You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite has no UEFI for reasons like this...

Author (Read 4064 times)

Re: Linux Lite has no UEFI for reasons like this...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Not much. Like I said DoS maybe. Linux would EMsg it about like a firmware bug, or run through a series of kernel protocol alternatives and EMsg those as well.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi!

I'm no hardware programmer but I'm guessing this would affect dual-boot machines using UEFI too. (?)
What could a rootkit like this do in Linux once it's installed from the "other" OS, only a DoS?

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 01:30:17 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Actually all this could ever do in a properly installed Linux system is possibly cause a DoS, and the CLI would report the kernel errors. The threat is to MS Windows whereby software could possibly be remotely installed to the system, though even there BIOS/EFI password would simply eliminate the problem in the first place. This is just MS spin doctors at work, patting themselves on the back to build public confidence. Spectre-Meltdown, news of which has quietly dissipated, still remains the most serious threat to modern computers/servers because it deals with RAM access, and will not be alleviated until new CPUs and secure RAM appear no matter what you read, and its only real limitation as an exploit is technical creativity, which is itself only about $$. It is a far better candidate for nation to nation cyber-espionage than anything else out there.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »

elelme

• Forum Regular
  • Deleted
    • View Profile

Thank you so much for sharing this!

Linux Lite has no UEFI for reasons like this...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 10:13:38 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Good day people of the intertubes,
One of my co-worker sent me this article last week.There has been UEFI problems in the past and Jerry and the Linux Team wisely chose to keep using BIOS "Legacy" mode for their main distribution.It was just a question of time but, seems UEFI could be in real hot water in the next few months.The article mentions that hackers successfully installed rootkits in the "secure" UEFI partition.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/09/28/uefi_rootkit_apt28/

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section