You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

About CPU over heating

Author (Read 5181 times)

Re: About CPU over heating
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 12:22:19 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
That problem was solved over 2 years ago. It is not and never has been a problem for me while in windows. This is the quietest laptop I have ever seen as a matter of fact I never had the problems you are reading about on those pages.You know when people on a forum ask for help they most likely have read the same articles that you are pointing them to. Plain and simple fans kick on IN LINUX LITE before they should. ANY HELP? ??? I am 99 percent sure it is just the simple fact that people think thermald is some kind of cure all and the fact of the matter is it should most likely be configured diffrent for each machine.

You're welcome I made an attempt..
The 1st link, last page has posts from October this year... Its ongoing.. the mention of similar issue appears to NOT be OS related.. even though you have not (yet).. Along with many mentions to bios..

You havent mentioned your bios version??
https://www.ifixit.com/Wiki/Lenovo_Yoga_710-14IKB_Troubleshooting
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/DS118587 *Might be worth looking at.. Latest is from Sept...
But don't want to post any more links that you probably read...

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man5/thermal-conf.xml.5.html
https://github.com/intel/thermal_daemon/issues/146

Good Luck in finding a solution
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:20 PM »

freefreeno

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5 7200u

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel graphics 620
That problem was solved over 2 years ago. It is not and never has been a problem for me while in windows. This is the quietest laptop I have ever seen as a matter of fact I never had the problems you are reading about on those pages.You know when people on a forum ask for help they most likely have read the same articles that you are pointing them to. Plain and simple fans kick on IN LINUX LITE before they should. ANY HELP???? I am 99 percent sure it is just the simple fact that people think thermald is some kind of cure all and the fact of the matter is it should most likely be configured diffrent for each machine.

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 02:10:06 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I am at a point where I have to either have some help or go to another distro or go back to windows but I have been trying to stick it out. Long story short this was my first distro that I came to from windows but my fans come on too quick and at too low of a temp. My laptop runs incredibly cool on linux so the fans shouldn't come on very much at all. I am no where near good enough at linux to understand how to mess with the thermald config files but I am pretty sure that is all that needs to be done.I will show the output of sensors output at ends. I have been on my pc for hours this morning reading and trying to figure this out myself. I am usually at about 36 c so as far as heat there isn't any. This is a yoga laptop without a dedicated graphics card and it shoud and does stay very cool so I am just wanting fans to not kick on until later which in my case will be very rarely because like I said even multitasking and say streaming video or football at the same time the hottest I have seen it get is 46 c. This is not a thinkpad. It is considered an ideapad.I am using the uefi version of LL 4.2 and it works great. I had the regular version installed the first time and the same thing occured so I went further but after taking a tour of other distro's I would like to call LL my home so if somebody with more skill than me could kindly show me the way it would be so so much appreciated.    coretemp-isa-0000
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      Package id 0:  +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
                      Core 0:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
                      Core 1:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

@freefreeno

Looks like a reoccurring issue even with windows for the past 2 years..
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Yoga-710-Constant-Fan-Noise-even-when-idle/td-p/3354501/page/44

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/5smocs/lenovo_yoga_710_14_fan_noise_solved_kind_of/

https://github.com/senior-sigan/lenovo-yoga-fan-control
The above links seem to relate more so to bios/uefi settings with the last being a linux based fan conrtol....
Can't say whether it'll work... But may be worth a try, having a fresh backup to restore to would help if you find tweaking the system results in a less than ideal configuration...

Also make note your posting in multiple threads you may get duplicated and/or less results...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:12:10 PM by firenice03 »
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 12:12:06 PM »

freefreeno

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5 7200u

• VIDEO CARD: Intel graphics 620
Code: [Select]
inxi -F
System:    Host: josh-Lenovo-YOGA-710-14IKB Kernel: 4.19.0 x86_64 bits: 64
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Linux Lite 4.2
Machine:   Device: un-determined System: LENOVO product: 80V4 v: Lenovo YOGA 710-14IKB serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN serial: N/A
           UEFI: LENOVO v: 2XCN38WW(V2.12) date: 07/10/2018
Battery    BAT1: charge: 48.1 Wh 100.0% condition: 48.1/53.0 Wh (91%)
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-7200U (-MT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           clock speeds: max: 3100 MHz 1: 700 MHz 2: 700 MHz 3: 700 MHz
           4: 700 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel HD Graphics 620
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.4 - padoka PPA
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.19.0
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 8260 driver: iwlwifi
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: 44:85:00:fe:90:a2
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 506.1GB (15.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 250.1GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: Generic size: 256.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 80G used: 5.9G (8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: /home size: 130G used: 1.3G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 195 Uptime: 2:37 Memory: 1009.0/7817.5MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.56

