You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Working - Kodi in Linux Lite with remote control

Author (Read 7489 times)

Re: Working - Kodi in Linux Lite with remote control
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 09:18:22 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
The contest closing date/time has arrived.
There were no entrants, so a draw was not made.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 10:27:19 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I enjoyed doing the testing it was a lot of fun  :)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:17:22 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 03:41:00 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thank you for doing this bitsnpcs :)

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 01:14:27 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

results of testing for the remote control #3 are a success, I can confirm Kodi with remote control on Linux Lite 3.2 works perfectly. On the older computer and also the i7 computer.

Test Results

It can do every numbered item (1 thru 9) that remote control #1 above can do.

Additionally it can do every numbered item (10 thru 14) that remote 2 can do.

Overall test results are the same as Remote #2

Other tests -

All extra test results are the same as Remote #2.

Design -

Remote #3 does not have any assistive technology.

In this respect is the same as Remote #1.

Batteries -

Remote #3 uses x2 of AAA batteries the same as Remote #2

Additionally Remote #3 has an on/off slider switch in the forward facing edge, this hints that may be a battery chewer.

Additionally it has a storage slot for the wireless dongle inside the battery box, this is can be used whilst the batteries are installed.

Additionally it has a full qwerty keyboard, gesture track pad, working with single finger tap = left click, 2 finger drag up/down, 3 finger tap or drag for right click menu.
Mouse button is used to active mouse capture/use is the same as in Remote #2

It also has a left click mouse button and right click mouse button these are located on the left hand side one above the other.

What remote did I use -

It is based on (copy of) a Rii Android box control pad.

The remote is sold on ebay. (I will be adding a photo of all the remotes later today when I get back, and also a side by side photo)

This remote is sold with receiver and is Logo Free for £6.26 GBP.

I hope it helps some members around their homes with an additional way of enjoying their Linux Lite computers.

Physical size comparison of all 3 remotes

Voting and Forum Members Competition -

Reply with your vote by typing which number (example #1, or #2, or #3) remote you like the most based on the features in the test results.
I will assign a number beginning at 1 to each reply based on the order they appear below this post.
By voting you enter a competition to win a remote.
Entry closes 31st March 2017 at 12:00 hours GMT, I will place the number range into Google random number generator to select a winner, who I will send a remote to free of charge.
No batteries will be sent.
I will add the nickname and number list before the generating, and a screenshot of the result. Plus type the result.

The winner will need to PM me an address by no later than 7th April 2017 12:00 hours GMT
It does not need to be your home address it can be a friend or workplace, a signature will be required on delivery.

If the winner does not claim by the date I will state no claim in a post and a new number will be generated from the remaining replies.

If only 1 person replies by the closing date there will be no number generating of course, as the remote will go to them.

Side Note -
It's the first time I've connect this camera to LL.
I can confirm Panasonic Full Frame HD video camera is plug and play on Linux Lite 3.2
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:12:14 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

results of testing for the remote control #2 are a success, I can confirm Kodi with remote control on Linux Lite 3.2 works perfectly. On the older computer and also the i7 computer.

Test Results

It can do every numbered item (1 thru 9) that remote control #1 above can do.

Additionally it can do -

10/ open Kodi by navigating the Linux Lite desktop menu .

11/ close Kodi using Kodi buttons

12/ control the volume using the remotes volume controls

13/ open home screen of Kodi whilst a video or music is being playing

14/ navigate the mini player gui on home screen for audio and video

..........and more see below  :)

Buttons used
-

Every button on the remote #2 works except 1, the red shutdown button.

As you click the buttons you know where you are in Kodi as the buttons in Kodi that are selected highlight as usual.

Ideal remote for Linux Lite and Kodi.

Buttons unused

There are 1 extra buttons that are not needed on the remote.
The unused button is the red shutdown button.

Other tests -

1/checked if with Kodi closed it moved the mouse, or if any remote buttons caused any action on the desktop -
Full and total control of the entire desktop, including 2 ways to produce context menus on the desktop for creating new folders or files.

