General > On Topic

Upgrade question

(1/2) > >>

Utat:
I am new to LinuxLite and i just downloaded version 5.6 and want to install it, but as version 5.8 is going to be released in the next days, I'd like to know will it get update if i install version  without reinstalling it?

stevef:
Based on previous experience upgrading within a series - e.g. from 5.6 to 5.8 can be expected to be very smooth.

It needs to be initiated, so it won't happen unless you choose to do it.

Upgrading between series - say from version 4.x to 5.x involves a new install so a bit of effort is required to re-install applications and copy personal settings and data across.

Utat:
Thank you for your response. I'd like to know is it something like updating other distributions of Linux from software center or should i do the installation process again?

stevef:
You're welcome.  5.6 to 5.8 is an in series upgrade so doesn't a require a full install from scratch.

When 5.8 Final is released (expected February 2022) first ensure 5.6 is fully updated, then upgrade to 5.8 using

Either
Menu -> Settings -> Lite Upgrade
Or
At the Welcome Screen, click Install Updates then scroll down to find an Upgrade button.

Utat:
Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Would you think that would be the same for next releases too if i upgrade my Linux constantly to the next release without missing one upgrade?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version