You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Donations: Core or the Infrastructure?

Author (Read 1890 times)

Re: Donations: Core or the Infrastructure?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 4.x
Just found there is an option to donate to the desktop environment provider, which in our case, is the XFCE.

Speaking of particular examples, which programs you could imagine donating to, if you wanted to choose?

That is for the 'Infrastructure'.

For the 'Core', apart from Linux Lite, any other favourites?

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 03:31:57 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Thanks for the explanation, @Artim, these things are indeed convoluted.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 02:33:55 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
Xubuntu is a community-developed distro, and there's no separate (from Canonical) entity like an LLC behind it.  There's a Lead, several Developers, and a recently-placed "Xubuntu Council."  But as an official flavor of Ubuntu. all donations to all the official 'butus (Xubu, Lubu, Kubu, etc) go to Canonical which supports all the "flavors."  As a separate distro, not an "official Ubuntu 'Flavor,'" Linux Lite, Mint, Zorin, and other derivatives that don't receive direct support from Canonical take donations separately that usually support the developers, help pay for hosting, web service, forums, etc.

Here's a good example, for those of you who follow Manjero:

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-is-taking-the-next-step/102105
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:48:40 AM by Artim »

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:30:06 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Besides, what is the deal with donations altogether? Say, you want to donate to LinuxLite. LinuxLite is based on Ubuntu. Without Ubuntu, what kind of LinuxLite would we have? Without solid base, what kind of any subsidiary distro could there be? Is there any formal status telling how much of the donations coming to LinuxLite is being honorably sent on regular schedule to the forerunner institution, the Ubuntu, as royalties of choice? There are a lot of dependency issues going around in the GNU world. It is very organic, therefore, actually, if we wanted to donate with as much honesty involved as reasonable, it should be Debian or the foundational Linux kernel development, because that is the source of everything, the ultimate 'Core'.

Which is why, I find it simpler to research the originality of the software I like - talking about the 'Infrastructure' - and possibly donate appropriately, by the rule of how useful or how essential it has been to me, as well as how often do I use it. Post-pay or delayed-pay kind of method, of the quantity based on personal evaluation, that is. Definitely not a culture to really make money on, rather a minor fairing.

I think that if one wants to make sustainable money through being involved in the GNU world, there is a misunderstanding going on. Sometimes, it could happen, but real success cannot result in coincidence.

EDIT:

On the Xubuntu website, there is a statement:

The Xubuntu project is a team of contributors and not a formal organization. As a result, the project is unable to directly accept monetary donations.

What does it mean?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:59:18 AM by MS »

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:41:10 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

If this were a poll, I'd vote "Core."
Certainly strong base is important, but eventually, look at Windows. They are successful not because their base is very strong, for nowadays at least. They are successful because they have managed to make all the people just go to their place and resultantly, bind themselves with Windows. I speak of developers, people who put contents, build solutions, extensions, workarounds if needed. The strength of Windows is the strength of all those who work in regards to it, unnecessarily as much of those who work in it, not to mean disrespect, as I do not have any experience or competence to tell.

I think a lonely operating system is just sad.

That is why, I would put my money on the 'Infrastructure'.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:45:06 AM by MS »

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 06:53:06 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
If this were a poll, I'd vote "Core."

Donations: Core or the Infrastructure?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:30:21 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Nothing will keep rolling without money. Time is money. Ability is money. Creators of solid Linux distributions offer a lot of their time, as well as the exclusive technical skill, to make and maintain what they share ideally for free. Eventually, even if work upon the project could be considered free of charge, subsidiary costs come into play, such as even hosting and maintaining a website. This is when the case of donations come into place.

Nonetheless, no man can do a world alone. Solitary operating system could be a technological wonder, but if nobody uses it and effectively, if there are no valid contents created for it, it is as good as a souvenir.

In the perfect world, balance is critical. We need capable operating systems that smoothly run worthy applications. But it takes time and ability to make and maintain a good piece of software as much as it does in terms of the operating system. Which brings us to the question of limited resources to be possibly spent either on donating to the 'Core', by which I mean the operating system - or the 'Infrastructure', by which I mean all the applications meant for users, in order to be able to make use of the operating system.

If you were to decide where to make the money go, which one would you choose, the 'Core' or the 'Infrastructure'?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section