General > On Topic

i3 tiling window manager

(1/1)

Rosika:
Hi trinidad,  :)

thanks a lot for your suggestions.

I might consider Devuan or Bunsen in the future.
Right now I´d like to stay on my fresh install of LL.

Still I might give i3wm or openbox a try here.

Thanks a lot for your help and many greetings
Rosika  :wave

trinidad:
BunsenLabs will give you the most pre-configured options, while both Devuan and Bunsen will give you the smallest disk footprint and the most efficient RAM usage.

TC

Rosika:
Hi trinidad and thanks a lot for your reply,  :)

--- Quote ---I definitely prefer openbox to i3wm
--- End quote ---

O.K., does that mean openbox can be used - like i3wm - instead of a fully-fledged desktop environment?
I was of the opinion that openbox was part of a DE, like in Lubuntu...

Well, I´ll definitively look into it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Many greetings

trinidad:
You will probably have trouble with some notification windows and some Lite specific application windows. I definitely prefer openbox to i3wm but if you really want that i3wm desktop run Debian, Devuan, BunsenLabs, or Arch, Bunsen being the easiest.

TC

Rosika:
Hi all,  :)

I´d very much like to know your opinion about i3 tiling window manager.

What I want to do is install it on Linux Lite 6.2 as it may provide certain benefits (amongst others lower RAM usage, I guess).
At least from time to time starting the system with i3 tiling WM might be a good idea for me.  ;)

I´m not looking for installation help. There´s a very good article by Dave McKay on
https://www.howtogeek.com/769284/what-is-the-i3-tiling-window-manager-and-how-do-you-use-it-on-linux/ .

My question is more of a general kind:

On https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#deskenv it says:

--- Quote ---If you desire to install another desktop environment, we cannot provide specific instructions on how to do this. There are far too many variables involved and much can go wrong.
--- End quote ---

Well, I know installing another DE on a system which already makes use of its own DE may be risky at times.

But what about i3 tiling WM?
I mean: is it to be seen as a "desktop environment"? My understanding is: it´s a window manager (not a DE per se).

So what it boils down to is: Is it safe to install i3 tiling WM alongside the already installed "heavily modified version of the XFCE desktop environment"?

Many thanks in advance and many greetings

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version