You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

MS Edge browser on LL 5

Author (Read 16159 times)

Re: MS Edge browser on LL 5
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The biggest annoyance in any business setting with users on MS products has always been cross platform integration. Any improvement there amounts to a concession by MS. Resolving AD access in a simpler way, and being able to log into an MS account are good improvements for Linux desktop and risky for MS and their domination of the business desktop user market. I honestly expect them to bail on their single PC user desktop within the next ten years. It's dated, generally disastrously archaic, and too convoluted and inflexible to continue to be competitive. They cannot legally go IBM Unix (older court case) so expect them to go Linux either Redhat or Ubuntu as the anarchists at Debian would all quit.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 11:33:43 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Yeah...
Read some parts of the agreement... Some products "need" personnal informations to work... or you can choose not to use them.
+ they can "share" informations with affiliates, subsidiaries, security agencies, aliens from the moon and the talking muffins people. All to "protect" their products,  people all of mankind.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:10:36 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Some benchmarks in the link below. The most interesting one is html5 numbers. Also signing into to an MS account when it becomes available could be useful in many ways for business and accounting apps and more of a positive for desktop Linux than a negative. At business seminars I used to describe using MS products as keeping and caring for a pet rattlesnake -- keep the user desktop at a distance when you feed it anything and use a long pole (a Linux server).

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-edge-browser-on-linux-surprisingly-good/

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:46:07 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
I understand Teams/Skype could be needed, but Edge?
Maybe for web developpement purposes, but if for web site testing, they are sites for that.Is it that much faster then Chromium or Google Chrome?
You said you can buy the source (officially released?), but surely it is not Opened sourced. 0.o

Also, do the agreement fine prints mention what "informations" are gathered / can it be verified when looking at the source ?Sometine these mention they share with third parties... hope this is not the case.

With identity theft and your more personnal informations being online now, I try to stay away from "cloud" services / sharing when possible.
I had major issues on this with a Facebook app recently, it using informations it did not asked access to + settings says should not have that access anyways. Gumble grumble!

Extra MS bonus:Just looking at the O&O ShutUp10 app for Win10, it's really scary how many doors are opened by default.*shivers* now I need my soft baby blanket... and my mom. ;)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 09:59:47 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:55 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

@Moltke  Yes binding arbitration disclaimer clauses are common practice in corporate America these days. The way it installs in Linux it is unlikely to damage any Linux system even with updates. The application folder is entirely removable (ala Mozilla on Debian) with no need to run any uninstall code. I would only foresee issues like Chromium has had in the past, like keeping up with Ubuntu updates and releases. As I use it I will track the telemetry and with MS it's hard to say what information will be sent out. So far it has proven to be very fast on Linux Lite 5.0 for me. Not a fan of the application icon with the word DEV typed across it though. Kinda ugly on my pretty LL desktop.

TC

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 10:01:27 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

It does have the nifty family safety feature for tracking your kids web browsing. Give it a star for that one.
Chrome does this too. Did you read this:

2. MICROSOFT EDGE FOR NON-WINDOWS DEVICES
IF YOU LIVE IN (OR, IF YOU ARE A COMPANY WHOSE PRINCIPAL PLACE OF BUSINESS IS IN) THE UNITED STATES, READ THE "BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER" CLAUSE IN SECTION 2.14 BELOW. AFFECTS THE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES.

Has some very "interesting" stuff

2.3. Previews. Microsoft may make available preview, insider, beta or other preview versions of the Software ("Previews"). You may use the Previews only until the expiration date of the Software (if any) and provided that you comply with all applicable license terms. Previews are experimental, which means they may not work properly and may be substantially different from the version released commercially. In some cases, Previews may inadvertently damage your device and render it unusable, or cause occasional crashes, data loss, or cause applications to stop working or be deleted. To recover, you may need to reinstall the applications, the operating system, or you may need to turn your device back on. In some cases, you may not be able to return to the previous version of the Software. Previews may contain more errors or inaccuracies, so you should back up your device before installing any Previews.

2.7. Data collection. The Software may collect information about you and your use of the Software and send such information to Microsoft. By entering into this agreement and using the Software, you agree that Microsoft may collect, use and disclose the information as described in Microsoft's Privacy Statement available at https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=521839, and as may be described in the user interface associated with the features of the Software.

You may say "it's only for the preview" but you know that's not true; they'll keep on doing it! So ... I don't know but I don't feel like trying/using this now or in any forseeable future, I rather use chrome since we're already "googled" anyway and don't see any reason to be "MSed" too. I use chromium and am really used to it; custom search engines, lots of them and as far as I've tried no other browser offers the same, at least not in the same/easy way chromium does.   
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I was going to sneak it into Lite Software with a disclaimer (dev quality) but will wait until there's a version that is fully usable.

MS Edge browser on LL 5
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:04:24 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Amazingly gdebi listed all dependencies as satisfied for the new MS Edge browser for Linux. I've begun testing it now, and so far so good though I've never been a Chromium fan some of the old glitches seem to have been cleaned up other than the annoying keyring stuff. And yipee darn skipee I can purchase the source code for $5 American. It does have the nifty family safety feature for tracking your kids web browsing. Give it a star for that one. Also predictably it has the Chromecast extension available. The settings and tools are adequate and with a big screen the dev tools are okay too. Not too bad for a first round I guess.

TC

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section