You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Achieves Its Goal

Author (Read 6995 times)

Re: Linux Lite Achieves Its Goal
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 03:04:58 PM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 11:54:58 AM by The Repairman »

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 02:45:09 PM »

Jesse R Bassett

• Linux Lover Since 2001
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lover Since 2001
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core Duo Processor

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Apple Video Card

I too am more impressed with LL 5.4 than Linux Mint 20.10 ! I used to use 20.10 but could not stand the CPU usage! LL 5.4 is perfect for my early 2006 iMac. Thanks to @Jerry for the hard work and dedication!  :045:
Imac 2006 l 2gb DDR3 Ram l Linux Lite OS 5.4 l 160gb HDD l

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 10:32:28 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I'll toss a plug...

Setting up my Full Circle system that had LL2.8 still on it when I pulled it off the shelf, will now be a print server (LOL what I'm calling it)...
Code: [Select]
LL5.4 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA

LL5.4 is running GREAT just a good as 2.8 if not better. GREAT OS..

And sometime old dogs need to be taught new tricks - I pooched it setting up VNC (to many fat fingers in the way)...
But 2nd time around - yup reloaded the OS - only takes minutes and I took my advice - make a backup  :55:

Then I followed, ok I copy and pasted from the Help Manual for setting up VNC (I used vi vs. mousepad)  AND in minutes BINGO..  :58:

:57: GREAT OS - GREAT DOCUMENTATION!!! GREAT FOLKS on the forums :54: :54: :54:
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 09:04:27 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
The Welcome Screen, which offers step-by-step, point-and-click simplicity for maintaining the OS (along with tweaks and all the cool tools) is a huge advantage for newbies.
Coincidently, I helped someone this weekend on an MS machine with a profile from scratch.
Most of the information given was how to NOT activate a bunch useless apps and "call-home", erm, "features".
When more than half the training time goes to bypass the "defaults"... That not right! ;)

(thats from the movie Galaxy Quest, a must for any StarTrek fans)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 03:49:41 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

That new Lite Tweak that purges systemd logs is a very big deal! Perhaps inspired by a thread here on the Forums about it, it's really great to see attention paid to the "little things" that can cause problems down the road. It's yet another example of the creativity and imagination that goes into constantly improving this magnificent little distro. Linux Lite absolutely sings on my modest little Dell Latitude.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 07:59:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 06:50:33 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

One of my favorite things about Linux Lite is the naming of applications after their function. A newbie wouldn't know, for example, that Thunar is a file manager, nor would they think of "Places" as an application for managing files. So Linux Lite calls it "File Manager."

During COVID I was able to help many families that were forced to home school and who could not afford to buy a computer for the on-line schooling, by putting Linux Lite on their older existing Windows® machines and taking them one single time through starting, updating, adding drivers, and customizing their desktop to suit their own preferences. The Welcome Screen, which offers step-by-step, point-and-click simplicity for maintaining the OS (along with tweaks and all the cool tools) is a huge advantage for newbies.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:08:27 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Humbled. Might have to include this on our Feedback page.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Linux Lite Achieves Its Goal
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:29 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I cannot say enough about how impressed I am with this system. I have used every version of LL since 2.6 and watched as LL progressed toward its goals. No Linux distribution achieves keeping a new user out of the CLI more successfully than Linux Lite 5. As far as I am concerned this in itself makes it by far the most new user friendly Linux system available today for new users coming from Windows. In the office, MS has had a stranglehold for years. Newly hired workers spent hours in classes learning how to use MS software but never received any real instruction on how to administer an MS system. Most new users coming from Windows are of that ilk, and Linux Lite provides them with the easiest potential transition from Windows to a superior Linux product. Simple touches matter to Windows refugees, and thoughtfully selected desktop software like Lite Tweaks and Lite Updates are of inestimable value to them. I am a long time Debian user and probably always will be as long as development continues, but I always recommend and install Linux Lite for Linux beginners. It truly is a beautifully simple and functional system that they always seem to intuitively find their way in.

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section