2/ opened vlc, youtube to MP3, and firefox, tested to see if could be controlled using remote, this works  , it can control volume in vlc using the volume buttons, although it adjusts system volume, not vlc volume. VLC volume can be controlled using the cursor from the remote.
It can use menus, adjust screen size to full or smaller, seek in music, seek in video in vlc. Stop a track skip track in both directions.

3/ it can navigate this Linux Lite Forum - it'd be super  8) if the home button of remote was hacked/mapped, so pressing it opens the browser and loads the Linux Lite Forum  :)

4/ in install/remove programs, you can install programs

5/ install updates, it can install updates, you will need to type your password.

6/ it can open and navigate Thunderbird

7/ it can empty the recycle bin, and guys I know taking out the bin is important for you  :P

It can do all this because in addition to being a very similar sized and shaped remote to #1, it has a button to convert it on the fly into an air mouse  ;)

8/ I have tried this remote with the mouse plugged in, and without any mouse plugged in, and it works exactly the same both ways, in addition to controlling Kodi, and other areas, it could be used temporarily if your mouse broke until a replacement can be obtained. It only moves in lines vertically and horizontally, no diagonal movement. It can move by press , press press , each press moving it a short distance, or you can hold the button down if you like your cursor action fast.

Supreme Design -

Above the red home button it has an inward pip, this is an assistive technology, it allows positive identification of the orientation of the remote, and thus enables the user to know where each button is in relation to that.

Remote #1 does not have any assistive technology in its design.

Batteries -

Remote #1 uses a coin cell (like watch batteries, but it would be some big watch). The battery comes supplied with the remote.

Remote #2 uses x2 of AAA batteries which are found at most stores, the remote does not come supplied with batteries, I used Duracell Industrial, although you could hijack them from the tv remote once the home has become Kodified :P

What remote did I use -

The remote is sold on ebay. (I will be adding a photo of the remote soon)

This remote is sold with receiver and is Logo Free for £3.13 GBP !  a saving of £13.86 over remote #1
It has a nice space that would have looked better if it had arrived with a feather and Linux Lite Logo on it.

I hope it helps some members around their homes with an additional way of enjoying their Linux Lite computers.

Reasons for Test #3 -

Kodi remote test #3 is coming soon, (remote on its way) remote #3 will be my final Kodi remote test.

1/ cheaper price than #1 remote, double the price of #2 remote, the middle range remote price wise.
2/ claimed additional functionality, gestures pad, and has a keyboard.

After which there will be a poll for community members to vote on their favorite remote, functionality wise.
Then there will be a competition for voters.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:48:00 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

:) you're welcome bayoubooger

I noticed that in the bottom right of Kodi it will appear a box, "updating ...", then go through any of the addons one at a time that have updates, displaying the name and logo of each addon as each is done.
I waited for these to complete and the box to close before continuing.

I am unsure how they are updated manually yet.

Are the DIY, FYI, HGTV dependent upon F4M by Shani, and if so is it installed ?

Does this update them to new episodes ?
From Kodi main screen menu -
System>Settings>Video>Library
Click radio button "update library on startup"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:48:55 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:44:23 PM »

bayoubooger

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: ASUS X541SA

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 405
Thanks bitsnpcs,

I have been fooling with kodi for couple months and like it, the bells and whistles are hidden and confusing. I need your help and others. Still trying to figure out how to update the Tv videos I watch from DIY, FYI, HGTV, on and on. It marks them as watched, but updating the old to new is a mystery? Thank you for starting this, though...
changed from Windows 10 to a REAL OS

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Update

New Kodi in Linux Lite remote control test coming soon. (approx. 1 month)

Reasons for next test -
1/ 75% cheaper price for the alternative remote
2/ claimed additional functionality (to be tested)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 08:52:22 PM by bitsnpcs »

Working - Kodi in Linux Lite with remote control
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

results of testing for the remote control are a success, I can confirm Kodi with remote control on Linux Lite 3.2 works perfectly.

