You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Lite Software and Lite Tweaks Updated

Author (Read 5250 times)

Re: Lite Software and Lite Tweaks Updated
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »

thoughtinstinct

• Occasional Poster
  • Love Linux Lite
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 6.x
Than you for the taking the time to write such detailed information. And keep up the amazing work you guys do to make LL even more awesome !

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 10:09:57 AM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
If the screenshot is part of the change i can say i like it very much. Its much clearer than just plain "Ok" which i think was there before.

Different dialogs have been updated. That's just one of the many :) ... and that's actually from Lite Updates which received some fine tuning as well.

Lite Updates

Lite Updates will check for Internet connectivity before attempting to fetch the Updates list and notify the user when/if it can't connect:

If the connection can be established, it proceeds as usual

All above dialogs have been updated. There are others (less usually seen) such as error dialogs that were also polished in the process.

Lite Tweaks

Like Tweaks received many updates with Jerry's help and oversight. At first glance, users shouldn't see much of a difference but there is a lot that took place in the backend. Most noticeable will be the absence of nagging users if they wish to return to Lite Tweaks every time a task is performed. Users are brought back to Lite Tweaks automatically instead.

Users are now made aware that some tweaks requires administrative privileges and allows them to cancel those tasks which requires administrative privileges without cancelling the non admin  ones...

Like Tweaks now provides more granular information about each specific task it is executing.

Lite Tweaks - Clear Memory

Update addresses an issue where clearing memory threw an error in some cases.

Lite Tweaks - Default Web Browser

Vivaldi browser was added to the list of Default browsers (if installed). Lite Tweaks can also clean the cache of the following browsers now: Firefox, Chromium, Google Chrome, Midori and Vivaldi.

The default Web Browser is now saved as a user preference and not as a System preference anymore, so multiple users can define their desired default browser by separate without requiring admin privileges.

Every tweak in Lite Tweaks got an update. Feel free to try them out even when not mentioned in my post.

Lite Tweaks - Hostname

Lite Tweaks - Kernel Removal

Lite Tweaks - Locate Large Files

Lite Tweaks - Numlock

Lite Tweaks - Package System Repair

The Package System Repair was updated to address an issue where not all default sources were properly restored.

Lite Tweaks - Preload Apps

New tweak. Preload is an adaptive readahead daemon (aka a service). It monitors applications that users run, and by analyzing this data, predicts what applications users might run, and fetches those binaries and their dependencies into memory for faster startup times.

Users won't notice an immediate improvement just by installing Preload. This daemon needs to run for a little while to adjust itself to the applications users run to do "its magic". A quick way to bring it sooner into action is to install it via Lite Tweaks, then launch and close a couple times the applications you use the most (Firefox and GIMP could be a great example since they are heavy applications) and then reboot. After rebooting, launch those applications a couple times again... you are likely to notice an improvement on the time it takes for those apps to launch.

Preload shouldn't be used in systems that are memory constrained. For example, a system with almost no free memory after boot up will not benefit from using Preload. Generally speaking, it should have a positive impact in most cases, excluding machines with little or no free memory RAM. At that point, users should consider adding more RAM to the system anyways.

There are many more little improvements that are not being mentioned. Feel free to play with Lite Tweaks to discover them.

Last but not least, I want to take this opportunity to thank Jerry for allowing me to participate and help out. It's been a team work and not a work of my own; he just don't brag about it :)

Cheers!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:13:52 AM by ralphy »
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:31:34 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
New Lite Tweaks available via Install Updates. Ralphy has added a new feature, Preload. This addition compliments our existing tool, Clear Memory in helping to keep low end hardware and older machines running at peak. I'll let Ralphy chime in to explain a little more.

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 07:00:44 AM »

thoughtinstinct

• Occasional Poster
  • Love Linux Lite
    • View Profile

• CPU: 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 6.x

If the screenshot is part of the change i can say i like it very much. Its much clearer than just plain "Ok" which i think was there before.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

ralphy

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Developer
    • View Profile
New updated version for both apps have been released. Wishing to get feedback from users to hear how we can further improve them.

By the way, it was more of a team work. I do not deserve the credits alone but I appreciate it.

Thank You for Linux Lite :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:45:01 PM by ralphy »
https://unlockforus.com

Sorry for seeming stupid and preferring Linux - I just don't know any better.

Lite Software and Lite Tweaks Updated
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
A HUGE thank you to Ralphy for contributing some excellent code recently in both of these applications.

New Features:

Lite Software

- Internet connection check for Lite Software and Install Updates
- Clearer descriptions

Lite Tweaks

- Package System Repair improved
- Check for Administrator for system tasks

For the geeks - https://github.com/linuxlite/litesoftware/commits/master and https://github.com/linuxlite/litetweaks/commits/master

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section