You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Distro Articles Ignoring Linux Lite

Author (Read 8111 times)

Re: Linux Distro Articles Ignoring Linux Lite
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2022, 11:28:17 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you all for your support :)

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Since I installed Linux Lite 5.4 beside W7 in February 2022, I've seen very few mentions of Linux Lite anywhere on the web.  Foss pushes Linux Mint continuously along with the usual suspects but they did mention 6.0 when it was released as did Ribalinux and Switched to Linux on their channels.  I don't understand how Linux Lite can be ignored as it is so easy to install and use and is a God send to those of us who have older laptops we are hanging onto. 

Thanks 
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2022, 06:10:11 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

And even after they go away to explore other options in the vast, wonderful world of Linux, many may find their way right back here where they started.

There are some great "niche" distros out there in Linuxland to be experienced and enjoyed. I have enjoyed dozens of them, just learning a little along the way. I keep an awesome little 32-bit ultralight Slackware-based OS on an ancient Dell Dimension with 512 megs of RAM, just because I refuse to throw away my very first computer. Even though it's one step up from a friggin' abacus for cry'n out loud. SalixOS keeps that old bugger humming better than new! It's a "niche" distro for old hardware and for Slack fans who prefer a standard GUI. They call it "Linux for Lazy Slackers."

It's been fun! But after exploring and playing and trial and error, pain and pleasure, I keep coming back to nearly where I started for my daily driver. Always reliable, stable, and best of all simple.

Long live Linux Lite!

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2022, 12:57:47 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

My whole approach here, is to get as many people into Linux as possible. Once they are here, they are free to go their own way :)

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2022, 11:24:02 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Internet privacy is just a narrative in the sense that any computer connection leaves a data trail of some sort, and the Web is a business. It's not an issue that concerns me at all given that it's a problem that can't be entirely corrected from only one end. What I don't like about Chrome/Chromium/Edge is though they are decent softwares for the task they are designed to do, they are simply not as Linux/Unix friendly as Firefox. The crosh terminal and the flag system are annoying and unreliable to work with, as far as assigning browser tasks and code editing outside anything other than web browsing, so much so, that they simply often don't suit my purposes and simple methods at all. The Web is becoming entirely based on enterprise solutions, solutions that make end user actual input less and less important, solutions mainly interested in involuntary user data collection for enterprise targeting, solutons that invent new code just to thwart user participation. Google is too big for its britches and should be broken up into several different companies, and data collection for user targeting should be done by an entirely separate company regulated in a far different way, and there should be an unaffiliated independent FOSS Web development control group. The way it is now Google literally builds the Web to suit its business model. If you don't think these things are true; consider that MS/Intel faced with the Web power of Google opted to build the new Edge on the Chromuim code base. It is amazing the amount of uninvited useless crap people will endure looking through just to get to look at some chosen pictures of useless crap.

https://www.online-literature.com/twain/mysterious-stranger/11/

TC             
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2022, 10:01:39 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

What Jerry says is true but being careful and prudent while on the internet and doing all one can to keep the phishers away is a good thing.  My problem with Chrome isn't the spying for God's sake because Google tells you it is selling your info to everyone and anyone who pays!  I don't know how Chrome runs on Linux Lite but on Windows it is slow,  it slows down my computer and makes everything take forever to accomplish and that is why I ditched it for good a few years ago.  I would like to see how it runs on Linux Lite, is it just as fast as FireFox?  Linux Lite runs fast on my old laptop and I mean the difference is night and day to Windows 7, I dual boot but I rarely use W7 for much anymore with the exception of printing out forms and such.  I'm not scared of Google as I know what they are doing.  Great talk guys and keep up the good work Jerry.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2022, 08:05:52 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Indeed! The only way to ensure privacy is to unplug!

