You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Minimum recommended partition size for Lite 3.4 64 install?

Author (Read 9896 times)

Re: Minimum recommended partition size for Lite 3.4 64 install?
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 09:13:11 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Glad you got things going and most things working well.  Would recommend you now start new threads for each of the "minor" issues you have (one per issue).  That way it's easier for people who may know solutions to see what your problems are and answer them.  If you try solving them in this thread many people may not even know about them because they haven't read this far along to know they exist.  It also makes it easier for others after you to find solutions when they see thread titles specific to their similar problem.  Title of this thread will give them no clue that possible solutions for VLC, battery, etc. may also be contained here.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »

maciaccio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Turion 64 mobile ML-32 1.8ghz K8

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480 [Mobility Radeon Xpress 200]
Wow, you guys are great!

Sorry for delay...before your last post, I had already decided to wipe drive clean. I had about 20 browser tabs open reading forum posts regarding much of what you last posted. It was a bit overwhelming, so it was really nice to see your post with specific instructions for my situation. Once LL installed on first partition, I spent the rest of the night setting it up..no desire for another distro install right now...gonna keep things simple and get to know LL, I already love it!

So far...

1) I uploaded Hardware config to LL 

2) I went to Synaptic Pkg mgr and found the mythical Broadcom wifi drivers for BCM4318. The hardware switch was turning on/off the usb wifi dongle which was kinda cool...after reboot the on-board WiFi works, switch and all...tho I may replace on-board adapter with a faster one...

3) Installed zRam

4) Fixed key-ring config pop-up when opening Google Chrome - using an LL forum post. (I had forgotten the password I had initially entered.)

5) Bluetooth, WiFi & Sound Indicators went missing this morning..."No Indicators" on taskbar... but followed another LL forum post to reset, and after reboot, they are back to normal.

6) Installed Chrome using Terminal - sudo.

Everything just works! And it is performing well for its hardware specs.

Thanks again for all your help. I hope I haven't gotten off topic too bad, and that this thread is useful to other newbies installing Linux Lite.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:32:16 PM by maciaccio »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 11:35:01 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Quote from: maciaccio
SO I have two options, as I see it.

1) Wipe drive, clean install Lite alongside Mint Mate (supposedly lighter DE than Cinnamon) both in 20 Gb partitions, 4 Gb swap, remaining space for /Home. 

2) Use gparted to delete 44 Gb Win partition, (and prob 10 Gb Zorin Partition), move Lite partition with gparted, resize to 20 Gb? Create Mint partition 20 Gb. Make Swap 4 Gb again. Remaining hd0 space for /Home.  I am expecting this messing around w/ gparted may botch the recently fixed grub ldr?? Then install Mint Mate.. which may fix the GRUB, just like LL install did? This way sounds messy, but could save time on LL reinstall....
Option #1 is definitely the easiest and fastest -- I'd recommend you go with that, but with a slight change.  Instead of making a large /home partition to share between the two (or three) distros, make it just a data storage partition that gets linked back to your /home folders on each distro.

Your /home on each distro contains various configuration files in addition to being the standard location to store data.  If you try to share same partition as /home for all distros there is a good chance that some of the configs specific to one may cause conflicts and/or odd behavior in one of the other distros.  Best thing to do is just let /home reside on each distro's root partition, then have a separate data only partition that gets mounted to and used by each distro as a central location for storing docs, music, videos, etc.

