You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Time to switch to LL?

Author (Read 5651 times)

Re: Time to switch to LL?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »

bbaker6212

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite/Mint fan
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A6-6310

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: (AMD Radeon)
On my laptop i have been running LL for some time. But on my tablet i have windows 10. It came with the tablet. Been thinking of installing LL on tablet as well but no idea if thats even possible or that everything would work. For what i use the tablet for windows 10 works, so unless i find a 1000% fool proof and working method of getting linux on the tablet it has to do with windows 10

Can you please post model and specs of the tablet.
Usually tablets are ARM based cpu's , so Using a linux distro with ARM release my be possible.....

Its a Teclast X98 Pro
Specs:

CPU – Quad Core 1.44GHz, up to 2.24GHz CPU
Chipset – Intel Atom X5-Z8500 (Cherry Trail T4 Z8500) processor
Camera – 5 MP Rear Camera With LED Flash | 2 Megapixel Front Camera
RAM – 4GB | ROM – 64GB and Supports MicroSD (TF) external storage up to 128GB
Display – Screen size 9.7 inches HD
Battery – 8000mAh Lithium-ion Battery

So seeing that it is an Intel CPU, it should be possible. However with a quick Google search of your tablet + ubuntu i came across this--->

Teclast x98 air 3g with linux
There is a known issue that you have to use 32bit UEFI with many of these Baytrail devices but all the 64bit Linux distro’s use 64bit UEFI.  A special build of Ubuntu exists.  You could try that, or use the same technique to get Mint working.  Also, often to boot USB on some devices, at least with Mint, you have to turn “secure boot” off in the bios settings.
http://techtablets.com/forum/topic/teclast-x98-air-3g-with-linux/

AND
This post shows all the hoops you must jump through to get Mint installed from USB with an Atom device’ 32bit UEFI.  Keep in mind even after this you may need to, depending on your device, upgrade the Kernel and other drivers to get things working like audio and wifi.   The post also goes through his shrinking the Windows partition to make room for Linux Mint.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=204961&p=1065977#p1065977

You could try those methods with LinuxLite, maybe let us know if you were successful.
If you have a spare HDD/Flash swap out and run some testes maybe ....? Depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.
It does not look easy though.

Here is another link-- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/any-teclast-x98-users-out-there-4175542356/

A simple Google search and 15 minutes of time, i came up with alot of info....

Thanks for the info. Will have a look into things later next week, got some other things going first.

There's much more to it than that.  The biggest problem is there is no direct support yet for the Wifi device - if yours has the Realtek RTL8723bs.
Search for "XJubuntu" a guy is building a custom Ubuntu distro for this.  His website is in Spanish but there's a google translate button there. You can also look him up on the TechTablets forum.
==== Linux Mint 18 Beta, Linux Lite 3.0 ====
Lenovo Ideapad G50-45 AMD A6-6310 quad-core, 8GB RAM
Realtek rtl8723be wifi options in rtl8723be.conf :
debug=0 fwlps=N ips=N msi=N

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 10:46:30 PM »

LinuxNoob

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor

• VIDEO CARD: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
lol hoops. I have a pandigital I have in the garage under a bunch of paint cans. I wonder if I can install linux on that!! 

never mind! hahah
I'v been bashing Windows way before Microsoft.....

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

• Kernel: 5.x
On my laptop i have been running LL for some time. But on my tablet i have windows 10. It came with the tablet. Been thinking of installing LL on tablet as well but no idea if thats even possible or that everything would work. For what i use the tablet for windows 10 works, so unless i find a 1000% fool proof and working method of getting linux on the tablet it has to do with windows 10

Usually tablets are ARM based cpu's , so Using a linux distro with ARM release my be possible.....

Its a Teclast X98 Pro
Specs:

So seeing that it is an Intel CPU, it should be possible. However with a quick Google search of your tablet + ubuntu i came across this--->

There is a known issue that you have to use 32bit UEFI with many of these Baytrail devices but all the 64bit Linux distro’s use 64bit UEFI.  A special build of Ubuntu exists.  You could try that, or use the same technique to get Mint working.  Also, often to boot USB on some devices, at least with Mint, you have to turn “secure boot” off in the bios settings.

AND
This post shows all the hoops you must jump through to get Mint installed from USB with an Atom device’ 32bit UEFI.  Keep in mind even after this you may need to, depending on your device, upgrade the Kernel and other drivers to get things working like audio and wifi.   The post also goes through his shrinking the Windows partition to make room for Linux Mint.

You could try those methods with LinuxLite, maybe let us know if you were successful.
If you have a spare HDD/Flash swap out and run some testes maybe ....? Depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.

Here is another link-- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-mobile-81/any-teclast-x98-users-out-there-4175542356/

Thanks for the info. Will have a look into things later next week, got some other things going first.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860

Its a Teclast X98 Pro
Specs:

AND

If you have a spare HDD/Flash swap out and run some tests maybe ....? Depends on how much work you are willing to put into it.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 09:42:42 PM by technomancer »
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Its a Teclast X98 Pro
Specs:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 03:13:11 PM by TMG1961 »

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 03:06:43 PM »

UltraCookie

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Flavoured Chocolate Cookie
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-4210M Dual Core 2,60 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD 4600

So from July 30th it will be known as Win100?

Or rather Waste100
Linux Lite 5.0 on Lenovo Edge 540 <3

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 12:38:46 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

Member www.eff.org
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:57:18 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:22:13 AM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

I have a 128GB SSD mpci that I installed Win7 on. I tried the Win10 upgrade, and was using 10 for awhile. However it just seemed strange to me the way it was laid out in the gui.  I noticed lots of telemetry that win7 didn't have now, as well as searches for files that i had done couldn't be cleared. I did all the settings changes that supposedly protect privacy, however it just seemed creepy. So I reverted back to win7 without issues, I use it to game only these days. Win10 is strange.......it's the best way I can describe it. LOL. I would never pay for another Windows OS, LinuxLite is my new daily OS since it was installed.
Member www.eff.org

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »

mandoran

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I was very glad to hear that Windows 10 will be a paid upgrade. My one remaining Windows machine has lived in constant fear of being forceably upgraded from 7 to 10 and can soon relax.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 12:35:58 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
I was just reading the other day that Windows 10's market share is 15.34%. Windows 7 is 47.82% and Windows XP is 10.63%. Even windows 8/8.1 is around 13% combined. So if the 48% haven't switched over to a free upgrade by now, they sure aren't going to plonk down 100 quid in July. In case you're wondering, Linux: 1.65%, Windows Vista: 1.42%. (The Titanic went down quicker!). 0.45% use Windows 3.1, and 0.03 use Windows 2000. I'm sure they have all the Windows ME users locked up by now. Microsoft also removed some features from Windows 10 Pro, and made them only available in Windows 10 Enterprise. After the Pro people did their last upgrade - surprise!

Time to switch to LL?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:12:04 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section