You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

MS Edge browser on LL 5

Author (Read 16167 times)

Re: MS Edge browser on LL 5
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 12:50:54 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Well something worth noting: I'm getting generally lower memory usage numbers with Edge compared to firefox. Around 100MiB less, and that's using Edge's cluttery MS homepage. Kind of interesting. May have to do with html5 which Edge handles better.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Yeah... I just meant that with all the COVID thingy, schools and other places use Skype/Teams for reunions, etc.
I didn't say I liked it, I have better things to do though than arguing with the MS drones so I just bend and move on. ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2020, 07:03:17 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

@TheDead  "I understand Teams/Skype could be needed" There is a lot of misinformation concerning these products, and a lot of spin doctoring by MS concerning Teams. In fact corporate business in general is very dissatisfied with Teams and its host of nagging convoluted integration problems with Office 365. At the root of the problem is the topology of modern networks, and the ill advised cost reduction activities that caused business infrastructures to run on virtual server space rather than bare metal, thus removing the option to separately virtualize infrastructure components. Instead of a few lines of NIX, sharing operations are replaced with volumes of JS, horribly convoluted UIs, and a vast sea of user permission problems. The modern corporate workplace is generally backwards now with the workstations on bare metal and the servers on virtual space. Almost makes the mainframe seem sensible again for corporate people.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2020, 06:36:21 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Thanks to Jerry's new code MS Edge is now integrated correctly with thunderbird and opens links from email by default. It has also now gone through its 5th successful update on Linux Lite 5.x with no issues at all.

TC   

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 07:08:50 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

The MS Edge browser has now gone through three successful updates via the LL 5 updater. The repository seems to integrate well and function properly. Works very smoothly on Linux Lite 5.

TC

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 08:21:48 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Well so far so good. The Linux Lite 5 updater updated my MS Edge for Linux today with no issues at all along with many other system updates. Seems well integrated. Smooth fast and flawless as usual for LL.

TC

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 10:38:32 PM »

Sauri Extras

• New to Forums
  • Totally Newbie
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-Q17N ES

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD3000 Graphics

Call it Winux DOS... xD

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 08:41:08 PM »

acrome77

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Wasn't it the reason Linux came into being to get away from Microsoft? MS Edge would have to be the most unreliable and unsafe browser ever, but that's from personnel experience.

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 08:36:41 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Winux?
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 12:28:54 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Windbuntu :)

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Microsoft account login works fine now from Linux Lite and the Edge.

https://www.dbts-analytics.com/harbinger.html

@TheDead  I fear the end is near. Still I keep the faith.

TC

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 08:50:17 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

On a related note :

"Fake news! Those pics are clearly photoshopped, it's part or the corporate conspiracy"... someone with bad hair and bad mouth would say!

People concerned, go and vote! Say no to bad hair! ;)
( Wooo! 808 posts! )
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:03:39 PM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 06:46:40 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

If you would like to see a few preview images of MS Edge running on Linux Lite 5.x click the link below.

https://www.dbts-analytics.com/edgprvll5.html

TC

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

They cannot legally go IBM Unix (older court case) so expect them to go Linux either Redhat or Ubuntu as the anarchists at Debian would all quit.

Yeah I agree. By the way, MS just closed youtube-dl github repository because of a DMCA. https://itsfoss.com/youtube-dl-github-takedown/

Microsoft owned GitHub complied immediately and within 24 hours, the official youtube-dl and its forked repository were disabled as DMCA takedown.

Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 12:10:19 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

The biggest annoyance in any business setting with users on MS products has always been cross platform integration. Any improvement there amounts to a concession by MS. Resolving AD access in a simpler way, and being able to log into an MS account are good improvements for Linux desktop and risky for MS and their domination of the business desktop user market. I honestly expect them to bail on their single PC user desktop within the next ten years. It's dated, generally disastrously archaic, and too convoluted and inflexible to continue to be competitive. They cannot legally go IBM Unix (older court case) so expect them to go Linux either Redhat or Ubuntu as the anarchists at Debian would all quit.

TC
100% agree with all here. Look out for MS Linux in the future. They will buy Redhat or Ubuntu in a massive deal.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section