You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 3.2 Final and Dirty COW fix - is it included?

Author (Read 4637 times)

Re: Linux Lite 3.2 Final and Dirty COW fix - is it included?
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 12:43:22 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
You're welcome. Enjoy Linux Lite :)

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks Alan.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 12:35:14 PM »

Alan_Wilts

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1 VM under AMD Ryzen 7 3800X /2 Native AMD Ryzen 5 /3 Native A4 5300

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: LLVMPIPE

• Kernel: 6.x
First, thanks to Jerry Bezencon for confirming that 3.2 Final includes the fix for Dirty COW - that's great. Thanks for the command line as well.

Second, thanks to torreydale and LL-user for pointing out that I have muddled my terminology. Thanks for the useful hints as well.

I did install LinuxLite a few years ago on a new PC but found problems converting all my data (especially loads of Windows short cuts); getting network sharing working; and running some critical software under Wine, so gave up. I thought I might try the latest 3.2 and then maybe move on to a USB install which will save me having to install another hard disk and allow customisation.

As Jerry has now confirmed 3.2 Final includes the Firty COW fix I think we can now close this thread.

Many thanks guys :)

Alan in the UK
1: Using LL in VBox on a Win 10 Pro Ryzen 7 3800X  8GB ram and SSD PC to test code for implementing on various Rasp Pi from Zero to 4
2: LL 6.6 on an old AMD A88MX m/b with A4 5300 processor & 4GB ram and SSD/PCMIe adapter with Clover.
3: LL 6.6 on a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 processor and 8 GB of ram and SSD. Dual boot with Win11 Home.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
> which installation method you are talking about (full installation or Live USB installation)?
                       I'm now looking at Live USB installation so I can apply and retain updates (fixes)

> what you would like to do with this USB installed system (just work with it or use it as installation medium)?
                       just work with it for now.

I think I can see what you are getting at. If I spend time customising the Live USB installation (as well as applying fixes) then to avoid redoing the whole customisation then it would be nice to install to a hard disk from the Live USB installation. But I must admit to not thinking (and speculating) that far ahead.

Ah, I think here lies the confusion: the difference between a Live System (aka LiveCD or LiveUSB) and an installed system. You seem to use these terms based on other criteria than I do :)

Performing a normal/regular/full installation to an USB device won't make it a LiveUSB. The "live" refers to having a bootable system image usually used as installation medium and also for testing the system live. In the old days these images used to be burned to a CD - therefore LiveCD. Then some smart people figured out to use an USB stick instead of a CD. The concept behind however stayed the same. Nothing you change while running this system would usually be saved, every time you boot it up you'll get the same virgin system (LiveUSB).Till persistent storage in combination with the USB device got introduced that allows you to just safe these changes (LiveUSB with persistent storage).

To use your installed and tweaked system - no matter medium you installed it to - as a base for another installation you actually don't have to think that far. Just use Systemback, a very handy tool to backup your system and also to create a LiveCD from it. It's available in Linux Lite! Also have a look for the posts here on the forum.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:37:20 PM by LL-user »

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@Alan_Wilts,

Here it sounds like you want to do a persistent install to your USB flash drive.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like 3.2 Final live ISO has not got the fix for Dirty Cow. However, I've just seen how to install the ISO onto a USB memory stick and can then apply any updates and save back to the memory stick. Seems the way to go.

But here it sounds like you want to update your Live USB to install Linux Lite to your hard drive.
I think I can see what you are getting at. If I spend time customising the Live USB installation (as well as applying fixes) then to avoid redoing the whole customisation then it would be nice to install to a hard disk from the Live USB installation. But I must admit to not thinking (and speculating) that far ahead.

==================

Thanks Jocklad for the link. I did in fact see and read that link before my original posting. I could not see an easy way to confirm whether or not the Live ISO included the Dirty COW fix. I was thinking maybe the release notes would list the kernel modules and their versions but I could find such information.

If you want to do a persistent install and only run Linux Lite from a flash drive, you need to search into that or start a new forum thread.  If you want to install Linux Lite to a computer's hard drive, you DO NOT need to update your installation media (ie. the Live CD/Media).  When you run Install Updates, and Lite Upgrade (after installing Linux Lite to your hard drive), you will get the necessary kernel updates which cover the Dirty COW issue.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 09:47:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

3.2 includes Dirty Cow patched kernel.

Code: [Select]
jerry@hostname:~$ uname -a
Linux hostname 4.4.0-45-generic #66-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 19 14:12:37 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
jerry@hostname:~$

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »

Alan_Wilts

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks LL_user

> which installation method you are talking about (full installation or Live USB installation)?
                       I'm now looking at Live USB installation so I can apply and retain updates (fixes)

> what you would like to do with this USB installed system (just work with it or use it as installation medium)?
                       just work with it for now.

==================

Thanks Jocklad for the link. I did in fact see and read that link before my original posting. I could not see an easy way to confirm whether or not the Live ISO included the Dirty COW fix. I was thinking maybe the release notes would list the kernel modules and their versions but I could find such information.

Alan in the UK
1: Using LL in VBox on a Win 10 Pro Ryzen 7 3800X  8GB ram and SSD PC to test code for implementing on various Rasp Pi from Zero to 4
2: LL 6.6 on an old AMD A88MX m/b with A4 5300 processor & 4GB ram and SSD/PCMIe adapter with Clover.
3: LL 6.6 on a Lenovo laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 processor and 8 GB of ram and SSD. Dual boot with Win11 Home.

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 08:35:59 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Alan_Wilts,

May I ask
- which installation method you are talking about (full installation or Live USB installation)?
- what you would like to do with this USB installed system (just work with it or use it as installation medium)?

Would like to avoid you going down the wrong path depending on your intention.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »

Alan_Wilts

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like 3.2 Final live ISO has not got the fix for Dirty Cow. However, I've just seen how to install the ISO onto a USB memory stick and can then apply any updates and save back to the memory stick. Seems the way to go.
Alan in the UK

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

As the release announcement stated, just running the Install Updates utility will keep your kernel up to date, and that does include a fix for Dirty COW.

A Live system can be updated depending on how much memory you have, but as soon as you reboot, all updates are gone.  What I refer to in my first paragraph is for Linux Lite being fully installed to ones storage, not Live Media.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Linux Lite 3.2 Final and Dirty COW fix - is it included?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

Alan_Wilts

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi

I use Linux Lite Live from time to time to see how it's developing and whether to make the plunge permanent should get round to I simplifying my existing system ;)

Does the Linux Lite 3.2 Final include the fix for Dirty COW?

I did a search and saw https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/security-bug-fixes/linux-kernel-cve-2016-5195-'dirty-cow'-bug-patched/msg26825/#msg26825 saying LL kernel had been patched but can't see anything whether the Live ISO has been updated. I'm not even sure a Live system can be updated but even so, it's something to remember the long command line to do the update each time.

Many thanks
Alan
Alan in the UK

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section