But you know me, a true technophobe, scared of everything and anything involving tech. I have read and been spooked by so many articles and blog posts about the scary,malicious, and downright evil dangers of:

• Systemd
  • Pulseaudio
  • Elogind (in systemd-free distros)
  • Google (and Chrome)
  • snaps
  • anything somebody thinks might be spyware/malware
It has sent me off to other distros and software that aren't nearly as simple, easy, functional, and just plain enjoyable as Linux Lite. The defaults are easy enough to change. Seamonkey in place of Google Chrome and Thunderbird, for example, using a PPA.

In the end, usability, reliability, and simplicity are much more valuable to me than "purity." A true purist would have to build his or her own computer from scratch using free/open-source HARDWARE as well as a "pure" OS and software that still probably wouldn't run with the point-and-click ease and convenience offered in Linux Lite.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2022, 09:12:11 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

... (not Chrome!) but free of the tracking and spying and stuff.

I see this a lot on the internet. People stating privacy concerns over software. The thing that makes me chuckle, is that as soon as you connect to the internet, your privacy is being exploited and you are being spied on with every packet you send. You can be Tor'd and VPN'd up the yazoo and assume you're covered, and you're not. You simply cannot mitigate privacy and tracking with software. Security is an illusion.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 09:24:23 PM by Jerry »

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 09:06:53 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I'm finding Brave to be an excellent alternative browser as well. Based on Chromium (not Chrome!) but free of the tracking and spying and stuff. I turn off all the Brave "rewards" and brave search and use Startpage as my search engine. Very fast, very reliable so far.

How to install Brave on Linux Lite

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 08:58:48 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Oh there is a whole world of alternative browsers available, some found in Lite Software. When Mozilla "got political" I switched to Seamonkey - based on Mozilla code but no longer a Mozilla product, it does what both Firefox and Thunderbird do, yet with thousands fewer lines of code than Firefox by itself! Very lightweight compared with the others. I used a PPA to install it though, as it doesn't appear in Lite Software's list.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 02:51:29 AM »

Mountain Giant

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Reasons for switch are in release notes.

Now that Firefox comes as a Snap package from Ubuntu, and Windows users need to be able to deal with as few package managers as possible, Chrome was the obvious replacement choice. Huge market share, Windows familiarity, just about everything you throw at it just works, all with the backing of a little known company called Google.

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 12:38:08 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

So,
What is the reasoning behind removing Firefox as the default browser in the new 6.0 series of Linux Lite OS?  The Chrome browser slows everything down on any computer, Google tracks everything we do and though sometimes it is a necessary evil as in using an Android phone most of the time there are other alternatives to having information taken.  I'm new to Linux Lite and Linux but I do like the way LL works on my old laptop, I like how it is so customizable.  I have a lot to learn, and unlearn and it is going to take some time to get used to Linux but I will not use Chrome browser at all, I use Duck Duck Go as my search and for now Mozilla until I find something better and lighter weight. 
Is it because Chrome is the most used and downloaded browser or is it because of $$$$$?

Vint, God Bless Texas
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 10:16:46 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

The topic of 'Google' anything will always be a polarizing topic, more so with the linux community because we have a greater awareness than Granny Beatrice from down the road. All we have to do is what we've always done, encourage people to switch to Linux by way of familiarity. Once they get here, let them make their own decisions on how they proceed. Getting them here is everything.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 07:55:07 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Whether substantiated or not, most people just do not trust Google like we all once did. It may be off-putting for them to find Google's own browser as the default.

For that matter, Mozilla's Firefox has even become a little suspect in recent times. A lot of browsers that aim for the "lightweight" label are choosing browsers and other software by default that is not only of good reputation but much lighter on CPU and RAM than either Chrome or Firefox.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 01:40:59 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

They ignore Linux Lite, because admins do strange decisions. Like putting Google Chrome as default browser, that negate all advantages of using Linux.

Why? You don't need to log in to your Google account to use Chrome. You can use DuckDuckGo as your default search engine instead of Google's. So, why?
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section