You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

LinuxLite 4.8 Nice Clean Install

Author (Read 13425 times)

Re: LinuxLite 4.8 Nice Clean Install
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 02:27:02 AM »

H

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7-2630QM@2GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 540 CUDA * 2GB

• Kernel: 5.x
 ;D @firenice03
I knew that was the problem once I followed that link and then started to wonder what I was wanting a server for lol. Then dawned on me had nothing to do with Open Office  :D
Anyways got it all sorted now, so thanks all the same.
H

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 11:12:54 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

He's referring to the office suite https://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft not the web server.

LOL -- Sorry missed that "open office" piece ..

With a few hours all up, I am no better off, as Apache was not loaded

Got caught up in the wording... thinking both Web and Office -- LOL
But hey now you know how to install apache :)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 08:46:20 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I actually did use that link the other day, I must have done something to upset the process.
Tonight I re tried that link and instruction but to no avail, so not sure what I was missing.

Well, unless you "miswrote" your previous post where you said that
Looked up the Apache open office , downloaded, it was a tar.gz
you didn't download the .deb file, which you can easily install by double-clicking on it, but a tar.gz compressed file which contains the source code and is way more difficult to install. 
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 05:39:56 AM »

H

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@Moltke
Thanks for that will give that a go. Hopefully better success.
Appreciate the guidance.
;)

Edit  @Moltke , I actually did use that link the other day, I must have done something to upset the process.
Tonight I re tried that link and instruction but to no avail, so not sure what I was missing.

Any ways just for reference, I did manage to install via this link and instruction which I found clear and concise, and worked a treat much to my delight.

https://www.liberiangeek.net/2013/08/apache-openoffice-4-0-releasedheres-how-to-install-it-in-ubuntu/

Thanks once again!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:55:13 AM by H »

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 11:27:51 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@H
Apache should be pretty straight foward...
Code: [Select]
sudo apt install apache2
Now you'll to configure the config files and start services...
sudo systemctl start apache2
This should give a good reference
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-and-configure-apache#1-overview

He's referring to the office suite https://www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft not the web server.
Thank you @firenice03 and @Moltke ,
Yes was aware of the tools mentioned there. And of course use them. I was more thinking of stuff that is not there. Example, WPS Office and Apache OpenOffice.
As said Libre office does not handle macros well,  and so wanted to try some other office program.

Looked up the Apache open office , downloaded, it was a tar.gz created a folder to unzip, using the terminal commands (have no real clue there, copy n paste from sites, trying to learn) installed but it would not work.

There's a .deb file for Apache Open Office here https://www.openoffice.org/download/ that should be easier to install. Try and avoid copy/paste commands from the web unless you're entirely sure what they do.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@H
Apache should be pretty straight foward...
sudo apt install apache2
Now you'll to configure the config files and start services...
sudo systemctl start apache2
This should give a good reference
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install-and-configure-apache#1-overview
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »

H

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you @firenice03 and @Moltke ,
Yes was aware of the tools mentioned there. And of course use them. I was more thinking of stuff that is not there. Example, WPS Office and Apache OpenOffice.
As said Libre office does not handle macros well,  and so wanted to try some other office program.

Looked up the Apache open office , downloaded, it was a tar.gz created a folder to unzip, using the terminal commands (have no real clue there, copy n paste from sites, trying to learn) installed but it would not work.

Which is the question I was asking, if you step outside the norm, things can be done, sometimes it worked and others not.

Then because you are not experienced enough, (willing to learn and self teaching is a slow process, ) you muddle your way,  about an hour or more trying to decipher how to undo the mess I made.

I eventually found a couple terminal commands that cleaned things up, or at least I think I did lol.

With a few hours all up, I am no better off, as Apache was not loaded, and I am still left without a program that can truly fullfil what MS OFFICE has.

I will persevere though, as windows was blown away, so I am going to have to get it sorted.

All in all, this install of 4.8 was the easiest and cleanest, am liking it a lot all the same.
Regards
H

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 01:05:36 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you Moltke,
Will have a look at that link, thank you.
H

No problem, glad to help. :) BTW, I didn't mention them before because they're there and I just assume people know about them but @firenice03 is right; those tools he mentioned will do the work just fine too. Also, try not to make an habit downloading soft from the internet, even though that site seems pretty reliable, we never know ... better safe than sorry so stick to the official tools and repos as much as possible. Most of all, Enjoy Linux! :)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 12:03:27 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@H - Just to piggy back @Moltke - If you're looking for software.. Might I suggest looking at Lite Software and Synaptic both are built in and can be accessed from the menu.
Lite Software contains readily available software that folks most often use. Where synaptic has lots more...

As always - should something not be in the repo's that your looking for - make sure you choose the Ubuntu variation when downloading (.deb).

And Welcome!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »

H

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thank you Moltke,
Will have a look at that link, thank you.
H

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:20:41 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi @H and welcome to the forum! :)
Will there ever come a time for Linux Distributions, to just run more or less just like Windows does? I mean like, installing programs that just download and then install
Actually, you can do that already by visiting this site https://pkgs.org/ seach and download packages for your Linux distro, in this case, you'll be searching for Ubuntu ones since LL is based off it, once you've downloaded the desired soft, double-click on it and the install process will begin which is kind of like that of installing an .exe file on Windows.

Just think that if the install process was able to pick up all hardware and settings out of the box, it would be far easier to convince folk to move away from the Windows systems.

This is not Linux to blame but hardware manufacturers who don't support Linux and make it really hard for devs to pick and build the appropiate drivers since they are closed source, propietary, private and yet they manage to make Linux works OOTB most of the times, well it has for me 100% of the times. 

LinuxLite 4.8 Nice Clean Install
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 04:24:56 AM »

H

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hiya Folks,
Just want to say how nice and easy the install was of Lite 4.8. I have tried on and off for several years different Linux distros, some worked and some did not.

I have completely wiped my hard drive and so no longer have Windows 10. This way I am not able to go back when I hit a difficult patch. Which of course I hope I do not.
I would like to ask, though.

Will there ever come a time for Linux Distributions, to just run more or less just like Windows does? I mean like, installing programs that just download and then install. I also have always had problems with printer and scanner setups. Printer set up with this distribution of Linux Lite worked a treat for the first time, without to much interference from me.
Scanner did not and so I had to go to the Brother site and then figure how to get things done.

Or Libreoffice accepting my macros and run as they were designed. Only to find out no matter how many times I record the blinkin thing it just does not do what it should.

Just think that if the install process was able to pick up all hardware and settings out of the box, it would be far easier to convince folk to move away from the Windows systems.

I have noticed that it is possible to get solutions to your problems ( because there are a lot of talented folk here) , but you do have to sift a lot to get to where you need to get.

I appreciate the talent of the creators of Linux and am grateful. I applaud your dedication.
Kindest regards
H

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section