You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Lightweight Linux distros

Author (Read 18583 times)

Re: Lightweight Linux distros
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 09:20:58 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
...  Outdated??  It's rolling-release, and my copy has quite up-to-date software.

I know. It is just something about it. I could not think of a better word than "outdated." :-\   Maybe it is because I am use to Ubuntu and Debian based distros.

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 08:26:44 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x

PCLinuxOS: Semi-Rolling is why I tried it. XFCE is only a community release not official. Not based on Ubuntu or Debian so not for me.  Also seems "out dated."

The community editions of PCLinuxOS are official, just developed for each DE (now including Lumina and Trinity) by members of the community and approved for the PCLinuxOS name and repositories.  Outdated??  It's rolling-release, and my copy has quite up-to-date software.

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:21:25 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
I flirted with SalixOS for a long while.  Xfce desktop, ultralight, rock-stable (it has Slackware's legendary stability - like Debian "Old Stable" but with up-to-date applications), Slackware "for Lazy Slackers."  User friendly (but not for Linux novices) and systemd-free.

Another great lightweight is LXLE.  It's built from Lubuntu but with lots of extras that don't add much weight, but make it spectacularly gorgeous and intuitive.  Using the LXDE desktop environment, LXLE is a bit less resource-hungry than most of it's Xfce counterparts and comes with a good selection of lightweight applications (like Seamonkey instead of the bloated Firefox / Thunderbird combination of most distros.  But LibreOffice instead of the ultralight alternatives like Abiword and Gnumeric.  The big issue with LXLE is all those extra PPAs added.  It exponentially multiplies the risk of the "broken after update" scenarios common to Ubuntu-based distros.  By default includes some cool tools, though, like some of stuff Ralphy offers in his repo for Linux Lite.

I'm glad Linux Lite made the list!  I was surprised to see PCLinuxOS there, because the standard KDE edition can't really be called "lite."  But the mini-Xfce version of PCLinuxOS rivals Linux Lite and it comes with only enough to make it run, then you choose your own applications to make it your own custom mixture.  It also comes in an ultra-light Enlightenment flavor with is fast enough to break the warp barrier. 

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
I have tried each of the following at least on live DVD or for a few weeks.

Lubuntu: boring DE
LXLE Based on Lubuntu: see above
 Peppermint based on Lubuntu: see above

PCLinuxOS: Semi-Rolling is why I tried it. XFCE is only a community release not official. Not based on Ubuntu or Debian so not for me.  Also seems "out dated."

Manjaro Linux Xfce Edition: Tried several times because it is rolling. Always had updating problems requiring use of terminal to fix each time so not beginner friendly. Not worth the hassle. If I wanted to use the terminal that much I would have stayed with DOS.

Linux Mint: XFCE is official version but kinda the "step-child." Forum too big and not as friendly as Linux Lite's

Zorin OS Lite:  Custom DE is biggest complaint. I want to learn a DE which is in common use. Preferably XFCE
 Bodhi Linux: See above

Ubuntu Mate: Best official version of Ubuntu but prefer XFCE
Xubuntu: no forum of its own - just lost in Ubuntu forum

MX Linux: best Debian based distro for new users and those who want Debian that is easy to use

SolydX is a nice distro but still no automatic partitioning to install so not very beginner friendly. Small community and has had to cut back on versions so not sure how long it will be around.

Solus interesting Independent distro but uses its own repos and does not offer or plan to offer XFCE DE.

I have test driven other distros with KDE, Gnome, Budge, Unity, etc. DEs, but much prefer XFCE with Mate as a distance second.

Linux Lite: Agree it is great for Windows users and aims for them. Also great for any Linux user who want "Simple, Fast, Free" and a great friendly forum.  :)

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Lightweight Linux distros
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 04:39:15 PM »

thra

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Just finished writing a list of the best lightweight Linux distros and we included Linux Lite in the list (of course)

Any feedback? Other recommendations? Please let us know if there's anything we need to update.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section