You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Using mplayer for radio and tv streams

Author (Read 2012 times)

Using mplayer for radio and tv streams
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:19:39 PM »

n1ksn

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Atom

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated
Greetings, all.  I've been experimenting with mplayer for my notebook computer multimedia needs.  For a while now I've been using it for the back end of SMTube, and it uses far less CPU that using a browser.

I've also successfully used mplayer to directly stream two Wisconsin Public Radio channels, but relating to this I have:

Question #1:  Why do I need to use the -playlist option to successfully use these radio streams?  I'm not using a playlist, but if I leave the option out and only use mplayer <stream name> instead of mplayer -playlist <stream name> I get nothing.  The streams are of type http://*.m3u.  I could not find much in the man page on this.

After much searching on the internet I was able to copy old (5 years ago) command line code to receive an Al Jazeera tv stream using rtmp output piped to mplayer.  However, that's about the only working example I could find, which leads to:

Question #2.  Does anyone have references or links that would help me find more current live tv streams to view, especially of type rtmp?  I've seen some stuff on using wireshark to dig out info from a browser playing the stream, but I was hoping for an easier way.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

Cheers,
Andy N1KSN

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section