You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

File Manager Search Utility

Author (Read 7732 times)

Re: File Manager Search Utility
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »

Steven Tillson

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
You can follow this post (https://geniusgeeks.com/best-file-managers-for-linux/) for more information regarding Linux file managers.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:41:47 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
I have not used a file search before, except maybe 1 odd file if someone had asked me to use it when I'd asked for help on the forum, I don't actually remember using one/by my own intention.

I have been using Fsearch for 9 days now for searching what I need to locate, and also additional searches every day for the sole purpose of trying out Fsearch.

I have not found any issues occur, it has found each thing I have searched for, down arrow from search bar to file and press enter to visit location works each time, and I'm liking that, its super fast, makes me realize how a search tool is an efficient use of time.

It looks very good, nice lines and clean gui layout.
I liked it as it can be used instinctively, straight after install without any previous experience with file search systems.
It is straight forward, fast, and efficient to use.
It is a good match to Linux Lite :)

If it is decided to include it in Linux Lite future versions, I have a suggestion that in Lite Tweaks, there is an option to update the database in Fsearch, or that running Install Updates, updates the database 1time per session/boot, or as part of startup , as it seems to only need to rebuild taking a tiny bit longer after restarts, otherwise it rebuilds the database very fast.

I will be keeping it on the computer  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:08:03 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
So far I've usually swapped catfish for gnome-search-tool, especially on systems I installed for others.
It's a bit more intuitive, still light weight and doesn't need an extra ppa, i.e. is part of the repository.

Just to throw in another alternative :)

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 07:59:50 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

It is installed and prefs set now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:13:39 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
After it's installed, set you prefs as such:

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 07:22:39 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I'll give it a go

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

We'll stick with XFCE based applications where possible, that means keeping Thunar. For file search, I have been using Fsearch for some time myself and find it excellent. There is the potential to switch to this in Series 4.x I'd encourage folks to look at it and give it a go - http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/11/file-search-app-fsearch-now-ppa The best feature is that it searches files as you type.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

I don't make that decision, but my guess is Linux Lite will stick with Thunar.  It is lightweight and very functional.  Dolphin is built for KDE and installing it on our desktop environment would involve introducing some KDE desktop dependencies.  You're welcome to try that.  It's not likely to be supported by the distro, but some forum members would be likely to chime in if you hit a snag.

Remember, Linux Lite is for the new Linux convert, particularly from MS Windows.  The Thunar File Manager is already better than Windows Explorer in some ways.  Thunar doesn't have a preview pane.  I miss that.  But if I want to drag and drop using Windows Explorer, I have to have two Windows Explorer windows open.  I don't miss that.  In Thunar, I can use tabs.  And to me, Thunar is faster.

If you're still on Linux Lite 2.6, I would recommend doing a Lite Upgrade to 2.8 just because.  And while you're on the 2.x series, consider running Recoll (it's in the repository a la Install/Remove Software).  It can index your files, making them searchable by the content of them.

If you're game, try running the Live ISO of the 3.x series.  Catfish, in that series, already has a feature that will allow you to search based on the file contents instead of just the file name.  If things work well in the Live ISO, consider using the 3.x series as your daily driver.

Lastly, there are ways to create custom options in Thunar to do file searches for you.  I believe those ideas are either in the Help Manual or somewhere else in this forum.  Or, you could install a keyboard launcher, like Synapse.  By default, launching Synapse (Ctrl + Spacebar) will search your Applications and files (by name) based on what you type.

Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

File Manager Search Utility
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:41 AM »

seasoned_geek

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: atom

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: n/a
It would be nice if the powers that be would dump whatever the current file manager is and adopt _any_ other file manager. Dolphin would be my preference since it has anything. Catfish seems to have less than a 60% chance of actually finding anything, especially if what you need is on a WD MyCloud or other network storage device. Dolphin seems to always find it. At any rate, having to open a different application just to search for a file is cumbersome.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section