You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Preferred Web Browser - Distrowatch Poll

Author (Read 10063 times)

Re: Preferred Web Browser - Distrowatch Poll
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 10:17:43 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Yeah Firefox is definitely overloaded. The thing is video should be separated out altogether, use VLC directly instead, and that should be a direction for the future. Firefox has porting problems with simple systems too. They could use a little rethinking, and a sensible optional version system. Anybody here old enough to remember the beginning of Mozilla? Syncing accounts and devices was always a bad idea too, and still is, and it should really be an optional glob. Not something you use or don't use with the weight still there. In general web browsers have gotten bloated, mostly because of security, video, and android devices. The little woman has four devices synced to her Windows box, and plays games sequentially on all of them, facebooks, and shops too. I think it's a little crazy, and stupidly insecure, but her credit card is her own not joint, so I just chuckle, and play with bash on her machine in the morning before she gets up. I can float her a loan if I have to. She's worn out two tablets and three android phones in three years. I still use an alcatel flip phone bluetoothed via  wammu to SMS from my laptop. It's worth remembering, when clouds start to gather there's usually a storm on the way.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:13 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

They don't take their time on browsers like Firefox.  You'll more than likely see the update via the Lite Updates utility within 2-3 days from the release.  So I'd say to expect it before week's end.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Yes. Thanks. That is what I figured. Ubuntu takes their sweet old time. Should probably do it manually. Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi tomt,

Your assumption is correct. Firefox and therefore updates to it are served via an Ubuntu repository.

Hope that helps :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 07:59:39 PM by LL-user »

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
Just curious to know when will LL add updated version of Firefox to package manager or is that up to Ubuntu?
Newest version 49. Thanks in advance.

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:52:36 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

You're welcome :) I enjoyed reading your comparisons.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:47:01 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Thanks for posting this -- I would have missed it.

Coincidently during the past week I've been testing a bunch of browsers in search of something decent to put on a couple of ancient (2002-03) machines that I'm going to donate.  Have been getting more and more fed-up with Firefox over the last couple of years.  It kills me to say that because I've been a loyal user since the Netscape days.  Don't care much for many of the recent UI changes, but what bothers me more is that it has turned into a major resource hog.  About 1 - 1 1/2 years ago I switched to Pale Moon as my go-to browser, which is basically Firefox with old UI and slightly tweaked engine.  It's better, but still a pretty heavy browser.  That's not a problem on my newer machines, but older ones still struggle.

I'm no fan of Google, so won't use chrome.

Tested Chromium a couple of years ago and didn't think much of it, so haven't bothered this time.  However, I did test a Chromium-based browser called Slimjet and was very impressed.  Not crazy about it being close-source, but performance was noticeably better on ancient machines.  Youtube videos played pretty well with it (some even in full-screen with minimal choppiness, which was a shock to me), vs. the same videos being almost unplayable with Firefox in standard size.  (If they were open-source, they would have won my vote in the poll.)

Midori is light-weight and fast, but is probably too lacking in features and seems prone to crash a lot.

QupZilla is one that I have used as a backup browser for last couple of years.  Over that time, my impression is that it keeps getting better.  It's a viable go-to browser for under-powered computers and even does a reasonable job with Youtube videos (Slimjet's performance was better though).  It uses less resources than Slimjet, is quick and has a reasonable amount of basic features.  My main complaint with it is font rendering is not as good as others.

Tested a few others, but none of them were newbie friendly -- so no good for the computers I'm donating.

Long story short, those computers will have Firefox and QupZilla (as light-weight alternative) loaded on them.  And I voted for QupZilla in the survey even though I primarily use Pale Moon (and may switch to SlimJet) myself.  Wanted to give them some credit for making a pretty decent light-weight alternative.  (If SlimJet were open-source, they'd have gotten my vote.)
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

Preferred Web Browser - Distrowatch Poll
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 12:55:14 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Good to see these kind of polls that target the wider linux community.

Source - https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?pollnumber=67&myaction=SeeVote&issue=20160912#poll

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section