You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

The lunatic looking to the future during the full moon

Author (Read 9709 times)

Re: The lunatic looking to the future during the full moon
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Okay.

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 07:28:40 PM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Sorry I just don't think it's good etiquette friend in someone elses home, I was wrong to mention it, I understand Rok's remark now.

You have enough clues.

Off topic
I like the company here so I don't want to out stay my welcome.
I've been sleeping every other night for three weeks and the day after an all nighter you can make mistakes or write words that can be missunderstood.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 06:19:08 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
I've been using a French Debian stable distro for a few months and it's proved itself as a good base plus they have just released an Alpha of Jessie so I'm going to get involved on that forum.

Do you have a link to the forum ?

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:21 AM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Wirezfree :D
Thanks for the link but I think it's just MS creating their own walled garden.

Ikey has forked the PiSi packet manager and it's command line only while he gets his OS base developed and then he will develop a GUI for it, he's very interested in user friendlyness, I think your looking at 4/6 months for a normal user ready system.

I've been using a French Debian stable distro for a few months and it's proved itself as a good base plus they have just released an Alpha of Jessie so I'm going to get involved on that forum.

Bon voyage friends

PS
Note the use of "command line" not "Terminal"

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Certainly looks colourful and "today"
It was interesting to read some of the comments below the article.

I liked the one where somebody commented that:
I just don't think ANY modern OS where a typical user has to open up the command line interface will fly nowadays.

Maybe he missed the "Windows 10 package manager"

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/192950-windows-10-will-come-with-a-command-line-package-manager-much-to-the-lament-of-linux-users
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 11:01:02 AM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Even though Ikey is developing his own Budgie DE he's offering to help get xfce into GTK3.
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfc-dev/2015-February/000314.html

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 06:27:14 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
lol , where do you take these pics mate !
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 06:09:35 PM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
( I try ) experiments , that most of the time don t work much ! lol
I don't like experimenting unless I can go backwards,pop a 16 GB stick in and 10 minutes later your back where you started with just a few clicks, much easier than installing the OS again.

I'm a lazy dude, I just want to point and click, I dislike exercising on the keyboard, makes me sweat and stresses me out.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
lol , we re not enemies for sure right ! lol . Friends mate .

By the way , it was a great gesture when you gave the hardware to the dev .

I can t find my external hdd , my mother made some cleanup & when someone makes a great cleanup , you don t find anything ! lol

I have some usb keys that I ll have to check what s on them . Anyways , I m in no hurry right now , I m used to reinstall , meaning Not to do stuff , ( I try ) experiments , that most of the time don t work much ! lol

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
It s not disrespect that I meant by that mate , as I said or wrote , it (   Also might have to do with supports of any kind , we don t know . ) I think I wasn t disrespectfull in here , I know sh!tt happens , I ve been in it for the last 3-4 yrs due to sickness , after being a big truck driver doing east & mid west Canada-US mostly with a fairly good pay check , now I m down to zero , I know what it is a little bit .

So computing (Linux came with this ) more latelly . Not my 1st branch I must say , lol
Sorry friend altman my words were not addressed at you, I just took the opportunity to show folk where, what I am and maybe take a closer look.

Still friends I hope

Regarding making snapshot ISO's of your system what kit have you got machines, external drives, USB's etc if you send me a PM I will do a video of using saline-backup showing you how to install it and use it, you can be my guinea pig as nobody else seems interested and I'd be amazed if it doesn't do everything you want.

I'm personally in two minds about snapshot ISO's that install a new user because that makes it so easy to grab someones distro make a few changes and then launch yet another distro into the world.

Peace be with you my friend from an ancient hippy

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
It s not disrespect that I meant by that mate , as I said or wrote , it (   Also might have to do with supports of any kind , we don t know . ) I think I wasn t disrespectfull in here , I know sh!tt happens , I ve been in it for the last 3-4 yrs due to sickness , after being a big truck driver doing east & mid west Canada-US mostly with a fairly good pay check , now I m down to zero , I know what it is a little bit .

So computing (Linux came with this ) more latelly . Not my 1st branch I must say , lol

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 04:30:33 PM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hopfully his latest venture wont go after a year or so considering his track record . Also might have to do with supports of any kind , we don t know .

Thanx for sharing this Brian .
If you discover your going up a dead end you go back and start again it might inconvenience the users but I agree with everything he's done.

It's the only way to get a quality reliable maintainable and lasting product.

Beyond my abilities but https://evolve-os.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=254&start=10#p1539

I made a few suggestions that he adopted for his new panel, devs need input from basic users.

In the early days when he was doing SolusOS 1 he was totally skint and his old laptop finally expired so I had the chance to give him a spare desktop so I was lucky enough to chat with him for a few hours.

I wanted to meet him face to face and luckily I had the opportunity and he gave me his time, a guy who don't understand RTFM talking to one of the most knowledgable and he measured up in every way, he's incredably patient with folk on the foruns etc. I could go on and on, nothing bad to say about him after watching him for 3-4 years.

He was skint because he couldn't get a job in IT because of a lack of paper qualifications, he or Solus got noticed and he works in development for Intel now.

Please don't show him disrespect friend.

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 04:07:14 PM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hopfully his latest venture wont go after a year or so considering his track record . Also might have to do with supports of any kind , we don t know .

Thanx for sharing this Brian .

Duckduckgo ( for now )

The lunatic looking to the future during the full moon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:18 PM »

ukbrian

• Old Fool
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Ikey Docherty the original developer of Mint LMDE made a comment on the LMDE forums when LMDE first appeared
We might have to write a new shell, it can't be that difficult
That got my attention but he disappeared from the forum shortly afterwards as he never intended to use update packs but Clem insisted.

He made a post on the forum about 12 months later announcing the launch of a beta for his new  Debian stable based distro SolusOS which had updated kernels and updated apps but on the stable base.

That ran for 12 months and then he brought out an some alphas for Debian Wheezy but then decided to start again but using the PiSi package manager developed by a Turkish university, he's not afraid to start again instead of ploughing on.

He brought out a few dev editions but then suddenly he closed down SolusOS which was a huge disappointment, what was worst for me personally was that shortly afterwards my plan B  Anthony Nordquist a network manager closed down SalineOS and moved to Manjaro. I'm up the creek without a paddle.

I tried a few rolling releases but that's not the way to go so I started looking at Ubyntu LTS editions and that's why I'm here.

Anyway 12 months or so later Ikey launches an alpha of EvolveOS using a new Linux base and a fork of the PiSi package manager and a new desktop environment he calls Budgie. I lurk his google+ page and the quality of the devs and designers there are well quality, I even saw Mark shuttleworth make a post there about compiling the base kernel or something.

Two weeks ago he launched a beta, it's still not ready for the likes of me but this link just got posted http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-evolve-os-could-win-you-over-to-linux-and-me-away-from-ubuntu/

So if I might be right maybe we should be looking to produce an Xfce version or some derivitive.

EvolveOS at https://evolve-os.com/about/

Another one who post and collaborates with Ikey is Michael Spencer @ http://papyros.io/

I'm jiggered after all this effort, I need to chill, If I get a knock on the door I'll be very

PS
It just don't make any sense to me https://plus.google.com/112089348047460560288
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:05:44 PM by ukbrian »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section