Probably easiest thing to do would be:
  • Boot with live LL or Mint USB, open GParted and delete all partitions.  Hit "Apply" when done.
  • Still in GParted, now create new partitions -- root and data partitions formatted as "Ext4" and swap as "linux-swap".  Hit "Apply" when done.
  • Exit GParted, start installer, use the "Something Else" install option so you can manually direct install to specific root partition you have in mind for each distro.  (I'm guessing you already know how to do this based on things you've described doing already.  If not, ask or see help manual for more guidance.)
  • Don't bother doing anything with the data partition at this point -- don't set mount point, format, or anything.
  • HINT:  Use same exact username when installing each distro.  That will ensure you don't end up with confusing file permissions problems on the shared data partition.
  • Finish your first install and boot into it.
  • Follow directions in this tutorial to setup and use the data partition.
  • Reboot computer into currently installed system and see if data partition is auto-mounted and you can properly access and use it.
  • If all is well, shutdown and boot with next distro's USB/DVD.
  • Install next distro same way, with one exception:  when setting partitions you'll also tell system to use the data partition.  Set mount point for root like you normally do, then set mount point for the data partition by manually typing it in, eg /mnt/DATA, (it won't exist in the drop-down menu).  To avoid confusion, use same mount point as you did on first distro.  IMPORTANT:  do not check the box to format the data partition.
  • If you want the first installed distro to remain in control of booting, tell installer to put grub boot loader on the root partition of this distro (eg. /dev/sda3) instead of the MBR (/dev/sda).  If you do this you won't need to remember which distro last installed grub to MBR.  When you reboot after install, you'll not see an entry for booting the new distro.  You need to boot into first distro and run command to update grub so it can find and add the new distro to the boot choices, (sudo update-grub in a terminal.)
  • Boot into the new distro and setup symlinks to data partition like you did in first distro.  (Since you're using same username, you will not have to also run commands to change ownership again -- it will already be set correctly from what you did in first distro.)
  • Done.
P.s.  If you forget to setup data partition on 2nd or 3rd distros while installing, don't worry about it.  Just follow steps in tutorial to manually add it like you did on first distro.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 08:24:47 AM by gold_finger »

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
Another thing about Puppy Linux - you're root all the time!  In my opinion that's dangerous, especially for a Linux novice.  I have tried (I mean installed and used for at least several days) every distro mentioned except Zorin, plus PCLinuxOS (Xfce version), and even an awesome Slackware derivative called Salix - ultralight, Xfce dektop, and systemd-free if that matters.  Linux Lite is definitely the easiest, simplest, most complete distro of all the ones I've run.  The cool tools and tweaks that come with Linux Lite (plus a couple from Ralphy's PPA) make it trouble-free and fast even on "ancient" hardware like mine.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »

maciaccio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Update>>

Install of Linux Lite on 10 Gb partition was a success!! There were no error msg's  like the previous attempt on 5 Gb partition.

LL install also repaired GRUB btldr, as I had hoped, and I can boot to Win 7, Zorin, or LL now...it's nice when things just work.

torreydale,

Thanks for all that. It is very helpful, since i'm so green and taking shots in the dark, exploring many avenues at once. As you know, it's a big rabbit-hole...

You are correct about Win 7 performance, tho it was running smoother than dated xp install.  Lack of drivers is lame. And I did consider the VM option with the same conclusion, it would run worse than live. That is why I have settled on idea of remoting into main rig. I don't actually have a license for Win 7, so I think the decision has been made - scrap it. I just talked to my Appraisal software vendor - coming soon is web/cloud based version that I can use from any OS.

I'm gonna call it - the initial test phase is over.  Your advice will save me the time of installing & testing distro's with DE's that are too heavy, even though they were high on the list of "lightweight distro's for older hardware" tech articles I read on the net. 

SO I have two options, as I see it.

1) Wipe drive, clean install Lite alongside Mint Mate (supposedly lighter DE than Cinnamon) both in 20 Gb partitions, 4 Gb swap, remaining space for /Home. 

2) Use gparted to delete 44 Gb Win partition, (and prob 10 Gb Zorin Partition), move Lite partition with gparted, resize to 20 Gb? Create Mint partition 20 Gb. Make Swap 4 Gb again. Remaining hd0 space for /Home.  I am expecting this messing around w/ gparted may botch the recently fixed grub ldr?? Then install Mint Mate.. which may fix the GRUB, just like LL install did? This way sounds messy, but could save time on LL reinstall....

Thanks again!

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@maciaccio,

I'm not the prince of dual or multiboot, but I am a proponent of running Windows in a virtual machine (VM).  You currently have 2GB of total memory.  Running Windows on the full 2GB can be a challenge, so running it in a VM on less than 2GB would be even more so. 

