You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Tips for buying hardware?

Author (Read 8080 times)

Re: Tips for buying hardware?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
I have noticed some discussion on various forums and mention on youtube (no I ave no link) that graphic cards from AMD is preferable over Nvidia because of AMD use open source drivers.

Truth being told, I don't really know how relevant that is when consider buying a specific computer for use with Linux.
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 11:21:16 AM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:45:36 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 08:16:53 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
I am also a minimalist and would avoid duplicating devices when it comes to fulfilling similar functions.
You mean like this? ;) :

... , but you may guzzle up more energy in day-to-day running costs than newer kit ...
I sometimes wonder if it's like washing a really dirty/greasy little plastic container before recycling.Is all the hot water/energy and soap needed balancing the trashing of the thing...
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 01:36:46 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

When it comes to the comparison between cars and computers, I think the electric cars are pretty much what the cloud services are going to be in respective areas, impact-wise. Both the electric cars and the cloud services mean severe change in the dynamics and economy of how the world is probably going to look like, which we may actually witness to unfold. Speaking of cars, think about gas stations. For now, very few parts of the world offer evolved infrastructure for electric cars loading up in hyperefficient or even semi-efficient manner. There are various kinds of these loaders - or how is it called. Understandably, Tesla is the tech leader, but those are luxurious cars indeed, nonetheless the technology is slowly approaching middle and lower grade standards as well. I know Smart offers something in that line. Now, gas stations will certainly provide traditional fuels for a long time to come, but how will they manage shifting of balance? They will become more of recreational centres perhaps, allowing customers to have some leisure while the electric car charges up for a good while that it takes, depending again on the quality of infrastructure employed. For now, I would honestly not buy an electric car, due to the lack of sensible common infrastructure for it in my area.

Think about cloud services in this context. The same very problem, namely, the lack of proper infrastructure, but this time, we talk about the Internet. Few people, in my guess, will actually buy Google Stadia PRO, because simply their Internet limitations will hardly anyhow allow them to even make better sense of the Google Stadia Basic. For those new to the topic: both the mentioned options address the quality of streaming, with the "PRO" service going further than the "Basic", which increases Internet bandwidth consumption. Even though there is little doubt the future - perhaps more distant future - belongs to the cloud services, for now, it is quite a vague option, reserved only for certain geographical areas, where the infrastructure is considered not yet ready to swiftly handle the extended standard but just good enough to have a start.

We may also unfortunately experience the effects of some corruption going on behind the scenes, slowing down the progress of adaptation to new technologies taking over the market. Simply, corporations primarily selling hardware cannot allow themselves to loose profitable, sometimes the only real fields of making profit.

Analogous problems could address both the electric cars, as well as the cloud services.

It is thrilling nonetheless to observe the changes progressively occur.

EDIT:

Perhaps with the electric cars, rechargeable and replaceable batteries could be a significant improvement.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:20:24 AM by MS »

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Research the products before considering purchase.     :)     https://www.zdnet.com/topic/hardware/    ;) 8)

I agree about re-purposing old computers. As long as it is feasible to do so. New OS [Linux] or just have an extra HDD or other parts laying around not being used.
That makes it very feasible. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:19:53 PM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,
Together we are LINUX...!

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 03:35:41 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

When it comes to new versus used, wonder if computer hardware can be compared to car engines, where the new generations of car engines may oftentimes provide superior performance and better ecological behaviour

That's a really good analogy MS, which made me rethink. While getting more mileage out of old computers is possible with Linux, older ones are not as energy efficient as the more modern ones. So you may save the planet for a bit longer by keeping older kit, but you may guzzle up more energy in day-to-day running costs than newer kit ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:38:52 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Quote from: TheDead
And you have to know your stuff or have a friend who does because anything could be inside, good and bad components.
Seems like a rule number one for going used hardware.

@m654321, the electrotrash is a major concern if to think wider, but on the other hand, not everything in life is so idealistic. I mean, I am using my 10~15$ mobile phone sixth year in a row now, which is my only mobile phone and I do it also because out of awareness there is no need to generate further electrotrash if everything works fine. The problem is, though, when I want something new, I want something new, y'know.

I am also a minimalist and would avoid duplicating devices when it comes to fulfilling similar functions. Which is, I would rather not have a tablet and a laptop both or a dedicated GPS and a smartphone both.

When it comes to new versus used, wonder if computer hardware can be compared to car engines, where the new generations of car engines may oftentimes provide superior performance and better ecological behaviour even with arguably lower specifications, thinking first of all about lower capacity?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:26:55 PM by MS »

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:24:04 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

Problem with used laptops is the battery.If the previous owner always had it plugin, this can cause premature battery failure.
If you need the laptop on the road, buying a used one for a bargain and having to find and shell out more than the laptop price for a new battery could be a pain.I only recommend official manufacturer batteries and not ebay "clones" that are notorious for having issue or not work at all.Problem is the official ones can drain wallets.
For desktop, I suggest something local that you can see before you buy.And you have to know your stuff or have a friend who does because anything could be inside, good and bad components.
** most important, buying something used always has a chance to have leaking capacitors after a few years.This is less and less likely with newer harware since they use solid capacitors though.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:45:02 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Here in the UK, you can get good quality stuff for free (including old computers ) that people would normally throw out in their garbage, through an organization called Freegle: https://www.ilovefreegle.org/   I'm always surprised by what folk throw away!

For example today I'm picking up a Packard-Bell Easynote Ajax-C3 and a Medion Mim 2080 laptops. Maybe not the world's fastest PCs, but man they're free! Apparently both are dragging their heels on Win7, so I'm going to bring them back to life by 'LL-ing' them, then give them away to those that need a PC but can't afford one.

Due to real global concern about the environment, I'm loathe to buy brand-new, particularly electronics gadgets, which are really bad for the environment and are becoming an increasing problem. Getting laptops that would otherwise go to landfill & pollute, plus the thrill of getting them up and running again on Linux, and giving them away for free is something I enjoy and get great satisfaction from ...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:50:29 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

Tips for buying hardware?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 01:28:40 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

Do you have any tips when it comes to buying hardware?

I have a rule, which majority of times seems relevant to me not only in terms of choosing the hardware, but for any kind of consumerism in general. It is that all things relevant for life are at comparably reasonable prices, while supplementary observation is that only things superfluous are rare and pricey. Do you agree with it?

What about buying new versus used? Personally, I tend to go for the new, but I know a lot of people - both when it comes to buying, say, a car as much as a computer - would tell it is a squandering solution, making one have qualitatively less for as much or even more money.

Laptops themselves are kind of a controversial choice. In my view, "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron, at least compared to desktops, but still, I am very much a dedicated laptop user. Nonetheless, I am not very much a dedicated gamer. I know people, though, who would always go for a desktop.

Wonder how - or rather, when - the world of streaming services will impact the customer preferences when it comes to buying hardware. Wonder if desktops will actually ever become marginal.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:16:39 PM by MS »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section