General > On Topic

Posting in the correct Support section of the Forums

<< < (2/3) > >>

trinidad:
I think we should add a new section to the forum perhaps called "customization" that covers questions about conky, screenfetch, neofetch, figlet, toilet, DE customization, whisker menu usage, plymouth, lughtdm, and grub splash customizarion, wm usge, terminal apps and terminal customizations, system sound customizations, prompt customization, etc. It's boring for old time nixers, but I think new users would be very interested. I've worked with most kinds of these things in Debian, Ubu, and Linux Lite and I would be willing to answer questions and would monitor the section regularly.

https://imgur.com/a/E5pGe

TC

torreydale:
Jerry is correct with his On Topic comment.  It is for general discussions about Linux Lite, but not support.  I knew that.  I just forgot.  My mistake. 

Jerry:
Look on the main Forum page under On Topic. There is an explanation there of exactly what to do. It even states, 'Not a Support Section'. If someone would like to revise what each Forum heading should say, I'm open to look at it. Cheers.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

Vera:
I think it's an entirely reasonable decision to moderate things in that way, so that mods do not have to spend extra time on stuff like moving topics to the correct section.

I'm in a similar situation to @pingball57 , who said:

--- Quote from: pingball57 on October 03, 2017, 10:40:33 AM ---Hi. I'm new to LinuxLite & not that familiar with a forum like this one. You're asking that folk post things in the correct section. My problem is in not knowing what is considered a Support question or not. Can you give me some sort of definition and/or examples of how to tell the dif? For instance I'm here now trying to find out how to rip a CD, because the terms here are so short using the search is proving useless, so I want post it as a question, but I don't know if it is considered a Support relate issue or not. Some clarification on this might help others hit the right section too?

--- End quote ---

I also tend to struggle with how to know what's on-topic vs a support request. I have every wish to be a responsible user and to fit in with what the moderators want us to do; it's just that it's not always clear to me how to classify a question as on-topic or as support.

@gold_finger was helpful with this piece of guidance:

--- Quote from: gold_finger on October 03, 2017, 09:35:36 PM ---As a general rule, if you have a question about anything place it under either Software or Hardware support headings.  If not sure if one of the specific sub-headings there applies to your question, just place it under the appropriate Other sub-heading in either one.

--- End quote ---

I'm still a little confused for how to know what On Topic would be for though. I (think!) I now 'get' what Support is for, but I'm not certain if I understand what On Topic is for.  Again, am 100% on-board with doing what moderators want users to do; as a newbie it would help to get clarification and input here on what On Topic is meant for (vs Support). Thanks.

gold_finger:

--- Quote from: torreydale ---Don't overthink it.  Make your best effort.  I would say your question should go in the On Topic or Software Support sections."
--- End quote ---

Ooops!   :o

--- Quote from: Jerry ---From now on Support requests that are not posted in the correct Support section in the Forums will be locked, eg. if you post a Support request in On Topic or Introductions, the thread will be locked.
--- End quote ---

@ Pingball57,
Correct section to post in for CD ripping question would be in Software - Support section under either Installing Software or Other sub-heading.  As a general rule, if you have a question about anything place it under either Software or Hardware support headings.  If not sure if one of the specific sub-headings there applies to your question, just place it under the appropriate Other sub-heading in either one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version