You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Love LL!...will I be happy enough with Ubuntu 18.04 for 2 years on a new laptop?

Author (Read 2724 times)

MarRic

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-8550U 1.80GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 620 Kabylake GT2

• Kernel: 5.x
following up...ended up not getting the developer edition (several reasons) but the Windows 10 version instead. Made a restore image of the new drive for warranty purposes and have successfully installed Linux Lite 4.0 (with Trinidad's help!...and TheDead...who had already told me to check for Legacy boot options and I forgot by the time I waited the 30 day return window).

Also, I said I would post findings from Dell about warranty if installing other OS and was told verbally I could install whatever OS I wanted, but when I asked for written documentation on that, they said "sure" but never sent it. I waited, but gave up and decided to get a refurb Windows version and just install Linux Lite.

Everything working like a dream. Including being able to connect new iPhone 7+ with lightning to usb3 cable and successfully transferring files and photos (which I had read would not be possible going iPhone to Linux). Super happy right now!!
Thanks Linux Lite team!!

MarRic

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

newtusmaximus, good idea, I will check.

trinidad, great options, I feel like this can work out fine.

I will post findings from Dell here. Thank you all!

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

You'll get along with Ubuntu as an OEM just fine once you get used to the GUI. There are some things about it that allow for more options because it's not XFCE. Install Gnome-Boxes for instance and run LL 4.0 as a virtual system on your desktop. Easiest virtualizing software in the world to configure, and transfer files between OSs on.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

Just out of interest, would you be allowed to dual boot LL and still retain warranty?
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

MarRic

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you TheDead, I will do as you suggested.

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

I guess you could always keep an image of the harddrive somewhere (with Clonezilla or other cloning software) and put it back if needed.
Even if it's a Ubuntu OS, I don't think manufavturer has the software installation needed for the warranty to be valid, but just in case maybe check the fine lines ;)
Also, check if the laptop has a Legacy boot option in the BIOS before trying to install LL.

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

MarRic

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Getting ready to order a new laptop  :D , it comes with Ubuntu pre-installed and since i will be purchasing extended warranty and support for 2 years I will need to keep Ubuntu for that time frame until I can install LL. Thus, my query...since I LOVE LL, and it is based on Ubuntu, will I be satisfied with using Ubuntu for that time frame? I know I could NOT have used W10 for 2 years! Am I making a mistake?
Don't know if this is pertinent/needed for a reply...the laptop is a Dell XPS 13 Developer edition that can be ordered with Ubuntu (not a developer, just want the specs). 8th Gen i5, 8GB, 256 SSD, very small and lightweight for travel. Purchased a low priced desktop with good specs previously and immediately installed LL, didn't care about the warranty with a low price, but this will be different...way more $'s.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section