You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

MS Edge browser on LL 5

Author (Read 16172 times)

Re: MS Edge browser on LL 5
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Lite Software and Lite Tweaks now fully supporting MS Edge Final.

Dev, unstable versions no longer supported, you'll need to do Install Updates to be on the final channel (remove old Edge first!).

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Stable - https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge/pool/main/m/microsoft-edge-stable/

Going to run as my Default for a while and see how it goes.

Will update Lite Tweaks soon and replace the microsoft-edge-dev code with microsoft-edge (stable default).
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 08:53:49 AM by Jerry »

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2021, 10:49:18 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

It's hard to predict the Linux version as more effort is directed toward the MS Enterprise version. The DEV channel runs weeks ahead of BETA of course and I've had no problems with it, and they have committed to scheduled weekly updates. It has been very stable on Linux Lite for me thus far but there are a few shortcomings with video and such, mostly having to do with Google and media applications. Google and MS are in a telemetry war. I'll get a list together of known issues. Generally it is ready, but I expect hiccups with Google over security.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2021, 09:15:15 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Should we include the Beta in Lite Software? (It will be clearly labeled that it is Beta).

Is it ready?

(for my future reference - https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge/pool/main/m/microsoft-edge-beta/ )
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 09:22:42 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2021, 12:18:02 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

https://github.com/microsoft/CBL-Mariner

https://blog.jreypo.io/2021/07/09/a-look-into-cbl-mariner-microsoft-internal-linux-distribution/

https://www.redhat.com/en/partners/microsoft

And off we go! The little Linux thingy they did it all to get. Sure didn't take long this time.

MS product naming is brutal at reminding people of the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariner_(browser_engine)

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2021, 10:45:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Cheers @trinidad

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:31 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Yesterdays update to MS Edge is not reporting a release file as yet. News has it that the update was very minor and perhaps the MS devs didn't realize that update protocols for Linux won't allow for just not packaging a release when the server expects a certain schedule, or it just slipped their minds. In any case they seemed to have not prepared a new update release. This is inconvenient for LL updates because you will have to uncheck the MS repo to complete your normal updates. I have sent feedback to the devs.
TC 

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2021, 05:49:19 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

If you want to do things quickly and cleanly from your Linux system Firefox is still substantially superior in flexibility and personal security.

I'm using both; FF 86.0.1 and Chromium 89.  FF has improved since last version I used it which was 70 something, however, they still haven't got rid of the "some script is slowing down firefox" or some similar wording message, which is not only annoying but FF comes unresponsive and freezes. Often times I've had to jump to a tty and kill FF from there, I've never had this problem with chromium, ever! It doesn't happen too often, fortunately, but when it does it's very annoying. Some sites I visit don't work as good as they do in chromium. MS Edge is very bloated IMO. Maybe it is just my setup and low specs pc, who knows ... fact is, chromium works like a charm for me. I also use links2 occasionally when need/want to just find text very quickly without annoying distractions, now that's a great browser; simple, very, very fast and it just works. The downside is some sites might be a challenge to navigate given it doesn't support "modern technologies"  http://links.twibright.com/
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I haven't posted for while about MS Edge on Linux Lite 5.x but all has been well so far up to version 91.xx. Integration and updating has continued to be smooth certainly a bit to do with Jerry's work ethic. I have never been a fan of Chrome or Chromium and I still remain disenchanted with browsers that don't easily run Desktop BASH scripts and posix function scripts from a link. Another issue I have always had with Chromium is the use of flags which are just messy code to handle messy code. If you want to do things quickly and cleanly from your Linux system Firefox is still substantially superior in flexibility and personal security. If MS is truly interested in developing a good browser for Linux desktop systems they need some Linux people who understand the superior security features of a Linux desktop and who don't think like Windows developers.

Currently MS seems clearly at war with google refusing to implement browser logins from google accounts on Chromium based Edge, and they seem to now be, or hope to become the primary developers of the Chromium code base. At the same time Mozilla Firefox is said to be struggling for funding for development, and that does not bode well for future browser implementations in Linux. Gnome's Epiphany browser which could become a good alternative is stalled again, mainly over a lack of developer time/assets.

As we go about our computing days, whether at home or at work, as Linux Lite users we should really consider what a team of developers of Jerry's qualities could do for the future Linux world. In the computing world #1 is certainly not the best, and hasn't been for a long long time... A hard lesson for the future that most people still haven't learned.

TC       

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 12:34:56 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

It may be just the ads on the LL forum that threw me. Both browsers are about the same with ads enabled. The sublocade ad with the running scroll seems the heaviest so far.

TC
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 12:38:29 PM by trinidad »

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 12:10:16 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Nice!
You can check your browser's HTML5 support here :https://html5test.com/
Got 500 on Windows Firefox... weird!427 on Windows Palemoon. :-S
Gonna test my Linux build this week end.Wonder how phone browsers fair at this. *Dramatic music*

I got 526 on Chromium :P

« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Nice!
You can check your browser's HTML5 support here :https://html5test.com/
Got 500 on Windows Firefox... weird!427 on Windows Palemoon. :-S
Gonna test my Linux build this week end.Wonder how phone browsers fair at this. *Dramatic music*
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 07:44:19 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

..."HTML 5 WEB STANDARD

You'd think by 2020, every browser would comply with the HTML 5 web standard, which became a standard in 2014. Nope. You'd be wrong. This "test" isn't a benchmark. It just shows how close each browser comes to being in sync with the HTML 5 standard. A perfect score, which none got, would have been 550.

Here, Chrome and Edge tied for first with 528. Firefox scored 511."

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-edge-browser-on-linux-surprisingly-good/

Keep up with changes here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/microsoft-edge-relnote-beta-channel
TC
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:50:15 AM by trinidad »

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2020, 03:35:48 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Well something worth noting: I'm getting generally lower memory usage numbers with Edge compared to firefox. Around 100MiB less, and that's using Edge's cluttery MS homepage. Kind of interesting. May have to do with html5 which Edge handles better.
It doesnt have HTML5, but Netscape 4.76 used around 40 MB total memory. And it's just a few decades old. ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 02:45:48 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Well something worth noting: I'm getting generally lower memory usage numbers with Edge compared to firefox. Around 100MiB less, and that's using Edge's cluttery MS homepage. Kind of interesting. May have to do with html5 which Edge handles better.

TC

Hmmm... Now I feel tempted to try  8)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section