You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Updating Windows 7

Author (Read 4727 times)

Re: Updating Windows 7
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 12:18:36 AM »

paul1149

• PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Enjoying Linux
    • View Profile

• CPU: C2D

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia
Maybe a new ploy by MS to get you on Win10
 >:( :o ::) :'(

I believe that's exactly what it is. I haven't had a smooth W7 update in many months, covering a couple dozen machines. And I've had W8 or W10 machines right next to them update in minutes, so it doesn't seem like a connection or load balance problem. W7 never used to be like this; it started in earnest when W10 was released a year ago. Very happy to be largely done with Windows.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 06:40:25 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Yes O-grant but this does not remove the pre-loaded and even pre-installed unnecessary caches of windows 10 files. Windows 7 does not rid itself of these without a difficult command line sorting process not to be attempted by the inexperienced. The GWX.exe program I referred to allows you select and delete these caches with very decent recommendations on a friendly GUI. I've used it probably fifty times now.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
Trinidad's post above is correct. Turning off Windows update is a bad, bad idea. Oddly there is a solution to stop Windows 7 becoming Windows 10 suggested by Microsoft themselves. It involves 2 very simple registry edits.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
You’ll probably have to create the 'WindowsUpdate' key on the left-hand side, which you can do by right-clicking the Windows node. Click on that new key, and then create a new 32-bit DWORD called 'DisableOSUpgrade' on the right-hand side, right click that & give it a value of 1.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx\DisableGwx
If 'Gwx' doesn't exist, create it. Then create a 32bit DWORD 'DisableGwx', right click that & give it a value of '1'.

(http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-windows-10-app-and-its-icon-from-taskbar/) Scroll down to 'Method 3'.

For some strange reason Microsoft only mentioned this a few months back. It's the same with the (unofficial) Windows 7 Service Pack 2. (But don't call it that). Most updates for Windows 7 are now monthly roll-up's. I updated my Windows 10 to the Anniversary update. I found it uninspiring. Once I uninstalled all the app's I'll never use, and put back all the app's I do. I had the exact same OS I had before the Anniversary update. Once I did all the upgrades I went right back to my Linux computer that I use every day. Was this trip really necessary?

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 04:08:36 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Merlin, and all concerned,

First - turning off Windows update in Windows 7 or 8 will not solve the problem. You need to use the command line, or the GWX .exe interface tool I have suggested, or MS will continue to pre-load your Windows 7 computer with Windows 10 upgrades exceeding 6gig worth by this date I'm sure.

Second - if you are already running Windows 10 and intend to keep it you must get the anniversary upgrade to continue to have long term mainstream support for the system from MS. Upgrade in this case is a must.

Third - mainstream support for Windows 7 is already ended. Some security upgrades will continue but not all can added without making the OS dysfunctional especially concerning networking, video, and sound. The Windows 7 life cycle is coming to an end and it is a pain for many small businesses and small networks.

Honestly, and I mean this only as genuinely concerned advice from an opinion based on experience and fact, if you are going to continue using Windows, especially in a small business situation, or home networking situation, it's time to upgrade to Windows 10.

All that said everyone is better off with Debian even with systemd. However, if you are a home user, who is nervous about the terminal, or even a somewhat savvy home user, but a refugee from Windows, this Linux Lite 3.0 Is a great way to go. As time goes by I am going to continue to find the GUI friendliest ways to enable all the wonderful things that can be done with this LL system. 

TC

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:42 PM »

merlin

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3050 @ 1.60GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics (Cherryview) x86/MMX/SSE2
If you using windows, I am suggest you for turn off windows update.
Why? Because many people have a problem with windows update, the problem like sound, graphics, and mostly problem is your PC or Laptop too slow after update.

Hope this help!

Regards

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

I was half awake at the time and ended up having to babysit the process because her system was dual boot with LL. I think there were five or six restarts, and I should have changed the boot order before I started but I forgot to and didn't want to interrupt the install process, so each reboot I had to scroll down grub menu and select windows 10 boot loader. Duh. Gimme DEB!

TC

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:27 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
You can also use "WSUS Offline"
Create & Save a local update repository on Local Disk, USB Stick, DVD or NAS
You can then use that repository to update PC's Offline without waiting for 1 by 1 downloads and install from Internet
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

On the other hand I did the Windows 10 anniversary update last nite on the little woman's Dell, and only took an hour and half, but my router bandwidth is 5G. Checking later today to see if it messed up the rdp I recently set up on it.

TC

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

If you haven't already, download the tool called GWX control panel and run it from a USB stick. It will execute in a running windows OS from the desktop. Your windows7 boxes will be safe from windows 10 ever after. Download from here. Works very well.

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

TC

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

Windows 10 will certainly NOT be installed on any of my machines

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 08:37:33 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

And then, when you reboot, it will discover updates to the updates, and you get to repeat the process.
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

Updating Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb
 Last night I was updating windows 7 on one of my three desktops.

Earlier in the day I picked up a second hand 500g wd hdd for a few pounds so decided to install LL3.0 on it on another machine.

Formatted the drive installed LL 3.0 and updated.

A trouble free install as usual.

Linuxlite all done in less than an hour...........Up and running.

>
>
>
  Windows 7 is still updating...... ::) ::) ::) ::) 

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section