Please respect the process. Lite Tweaks is set up as a test case. It is not an indication that translations have started.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 01:52:34 AM »

Nanayaw

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU 4 cores

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD ARUBA
Hello All

the german and I've seen also danish language for translation of LL Tweaks are done with transiflex, I don't know if it also could be used for translation of the tutorials.
It works fine and % are there is a good tool.

I also agree that the pictures in the target language are important, but it will be a huge work. From another view if you see pictures even if there are in English at the most of them you will understand what is meaning.

The tutorial is actual in HTML format and I'm not firm with it, but let me suggest an easy way. 

1. If we generate a template with the english test and pictures >> it could be done by open the html with LibreOffice Writer (!!!Copy the Manual folder before !!!)
2. Do the translations and safe it
3. Doublecheck of transllation form another native speaker
4. Export all as PDF or each categorie seperate
5. Modify the Help Manual HTML add. language selection or detection.
6. Set link to the languages PDF categorie files >> I don't know if it will be possible otherwise the files could safed as HTML and then linked.

See example file attached

I know it is not the best way but it did not need so much work on programmer side.

The best will be if Jerry share his mind about all the cases we disscussd, so that we move in the right direction from the beginning.

Greetings

Nanayaw

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 07:18:06 PM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning
    • View Profile

If somebody could provide French, Portugies or other languages speaken from a lot of people,
then a wide range of the world could be covered.

Nanayaw

@Nanayaw Exactly, need some more people to start creating a "Translation team", so we can help each other to implement and improve the translations.

I soon realized it wasn't only translating words but images as well; perform every action as explained in the help manual in the target language, Spanish in our case, take screenshots and insert them in the translation too. This is a lot of work and I just didn't have the time nor the experience to do so at the moment, since you're now offering yourself maybe we could join forces, we could set up a github repo to keep track of our work. :)

That is true, we first need to list all of the things needed to do in order to translate everything. You alredy have an starting point, so we can start with that. Let's join forces! Let's set up the github repo and start working with that.

Now that you are suggesting the repo, it can host not only the spanish work but every translating work with branches (I'm not really sure if it's the way how it works;do you know how commits work in github? So, every language branch have a commiter).

Finally, @TheDead have some points:

The screenshots thing, I think, is necessary. Maybe we can have one person to specifictly do it (in all of the submited translations), that person doesn't even have to understand all of the languages, only take the screenshots when the translations are ended.

I don't really know how it works to use two language systems (Ubuntu and LL native translations), that's something that a coder needs to answer.

The translation completion percentages is a really great idea.

The biggest issue, as you said, is the pro/technical person to translate, but we can think about that once the "small things (tutorial, LL apps, etc.)" gets done.

Also, @Moltke, your tutorial is pretty good, but it's still a Google translation and, as you wrote there, it's not a very trusty way. So we can try to make a whole native translation if we add a button or something... I don't know; things to talk.

So, let's keep talking.

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 05:49:40 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
(2 replies posted while typing this... yeah I didn't think about Screenshots... arggg. Not doing screenshots except when critically needed WOULD accelerate translations a lot...)

It's been years since I programmed anything (excepts scripts).I could be completely out of touch and I didn't look on how translations work, but taking from the PhantomPDF (foxit) language pack settings as example ;
They only support english by default. But when you go in languages setting, you can download a Language Pack which is clearly labelled as "Provided by the community".
Point is, you could have a system language for the OS via Ubuntu, and another for the Linux Lite apps and modules, independently, maybe (aka the Lite Language Chooser Downloader Thingy app)?
Thus, making a single language "module" for all Linux Lite Apps.
+ You could also mention the general translation completion in percentages.

Biggest issue still remains the Help Manual though, theres a gazillion helpful procedures in there and a lot that need a pro/technical person to translate, not to mention some commands could be language related.
A language "pack" for that could be quite difficult to implement.

