You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Remastering LL for OEM use?

Author (Read 1952 times)

Re: Remastering LL for OEM use?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:37:45 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
No 'guide' as such. Not something I envisioned our target audience would demand to be a part of Linux Lite. You could Google 'remastering ubuntu' and choose your poison from there. Of course you would still need to study parts of our code to get the full end result you're after. It's a complicated, but not impossible task. It's an area best left to those who can look at code and go 'ah, I see how they do it'. It's also another opportunity for some distros to make a little pocket money to pay the bills to build special versions of their distro for those who need it.

Remastering LL for OEM use?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »

MCReaves

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB
I'm not really sure if this post belongs here or under a "support" board.

Let's say I obtained various older computers with the intent of refurbishing them and giving them away and/or selling them to cover time/materials invested. Let's also say for this example that I wanted to use Linux Lite, but wanted to tweak it a bit and maybe include some software of my own.

I'm aware that I could just install as normal, then tweak the installed distro, but that would be a lot of work if I had to do it, say, 100 times. I noticed there is an OEM option. So, I was thinking about a remaster option. I know some other distros have "proper" methods of doing such, but I seem to not be able to really find much information on that for Linux Lite. I figure that in this use case scenario, although it might be a pain in the butt to do a remaster, it would be easier in the long-run to remaster Linux Lite, then use the remaster for OEM installs on various computers.

So my question is, is there a "proper" way to do this? Is there a manual/how-to for this? Any tools made for this?

Just to note, I am not doing the above use case scenario at this time, but, I have been in such a situation and there is a chance I will be again in the future. I do occasionally refurbish old computers and I prefer to put Linux on them. I was using MX Linux, but it seems Linux Lite might be better suited for those situations as it seems a lot easier to use for new users. Hope everyone is doing well.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section