Test Results

1/ it is plug and play in Linux Lite, no additional installs/drivers needed.
2/ I tested, a-e as below with no problems, works perfectly, tested during video playback to -
    a/ show file info
    b/ pause and play the video
    c/ seek on the video stream (move forward and backwards in video using remote)
    d/ stop and play the video
    e/ slow motion forwarding of the stream

3/ Using Fusion Addons (links to tutorials for Fusion set up in Kodi Sound thread on this forum) I installed a radio addon (Buddha Radio) using the remote control only, then played the radio station, no problems.

4/ Using addons I installed a repo, no problems.

5/ Using install from zip, I navigated from main screen and typed using the on screen keyboard using the remote only to navigate the on screen keyboard and done, okay and cancel settings, no problems.

6/ Using the remote I accessed all of the main screen sections, System, Programs, Music, Video, Pictures, and all of their sub menus, no problems, it adds a gentle swiping sound when navigating the screens in gui.

7/ accessing the video menu, I browsed to, located and played a 1080p movie stream for a few seconds (testing purposes, "Avatar"), skipped in video, forward, back, used all player functions and additional functions such as volume control and audio settings work correctly. Similar to #2 but followed on this time with #8.

8/ I turned off the video, skipped back screens to the home screen, and shutdown Kodi, all using the remote.

9/ the remote usb receiver was located approximately 2metres/6 feet behind me in the front of the Linux Lite computer, I pointed the remote at the screen not the usb receiver, lol, just in case your new Linux Lite media centre is not in line of sight, no problems this worked fine.

Buttons used -

The circular button with "OK" in centre, is used to select something.
Surrounding this button is a ring with arrows for up,down,left right these are used to move around the screen, not movement like a mouse, but fast eg; each click jumps to the next button in Kodi.
At the bottom of the remote are extra arrows for left and right these were used for volume, they can also be used to scroll along the main menus and sub menus slowly (or quickly  ;) )
There is a upside down looking return icon button, this is used to return back through the pages or screens, this can be also be done quickly if you want.

As you click the buttons you know where you are in Kodi as the buttons in Kodi that are selected highlight as usual.

Ideal remote for Linux Lite and Kodi.

Buttons unused
There are 4 extra buttons that are not needed on the remote.
The unused buttons are house icon, i, tiered menu icon, a square icon.

Maybe some experienced users will like to hack these unused buttons, it's got potential with code edits for other software. VLC with remote ?

Other tests -

1/checked if with Kodi closed it moved the mouse, or if any remote buttons caused any action on the desktop, the buttons had no reaction on the desktop.

2/ opened vlc, youtube to MP3, and firefox, tested to see if could be controlled using remote, this did not work, they maybe can be improved to do this.

3/ opened the terminal tried each button on remote, when pressing the OK button, each press moves the prompt down to a new line in the terminal. My guess is someone will get this action used on them as a prank  :o :P
When holding down either the square button, or the triangle button, you can hold the state of the cursor in the terminal, example it flashes, if you press whilst its black, it stays black and will not flash until you let go, if you press whilst it is on the disappeared part of the flash it stays disappeared until you release the button, however it only affects the flashing as text can still be typed into the command line using your keyboard whilst the cursor is not flashing.

4/ in install/remove programs, the up down arrows move the highlighting up and down the left menu, all, installed etc, pressing the house icon takes it to the top of the list.

What remote did I use -

The remote is sold by and "exclusively designed to only work with OSMC" products listed as -
1/ their own branded Kodi box.
2/ a Raspberry Pi running OSMC.
3/ Apple TV box running OSMC".

I have a 2 Raspberry Pi Zero and bought this remote for doing a remote controllable Kodi, I decided to try this on Linux Lite with Kodi instead.
I used it as it arrived out of the box, no modifications.

This remote is sold with receiver and OSMC Logo for £16.99 GBP !
I notice it is made in China, the inside battery cover states "AN1617B", please update everyone of your search results in a reply.

I would like to suggest a remote considered for the Linux Lite product Shop.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:10:51 AM by bitsnpcs »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section