You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux 2023 Articles

Author (Read 4907 times)

Re: Linux 2023 Articles
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 02:43:02 AM »

hamka

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I doubt any of these reviewers ran Linux Lite for any length of time under any daily load. 

I write internet articles/blogs for a living (not on Linux, but other tech-related topics), and you are correct. Trust me when I say that most of the articles you see on the internet today are simply rehashed and 99% based on other, similar articles.

I am not a competent Linux user, but I am a competent PC user. I live in a country where perhaps 80% of the home/personal PC/laptops are far, far below the international par, and I often find myself doing first-line support because in the land of the blind the one-eyed is king.

If you have a device that can cope with it, Windows 10 is a great, if malware-prone solution for the average pc user/home or office worker. However, a genuine Windows OS is quite simply unaffordable in large parts of the world. People resort to "cracked copies" - and I don't think anyone need to explain the sheer scale of the malware problem for those users. Of the 80% below-par devices, around 60% are so bad that they actually run Windows 7. The rest are in imminent danger of losing their ability to cope with Windows 10's hardware demands.

To add insult to injury, Microsoft's increasingly "F*ck the Poor" hardware requirements are starting to take a toll on both legal and illegal Windows users. I see, on a weekly basis:

1. Users whose devices previously had no hope of coping with Windows 10 and who stuck to their Windows 7 (both legal and not), or even Windows XP.  In some cases, we're talking 32bit!
2. Users whose devices are starting to battle with Windows 10 (both legal and not) and who can't afford better hardware. In my experience, talking comparatively here from a land of not-plenty, and ignoring the intricacies of CPU's, the minimum requirements to run Windows 10 are: 4G RAM, 1Ghz processor, and preferably, an SSD. Anything less means utter frustration for the average user.
3. It is gradually becoming utterly nonviable to run W7 even on devices that are not connected to the internet.

Conclusion: Users with old devices who are unwilling to switch to Linux will, within the next two years or sooner, literally, have no device. Therefore, I advocate switching to Linux and I advocate finding the smallest, most lightweight distro possible (because of the generally hopeless hardware specs).

Over the past 4 years I have personally installed and extensively tested (not in any particular order):
1. Linux Mint (excellent but, by now, it needs a relatively high end device i.e. a device that is marginally able to cope with Windows 10)
2. Linux Peppermint (similar to Mint but with much more modest hardware requirements)
3. Linux Lite (hated it at first and avoided it for the next 2 years)
4. Q4OS (Tiny! If you use the Windows theme it's fantastic for "old people" who just cannot learn Linux - as long as you keep an eye on them in the long term)
5. Antix (Tiny and love the philosophy behind it, but not good for first-time users)
6. Bodhi (First-time users found it hard to customise)
7. Lubuntu (Clunky user experience 2.5 years ago - it's probably much better by now)

Based on my experience in environments that are severely challenged on the hardware, technically skills, and economical fronts:

If your hardware is marginally Windows-capable and you cba to do any customisation of any kind, Mint is excellent for first-time users.  In almost all other circumstances, Linux Lite is the best long-term solution for non-techie computer users.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 03:09:29 AM by hamka »

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 07:27:28 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

I do get the warm and fuzzy when I see LL in a top X list... LOL

I do to, in a way, it's validation that we are providing something useful for a wide variety of people.

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 07:26:28 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Since 3.8 I have installed Linux Lite on at least a hundred diferent boxes all with different hardware old and new.

Nice!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 01:16:49 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I do get the warm and fuzzy when I see LL in a top X list... LOL
Though some of the comparisons aren't a like for like..
Typically when LITE is the factor..  Tiny and LL may have small hardware requirements but not the same boat.

Check the boxes...
Runs well on any hardware
Ease of install/updates
Ease of use - novice or 1st timer
Everything or majority of everything at install
Stability
Support

I could go on... but Happy New Year!!
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 12:05:17 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I doubt any of these reviewers ran Linux Lite for any length of time under any daily load. I don't care what they think because it's highly doubtful their opinion is valid. Since 3.8 I have installed Linux Lite on at least a hundred diferent boxes all with different hardware old and new. Other than my own three, two of which have gone from 4.x to 6.x, I don't remember any of them having the same hardware. I should be paying for this system but I give everything away these days so I'm glad you let me use Linux Lite for free.

Happy New Year
The Penguin is coming to file explorer.TC

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 12:17:37 PM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 11:54:17 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Happy New Year Jerry and thanks for the articles,

From my perspective Linux Lite is the only distro to use if one has older hardware, when I get a newer machine PC or laptop I will still run Lite OS on it because it is so easy to use.

Best regards,
Vint,
God Bless Texas

Linux 2023 Articles
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 08:50:43 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section