General > On Topic

cloned mac address feature not work? (SOLVED)

(1/2) > >>

elliott:
yea i don't even understand why wanting to be pretend to be someone else, ubuntu is not exactly a hacking distribution. i'm changing the script from "-m" to "-r" and hoping it just makes in random. but this is a feature that is put in the edit section and is not some not hidden secret therefore the ubuntu community has been talking about this bug from my searches. no offense to the LL creator i just think control to the user is what made a lot of people such myself switch to linux in the first place, the openness of it and the hopefully security and privacy being better.

N4RPS:
Hello!

There are many reasons to change MAC addresses - usually involving public WiFi hotspots...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

elliott:
this seems to be a big problem people are having with the newer versions of ubuntu so i thought i would share a fix to a broken feature they advertise falsely in their "edit connection" section.

sudo apt-get install macchanger
sudo apt-get  install gedit
make shell script with content below and put this in /home/username/Desktop/init.d/

#!/bin/bash
pre-start script
 macchanger -m 00:DE:AD:BE:EF:0f wlan0
 /sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /var/run/wpa_supplicant &
 python -c 'import dbus; print
dbus.SystemBus().call_blocking("fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant",
"/fi/epitest/hostap/WPASupplicant", "fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant",
"addInterface", "sa{sv}", ("wlan0", {"driver":"wext"}))'
end script

post-stop script
 macchanger -p wlan0
end script

seems to be the solution until ubuntu fixes this bug. sharing and fixing bugs is a huge part of what makes linux the best operating system evar!! :)

Scott:
Hi Elliott,

While I can't offer any new information on masquerading I can answer this part of your question:

--- Quote ---...thanks again, do you have a donation area on your page? this os had a huge impact on my life. :)
--- End quote ---

Yes, there is a donation page. You can find it here:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/donate.html

~Scott

elliott:
ubuntu is claiming this is just a bug i don't think they would put the feature right in front of your face under edit cconnection if they did not want to support it? they would remove it.

windows has tons of software that can do this,i just wanted to do it easily instead of the alternative and not have to change back on every restart. i want it random just and they put the feature their for a reason it seems to just have issues with wifi connections, they did not have to put the option so openly in edit connection if they did not expect people to use it right?

again great job, i got so many people to switch over to you guys from windows, i thought you were like creator of the forum its an honor to speak with you  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version