You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Running 'LIVE"

Author (Read 3627 times)

Re: Linux Lite Running 'LIVE"
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:05:13 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x

Hi,
[/size]
[/size]If you are on USB1 only. It will be awful. [/size]USB2 is the minimum, USB3 is quite better.
[/size]Most "affordable" USB keys have slow read speeds and atrocious write speeds.
[/size]If you have to use a USB key and have USB2 or USB3, I strongly suggest getting an Extreme [/size]Sandisk USB key like this :
[/size]https://www.sandisk.com/home/usb-flash/extreme-go-usb
[/size]...or, any key with at least 100MB read and around 100MB write.
[/size]
[/size]Also, it's possible to boot Windows10 from a USB key (using a sheep and special incantations)... if you don't have a key like mentionned above though, you WILL wait... a lot! It's will be like watching grass grow.

[/size]Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

Re: Linux Lite Running 'LIVE"
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:36:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
What if we were one of the slowest 'live' distros, but one of the fastest 'installed' fully featured distros, you would never know unless you installed to HDD/SSD right?
Judging an OS by how it runs live is not an accurate comparison to an installed experience, you must be aware of this?

Consider the read/write speeds of the pen drive vs an HDD or SSD. Let's say the average USB 2.0 pen drive speed is 25/15 (generous) and the average read/write of a 7200rpm HDD is 150/150 and SSD average read/write 300/300. At HDD, you're already 7-9x faster than USB 2.0, and with SSD, up to 20x faster.
Consider 3.8 was released in February, there are going to be a large number of updates to download and install, including a new kernel.
These are just some considerations, there's also condition of hardware, bus speed etc etc.

I'm not here to convince you to run LL, we target ex. Windows users primarily and that's our focus. Can you run Windows 10 live and assess it? The information above is for educational purposes.

Food for thought.

Linux Lite Running 'LIVE"
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 06:55:49 PM »

Rixter69

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 4Gb
I tried to run Linux Lite "live" and was plagued with constant lagging and extremely slow "bootup" and D/l-install speeds. For example, it took just over 3 mins. from initial start to 'operarting" screen. Made a mistake and 'updated" from pkg. mgr.; after 40 mins I quit. Even moving files from LL to another pendrive was excruciatingly slow. I used to have LM 17.3 on the same pendrive and never experienced these types of  maladies. So, I'm inviting discussion about running it 'live" as well as any 'fixes" I may be able to apply. I'm running LL on a Lexar 8 Gb 2.0 drive. (Please don't start in about the drive...it is working well and did so when 17.3 was installed). I think I'd like to run LL, but I don't know...maybe it's just not cut out for "live".
TNX:
 :-\Rick

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section