You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Thunderbird Mail 102.01?

Author (Read 17944 times)

Re: Thunderbird Mail 102.01?
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »

robert2019

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core AMD C-70 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1000 MHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 7290]

• Kernel: 5.x
Good day Serban, Jerry,

Is such repository ppa script meant to be run on any Series, or only on 6.x ones, otherwise it might break somehow the system configuration?

I'm 5.x same as Vint tells us in his profile he is. I dont recall if he upgraded to 6.0 or not.

Thank you in advance for your great support!

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2022, 12:51:41 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Thanks @Serban S. for the command line code for the updates to Thunderbird and Firefox it was easy and fast and now I'm a little less scared to use the terminal.

Best regards
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2022, 12:45:26 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Serb's command line code he gave me worked without a flaw and now I have the updated versions of Thunderbird mail and Firefox browser, and if I can do it anyone can.  I am still a bit apprehensive when using the terminal for anything being a novice but this was just easy, thanks to Jerry and Serb for all of the help and patience it is appreciated.

Best regards
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2022, 05:26:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

I don't understand the NZ server exception at all. Not sure what that is about.

TC   

There isn't any exception, TB comes down through the mozilla PPA.

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I'm not sure what the deal is with Ubuntu 22 and Mozilla but probably linked to Thunderbird not being a distro package anymore. My oldstable Debian 10 (wayland gnome) system just received update to new 102.3 for Firefox and Thunderbird today and there are substantial differences in the GUI so it is probably an Ubuntu thing concerning the GUI compatibility and/or security changes compatibility. I expect this to be an ongoing lag since Ubuntu is not building the package specifically for their base desktop GUI anymore unlike Debian. I am currently using the Mozilla PPA in my Linux Lite 6.0 system and it has been up to date with 102 for well over a week now. I don't understand the NZ server exception at all. Not sure what that is about. The whole thing could just be Ubuntu/Snap politics for all I know. Yuck.

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=thunderbird

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2022, 09:15:44 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Thanks for all the helpful information I appreciate it, I have my repo set back as USA default is that the best ?
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2022, 08:54:59 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

@vint
As Jerry & Serb mention - you can install via a PPA should you like the update version, OR as an alternative to PPA you can install via snap (If you've installed Firefox from Lite Software)...
I mention if Firefox was installed via Lite Software as it too is a snap package.. If you did not install FF then I'd go the PPA route..

If you have installed FF (as a snap package - snap is installed) - verify if snap installed...
Code: [Select]
snap list

If output is displayed....

Info - version
snap info thunderbird

Install
sudo snap install thunderbird
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2022, 12:38:48 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

You must have missed this post by Serb earlier in the thread.

Hi! :)

Do this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-security/ppa
sudo apt update

Hope this gives you what you want! :)

Best regards!

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2022, 11:58:37 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Earlier I went to repository settings following the instructions and changed to a closer mirror, reset and checked updates but still the newer Thunderbird version eludes me.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2022, 09:17:23 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@firenice03,
I haven't done many apt-update but I haven't run into any problems like you have described.  I receive updates on a regular basis except for Thunderbird mail and Mozilla Firefox, also the clamav version update is lagging sometimes but all of the rest seem to be updating just fine.  I'm still taking baby steps using the command line for anything and I'm very careful when I do.  As Serb has said about Thunderbird mail, it is stuck out there somewhere and the only way to receive the new version is to download it through the terminal, I can wait for now, thanks for all of your help.  Now if I could just get my printer problem figured out!

That's what I'm meaning -- the errors I see are as if the underlying repo has a 'typo' if you will.. Its skipping the pool directory where the thunderbird update (among others) resides... If I traverse the repo I can find the newer version... its likely an upstream Ubuntu issue, though I haven't dug too deep into... But alas I too use US repos and see the same..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2022, 04:44:46 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@Serban S,
Thanks for the help and encouragement, eventually I will get more comfortable with Linux.  Miles to go before I sleep.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 04:38:49 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@firenice03,
I haven't done many apt-update but I haven't run into any problems like you have described.  I receive updates on a regular basis except for Thunderbird mail and Mozilla Firefox, also the clamav version update is lagging sometimes but all of the rest seem to be updating just fine.  I'm still taking baby steps using the command line for anything and I'm very careful when I do.  As Serb has said about Thunderbird mail, it is stuck out there somewhere and the only way to receive the new version is to download it through the terminal, I can wait for now, thanks for all of your help.  Now if I could just get my printer problem figured out!
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 03:51:27 PM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

Serban,
Thanks for the information and the help is appreciated, I am still a novice with Linux Lite and those of you who are proficient with all things Linux might find it difficult to see things from my point of view as a 32 year user of Windows OS'.  I hope one day to not be a novice any longer.

Thank you for being patient! :)
As for me, I'm a novice in many Linux (or whatever OS) things! I usually learn "on the fly". That is: "On a need to know basis". If I encounter some trouble, I search, then I do my best to understand then APPLY. Usually, it works. If I still fail, then I ask people around. :D

[...]those of you who are proficient with all things Linux might find it difficult to see things from my point of view as a 32 year user of Windows OS'

I do my best to remember how I was back then! (1997). I find it very important! It keeps me safe from being arrogant, to say the least!
And I also have some 17 years of Win. About 10 of those, were dual booting Win/Linux. At the time, I used Red Hat, then Mandrake and then Ubuntu.

And I like to remember a line from Avatar: "There's always a bigger bird in the sky!"
And this is true! There's always someone that is way better than me! Always! Keeping this in mind, is very useful!

By the way: I looked again in Synaptic. Nothing! Still 91.11.0. It seems that there is some invisible error that holds the 102.3 version from being installed.

As for the version itself, I like the "Update" option in the new version. It's far more useful. The UI design, also looks more useful (from a practical perspective).
Overall: I like it! :)

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2022, 01:54:30 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

@vint
When you do an update from the command line - do you get a few Skipping messages?

sudo apt update
Messages like...
W: Skipping acquire of configured file 'pool/ .....'
It may the repos are jacked up? :032:  = I'm getting these in the CLI but Install Updates says up to date

Or have you change them ===
May want to try - Lite Tweaks - Package Repair
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 02:01:09 PM by firenice03 »

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

@Jerry I checked my repository is USA, my question is this; am I to select a specific mirror from the list?  I'm a bit confused on this because if that is the case then I am not sure how to select a specific mirror.  Could give me some clarity regarding this subject.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section