If Windows is no longer performing well on your hardware anyway, you may want to save the Windows license for other hardware and practice with these distros one at a time.  I would argue that it gives each distro the most fair chance at your hardware.  The problems you're experiencing could very well be distro related, but they could also be multiboot configuration related.  I would isolate the issue, by isolating the operating system installed on the hardware.  When you're a more seasoned Linux user, you can revisit the multiboot option.

If you were my next door neighbor, that is the least I would do for you.  The most I would do is make the distro selection for you.  I already know from experience what you're going to see with the other distros.  If you're using the new Zorin, your computer isn't going to care much for the Gnome desktop environment.  Elementary OS, same thing, plus as a new person, you'll have to prepare yourself to do a lot of installing of things that you wish were included.  Like a document reader, Flash, an office suite, or an Internet browser you've actually heard about.  The version of Puppy you site was first introduced in 2010, and while Puppy is lightweight, I would not recommend it for a new user.  Damn Small Linux is dormant according to Distrowatch.  Mint will work on your machine, if you avoid the KDE version.  And Linux Lite will work.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »

maciaccio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you Gold_finger, Randomboy, and torreydale.

Yes, I initially had a 4gb swap (at end of physical disk) but the the first distro installed (Zorin 12 64) was not using much, 200mb+/-, while getting a bit bogged down on memory, et al.  I have read about swappiness, and may try to increase it to 80 +/-. But in the meantime, I reduced swap to 2 Gb. I can always increase it later and will leave a little overhead on drive1.

I will try 8-10 Gb for Linux Lite. I did have errors trying to install it though. At beginning of install a msg popped about drivers and contact tech support for a download or something, but it seemed to install, until the very end when it reported an error and gave msg about install fail. I believe a support ticket was created ...but haven't been contacted yet. Maybe install will go thru on larger partition...I only had it at 5Gb on first attempt...

From my research, Mint Mate needs min. of 8.8 Gb per official documentation and Elementary needs 15gb. Wary Puppy is small, so 2gb - 5gb max?

Thanks for heads-up on DSL, I was not aware it was unsupported. Wary & DSL may be a bit more stripped down than I desire, but they were the first two that successfully booted, in a long list of distro's, and are the lightest. I believe DSL crashed twice when trying to switch to Fluxbox DE. Not really worth the time and effort.

TAILS was another that booted and ran okay, but I don't really need to be so anonymous or incognito, would prefer a fuller OS.

Thanks for tip on Grub/MBR  and bootloaders...I was thinking that Zorin btldr would get overwritten at next OS install...

I did try LXLE, torreydale. I had the same issue with it as with Bodhi 64 Standard and app pack versions:

After the selecting them from the SARDU multi-boot dvd Linux Menu, the installers do not load. I get a boot prompt and I am not sure what to do. The same may have happened on main (modern) rig, so the verdict is still out until I discover the fix.

Maybe this is a Grub or Syslinux thing and I need to enter the exact path of vmlinuz file?? Maybe they do not like being on multi-boot media? I have come across some info for specific distro's that don't play well with certain multi-boot apps. Putting those two on back burner for now unless its an easy fix, and plan to proceed with the distro's that are working.

Thanks again for the info, I know this is a Linux Lite forum, so all your non-LL  advice is greatly appreciated.  :)

Arg....Messing with partitions in gparted has system booting to GRUB Rescue prompt, which keeps shutting down, all drives & partitions "unknown file system". About to try Rescatux...doesn't load, just Grub Rescue again...

now trying to install Lite on 10 gb partition, hoping it will fix btldr, at least temporarily...until I can repair it to see Win 7 & Zorin...

