You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Firefox not fast enough for video

Author (Read 4563 times)

Re: Firefox not fast enough for video
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:27:07 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
Firefox though is a bit too slow, at least with video playback; the audio is fine but there's a lag with video, even with 360p. (I don't need high-res videos; I just want them to be watchable.) I'm not sure whether this is the browser, the way LL is running (on USB, which would be 2.0 on this machine), or the WIFI connection (a Verizon Jetpack, which is a cellular device). I've never seen a lag like this before. If anyone has any ideas about what's going on here and what I can try to speed things up I would love to hear them.

I've seen this before when running distros from USB in live mode. Browsers are a resource hog and need to save plenty of data on disk, since a USB stick doesn't provide nor the space neither the write/read speed they need, it's completely normal they lag a bit. If you install it on the HDD you'll see there's a lot of difference and it'll run just fine.

Hope this helps! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

Re: Firefox not fast enough for video
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:36:34 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
"the way LL is running (on USB, which would be 2.0"  Probably this.

Also, I believe the 4.x series should run on your machine just fine. 4G is plenty of RAM for most of the things you want.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Firefox not fast enough for video
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 01:15:23 AM »

mc_L20

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Based on suggestions in another thread I downloaded and am currently testing LL3.8 64 bit on a USB stick. Amazingly, LL was able to find my WIFI device and connect right away. This was the first major hurdle I expected because most of the other distros I tried couldn't connect; I am really pleased, and am actually posting this from the old machine. :)

Firefox though is a bit too slow, at least with video playback; the audio is fine but there's a lag with video, even with 360p. (I don't need high-res videos; I just want them to be watchable.) I'm not sure whether this is the browser, the way LL is running (on USB, which would be 2.0 on this machine), or the WIFI connection (a Verizon Jetpack, which is a cellular device). I've never seen a lag like this before. If anyone has any ideas about what's going on here and what I can try to speed things up I would love to hear them.

Thank you everyone.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section