You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Screenshooter

Author (Read 2949 times)

Re: Screenshooter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 03:42:05 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Separately, a nice addon to the utopic utopian screenshot utility, would be the sequencer, allowing to program an automatic making of certain amount of screenshots, throughout certain length of time. Say, the fastest pace of making the screenshots, could be one picture per second, detaching the sequencer function from the screencast utilities. Certain maximums ought to also be established, such as one picture per every 999 seconds. I think this could be useful to gamers. Not everyone has the hardware allowing to run a big game in some acceptable quality, while recording with the use of an utility such as Kazam simultaneously. Perhaps writing screenshots in the background, at moderate pace - assuming having a fast drive - could grant some souvenirs, without overburdening the system or personal patience. Sure the utility could be a game engine built-in, even though thusfar, have never seen anything particularly such.

I can understand though how some of you could raise the question of privacy and security, if the system was too eager making perfect stealth screenshots, in rapid succession, omitting the clipboard ballast.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:52:04 AM by MS »

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2019, 05:08:42 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

• Kernel: 5.x
@MS  The beauty of linux is, with a little light reading one can make linux do whatever you wish, below are 2 links. The first explains how to change the default action of the keyboard print screen button.

The second, if you scroll down gives cli commands to operate xfce4-screenshooter. Combine them both and you can make xfce4-screenshooter do what you want with a single key press. :)

Code: [Select]
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2018/08/printscreen-launch-shutter-area-selection-ubuntu-18-04/
https://docs.xfce.org/apps/screenshooter/usage
Hope this helps :)
Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 07:33:23 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Above is to do it in the terminal, you can save and recall the command by number in history.
Or
You can go to Menu>Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts 

Click Add at the bottom and copy in the entire command for
--fullscreen
and choose your shortcut key/s for running it from the keyboard, example Alt +1.

Repeat the process entirely 2 more times, example choosing Alt + 2 for entire command for
--window
and the final new keyboard shortcut as Alt + 3 for entire command for
--region

Afterwards to do a screenshot you only need to press Alt and 1 number key, then enter x1 time, so 3 keystrokes, compared to typing the command each time, unless you are preferring terminal.

I prefer to use screenshot exactly how it is in LL currently, but it's good there are more than one option.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:41:55 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

xfce4-screenshooter --fullscreen -s ~/Pictures

2. Press Enter in terminal.
3. When GUI appears press Enter again. Done.

You may change your command in terminal by removing -

--fullscreen
and replacing with

--window
or
--region
this last option will produce a crosshairs that you must drag to select your chosen region.
For all three options the process of pressing -
Enter in terminal to run the command, and Enter to run the saving of file is exactly the same.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:05:43 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

@trinidad, I believe there is either a misunderstanding going on or have you not tried the solution yourself.

Typing in the xfce4-screenshoter in the Terminal, opens up the GUI menu of the program.

I am tired with this. Will look for another utility.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Usually in screenshoter this is how I save a screenshot, by not typing a file name but pressing enter.

If that works you should be able to just adjust the command so it auto presses the enter key then it would save it without you having to type a file name by using the default name as @trinidad explains.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 06:31:39 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

The default folder is ~/Pictures. The default file name is screenshot/date/time.png. Seems pretty simple.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 05:03:15 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Thank you @bitsnpcs, your solution comes close and perhaps as far as it gets, but the program still asks for a filename, therefore is not entirely automatic, as it ideally should be.

Besides, this 'do it yourself in the Terminal' thing, is very Linux-y of nowadays.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello MS,

this link explains how to configure XFCE screenshooter in the way you are asking.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/252738/configure-xfce4-screenshooter-settings/477125

You go to Menu>Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts 

Click Add at the bottom and copy in the command and your shortcut key/s (not one already used in the list) , editing to how you wish, which directory name to save the files to and if you want to convert them, save and also email them, or save and also store them at a remote photo host.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 04:30:56 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 03:42:27 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Thank you for your clearly structured answer, but I do not know if I could have been any more explicit about a crucial demand, which is, for the function to work in a way as where pressing the "printscreen", would automatically save the display image as a file, within specified folder. The program should best be configurable, even through the Terminal, for such qualities as the image type, folder type, what displays to include. But the configuration and application ought to come as two separate pieces, unlike with the mentioned XFCE4-screenshoter.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Can anyone recommend me a replacement for the XFCE4-screenshoter? I need an utility, which automatically makes a screenshot of the entire display and saves it without further ado in the Pictures directory or some other indicated location. Otherwise, please give me pointers on how to configure the XFCE4-screenshoter to work in this manner. Also, where do I set the 'printscreen' button as default for the new function, in case the new function does not default itself unto?

I don't understand exactly what you want but the xfce-screenshooter is a fine app and works just great. Hit "prt sc" on your keyboard and a window will pop up, here you decide what you want to do; including what you ask: take a screenshot of the entire display, then you hit ok and wait for the new window to select what to do with the screenshot, like saving it to your pictures directory. I don't think it can get any easier than that, however, you could also open a terminal and type
scrot then hit enter, the program will also take a screenshot of the desktop, including every open window and will save it in your home directory. and then you can move it to the pictures directory. Also, If you want it to take a screenshot only of the desktop, like you need to minimize any windows you have open and additionally put it directly  into the pictures directory then you have to tell scrot to do so, and use the "sleep" command, just type
sleep 5 && scrot -e 'mv $f Pictures' then hit enter, now you'll have 5 seconds to minimize any windows you don't want to be in the new screenshot and it will be saved in the desired directory, change the time as per your needs. If you need more info on the program, in your terminal type
man scrot is just a few lines long and easy to read.

Hope this helps! :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 01:28:25 PM by Moltke »
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Screenshooter
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 04:33:44 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Can anyone recommend me a replacement for the XFCE4-screenshooter? I need an utility, which automatically makes a screenshot of the entire display and saves it without further ado in the Pictures directory or some other indicated location. Otherwise, please give me pointers on how to configure the XFCE4-screenshooter to work in this manner. Also, where do I set the 'printscreen' button as default for the new function, in case the new function does not default itself unto?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:45:56 AM by Jerry »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section