Maybe easier to just reformat, wipe Win 7, start over, only installing Linux?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:51:36 PM by maciaccio »

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 12:58:04 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@maciaccio,

I concur with @gold_finger on the 8GB and the grub/MBR tip.  I wanted to note, according to Distrowatch, Damn Small Linux is dormant.  Another distro I would recommend for your dv8000 would be LXLE.  But I like to think Linux Lite, with the Preload and zRAM Lite Tweaks activated, would be all you'd need from a distro perspective, and the Linux Lite Help Manual and forum would be all you'd need from a constant support perspective.  I've tried all of the distros (except DSL) that you've listed.  Perhaps you'll come to the same conclusion I did.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 11:29:30 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I always have a swap partition at twice my RAM, and a / partition 20 GB and the rest is /home on my 80 Gig hard drive, booting only Linux Lite.  Plenty of room and you can use Samba (after updating) to remote into your Windows box.  Plenty of room for everything, I should think.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:46 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Don't know exact answer, but educated guess is that new LL install will probably use approx. 6-6.5GB of space.  (Same approx. number for Mint Xfce or Mate versions.  Don't know about the others you list.)  The installs will need "room to breath", so make their root partitions slightly bigger than min needed.  I'd recommend 8GB min for LL and Mint.

Another very good light weight distro for you to test would be AntiX.  You don't have that listed, but I'm certain it will work well on that machine too.  Believe that will take up approx. 3.5-4GB on install, so make root partition for that around 6GB to be safe.

If you don't already know, you only need one Swap partition (2GB) on the drive.  All distros can use it -- they don't need their own separate Swap partitions.

P.s.
HINT:  Unless you specify otherwise during install, each distro you install will overwrite grub boot loader in MBR and take over boot control.  (Last one installed will be the one now controlling boot process and presenting grub menu.)  If you decide to delete last one installed, boot into one of the others and install grub to MBR first so you don't lose ability to boot computer after the deletion of controlling OS.)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:01:53 AM by gold_finger »

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 04:55:32 AM »

maciaccio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Also..

I would consider dumping Win entirely on the laptop if I can get my work software (Win only) to run thru Wine on Linux. I haven't looked into it yet.

The original plan was to use the laptop to remote into my main Win 7 PC with Chrome Remote Desktop when I am not at my desk. That way I don't have to mess with syncing files thru network or cloud, or transferring data, or working multiple versions of the same file by accident. Tested and working with Zorin 12 after Chrome & RD install.

The only current distros I have found that work so far on dv8000 are: Lite, Zorin, Elementary, Mint, Wary Puppy, and DSL. I think its a pretty good selection, considering new Linux user and old hardware, and it gives an array of full but light ones as well as a few stripped down super-lights.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 05:10:28 AM by maciaccio »

Minimum recommended partition size for Lite 3.4 64 install?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 04:44:06 AM »

maciaccio

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

What is the smallest recommended partition size for a full install of Linux Lite 3.4 64?

This info is not readily available on linuxliteos website or google search, except for an outdated forum post from 2011, relating to older version.

Plan is multi-boot of about six distro's (the only ones I found that boot and run okay from a live session -- I want to try them all out to find a fav that will run well on a 10 year old HP dv8000 xp machine. 1.8 Ghz single core 64 bit amd cpu. Upgraded to 2 Gb RAM, new battery, and new lcd screen, so I want to make this work!) Laptop only boots from optical drive, no option for usb boot in bios. Also IDE drives, slow bus...So, Live sessions are a bit slow for bigger distro's, that's why I want to install to hard drives...Only have two 80 gb drives (2nd is in the mail, off eBay) so space is limited somewhat, mostly by Win 7 on a 44 Gb primary partition (smallest I could make it afterwards using Win DiskMgmt after clean install) - but no sound or card reader drivers exist, and it takes up so much space, so I may scrub Win 7 entirely. The Linux distros only seem to have a problem with wifi card, but I can fix that later or use a usb wifi on hand - tested and works.

I can fit all Linux distros on one drive w/out Win, or keep Win and put two or three of the larger distros on the 2nd drive along with data directories.
Or I could just keep Win and Linux on separate drives, for that matter.

Any suggestions for Linux newbie would be appreciated, I have learned a lot in the past week...

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 04:57:35 AM by maciaccio »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section