I am at a point where I have to either have some help or go to another distro or go back to windows but I have been trying to stick it out. Long story short this was my first distro that I came to from windows but my fans come on too quick and at too low of a temp. My laptop runs incredibly cool on linux so the fans shouldn't come on very much at all. I am no where near good enough at linux to understand how to mess with the thermald config files but I am pretty sure that is all that needs to be done.I will show the output of sensors output at ends. I have been on my pc for hours this morning reading and trying to figure this out myself. I am usually at about 36 c so as far as heat there isn't any. This is a yoga laptop without a dedicated graphics card and it shoud and does stay very cool so I am just wanting fans to not kick on until later which in my case will be very rarely because like I said even multitasking and say streaming video or football at the same time the hottest I have seen it get is 46 c. This is not a thinkpad. It is considered an ideapad.I am using the uefi version of LL 4.2 and it works great. I had the regular version installed the first time and the same thing occured so I went further but after taking a tour of other distro's I would like to call LL my home so if somebody with more skill than me could kindly show me the way it would be so so much appreciated.    coretemp-isa-0000
                      Adapter: ISA adapter
                      Package id 0:  +38.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
                      Core 0:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
                      Core 1:        +37.0°C  (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 08:02:07 AM »

PRafael

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Txs kpanic for your explanation.

I have an old EeePC that I love but it overheats...now I know how to configure it and try it again.

txs and regards

Paulo

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:49:53 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
True, older laptops are more prone to CPU overheating.
Excluding dead fans, the two main reasons I came accross in the past are :
1. heatsinks full of dust, especially when cat/dog hairs are clogging them
2. harddrives replaced for a "faster" and hotter 7200rpm model

Having the tool mentionned by kpanic is a nice option because for either 1 or 2, solutions are not that simple;
Opening a laptop to clean it can be a really difficult thing to do and could render it useless if not careful.(i.e. Ask a professional if you've never done it because you could break a motherboard connector, etc.)
Changing a harddrive to a 5400rpm or SSD is usually easier if its accessible without dismanteling the whole laptop.But, it can still be problematic for a lot of users (i.e. cloning installation, etc.)
I'll try kpanic's option next time ;)

Cheers!
(Text modified to clarify and because of typos and bad phrase constructions)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:26:31 PM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:39:43 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

A very important topic. Hope more people get into this thread and it grows.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

About CPU over heating
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:58:04 PM »

kpanic

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i5 M450

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GT216

Sometimes, especially in older machines, the CPU temperature may rise above it's normal threshold.
This is usually not an issue with new CPUs, since they don't consume power so much.

But since we are talking about older computers, over heating may become an issue and I write this topic
about how to deal with it.

First of all, old CPU units tend to consume much power, which leads to heating. there is no way out of the fact.
This is the reason why desktop computers usually have huge cooling units - of various kinds, which themselves
produce again more heat - there is no way out of this thermodynamic fact. The extra heat must go somewhere.
Desktops just "blow away" the heat into room air, which is usually always much cooler.

But how about older laptops. They don't have efficient cooling systems and sometimes the CPU temperature
just hits it's maxium. There are many ways to deal with this situation though. I try to explain some of them here.
The first one is kernel-dependent, meaning that you cannot use it if the running kernel does not support it.
To find out, open the console and command:

sudo grep MCE /boot/config-$(uname -r)
If the output has a line like: "CONFIG_X86_MCE=y", then you can use the CPU Machine Exception Banks for
this purpose. Just make sure the service has been enabled by commanding:

systemctl status mcelogIf it does not run or has not been installed, then install mcelog, enable and start it:
systemctl enable mcelog; sleep 5; systemctl start mcelog
That should do it. Now the kernel is able to communicate with the mce-process, and warn if the temperature
is too high. How to configure the mcelog daemon? Ask! MCElog does much more than just reports about
temperatures, so this may not be the best possible solution to this particular problem.

There are many other ways to deal with this issue, for example using the desktop XFCE sensors plugin, which
brings the CPU core temperatures to the XFCE desktop.

And you may always just read the temperature from /sys: (and maybe use it in cron or by other means)
cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
Divide that by 1000 and you have approximately the core0 temperature in Celsius, metric units (The Correct ones :)

Well, I thought I would write more about this topic, but I'll write about "thermald", "lm_sensors" and "SMART" in
other topics if you guys think it might be interesting

Cheers!
KP

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section