And thats it for my Friday's broken brain idea... ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I would like a lot to help with this, so, if anybody can send me some kind of instructions I would like a lot to invest some time to native translating LL to spanish.
I'd like starting with little things like 'Lite Welcome' (guess this is the LL tutorial @Nanayaw is talking about: Welcome to Linux Lite),  LL software (Lite Upgrade, Lite Info, Lite Sources, etc.), and then with forums navigation (I'd like to know if it's possible, I'm not a coder but I can make the entire translation of forums navigation with help of someone to code a native translation button); maybe @Jerry or @Moltke can say something at this respect.

@zaov some time ago I started translating the help manual into Spanish https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/suggestions-and-feedback/languages-allowed-for-use-in-the-forum/msg35988/#msg35988 but I soon realized it wasn't only translating words but images as well; perform every action as explained in the help manual in the target language, Spanish in our case, take screenshots and insert them in the translation too. This is a lot of work and I just didn't have the time nor the experience to do so at the moment, since you're now offering yourself maybe we could join forces, we could set up a github repo to keep track of our work. :)

By the way, I also posted a tutorial in the Spanish section on how to browse/read the help manual and/or the forum in Spanish but it can be done for any other language as well here https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/spanish/navegar-el-foro-y-el-manual-en-espanol/msg52370/#msg52370
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 12:41:17 PM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 11:13:04 AM »

Nanayaw

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A8-4500M APU 4 cores

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD ARUBA
Hello Zaov

Geat that you also want to help to translate the tutorial.
With Spain language a lot of countries will covered.

If somebody could provide French, Portugies or other languages speaken from a lot of people,
then a wide range of the world could be covered.

;D

Greetings

Nanayaw

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 02:01:05 AM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning
    • View Profile

I've submitted our website to Acceptable Ads. They basically work with Ad Block to create a whitelist of sites that have unobtrusive ads so that they can still get ad revenue from people that ad block. I hope we get accepted.

Also I was wondering if it is possible to create a Brave rewards creators profile, so Brave users (in the case they don't want to disable them Brave ad block) can see it's ads and passive contribute this way.

The only doubt I have is whether when entering Brave Rewards it is necessary to eliminate the regular ads.

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 01:33:24 AM »

zaov

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Learning
    • View Profile

I've submitted our website to Acceptable Ads. They basically work with Ad Block to create a whitelist of sites that have unobtrusive ads so that they can still get ad revenue from people that ad block. I hope we get accepted.

That's some really good news!

I hope it too.

IOne Option if somebody like to make a translation could be to translate the LL tutorial because there the context is mich more clear and it is also very helpfull.

I would like a lot to help with this, so, if anybody can send me some kind of instructions I would like a lot to invest some time to native translating LL to spanish.
I'd like starting with little things like 'Lite Welcome' (guess this is the LL tutorial @Nanayaw is talking about: Welcome to Linux Lite),  LL software (Lite Upgrade, Lite Info, Lite Sources, etc.), and then with forums navigation (I'd like to know if it's possible, I'm not a coder but I can make the entire translation of forums navigation with help of someone to code a native translation button); maybe @Jerry or @Moltke can say something at this respect.

Also, I'm a hispanic philologist and text corrector (in spanish, of course, my english is not so good), so I can try to create a little team to help with translations and dedicate myself to the reviews and corrections. Of course, all of this gratis et amore (free and with love), I'm not trying to get money of this.

So, if anybody would like to join me with spanish translations, I'll be reading PMs.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 01:24:23 PM »

Snubbi

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux for all

Jerry and me tested the translation. In german and we have seen, that it is not only translating at a lot of points the translater have to understand the context and for that some communications  are needed that it works well and if we only translate the main languages then it is a big work as Jerry explained.

I started with the translation of Lite Tweaks to Dansih,
One Option if somebody like to make a translation could be to translate the LL tutorial because there the context is mich more clear and it is also very helpfull.
That's a really good idea

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section