You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Slax - now based on Debian

Author (Read 4162 times)

Re: Slax - now based on Debian
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
I couldn't resist installing Slax to my HDD even though it wasn't supposed to be installed, just run "live."  It was cool but confusing for a KDE-first-timer.  I was just surprised that anything KDE would run on so little RAM and processor power.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:33:51 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Well. Already I see posts about wireless involving the lack of a network manager. I guess land lines and the use of apt is a unknown to these clueless users.

There is a web browser, however I did not see any Wifi manager so
 I can connect myself. There is no point to have a web browser without
 a Wifi connection.

I'm not familiar with programmation matters, and my knowlege of terminal
 commands are limited.

Minimal distros at 200MB are not for the clueless. I guess Slax is now in the ranks of being a systemd distro also. Something a lot of Puppy distros never included in their distros. I have not played with it yet. It was 90F today and good day to break out one of the motorcycles and enjoy the day.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
Just reading about it this morning. Quite a few puppy's are going towards Debian. I would image for the vast amount of packages they have. There's another very good puppy called 'Stretchdog64'. Also comes in a 32-bit. It's actually Debian reconfigured to look like a puppy, with an XFCE desktop. 256mb installer, full featured, fast, and access to all those deb add-on's. People used to think of Puppy Linux as a toy distro. Wouldn't say that anymore.

Slax - now based on Debian
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:40:00 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
http://www.slax.org/

Slax is a modern, portable, small and fast Linux operating system with modular approach and outstanding design. It runs directly from your USB flash drive without installing, so you can carry it everywhere you go in your pocket. Despite its small size, Slax provides nice graphical user interface and the only two programs everyone really needs: a Web browser and a Terminal.
Slax is now based on Debian, which gives you the ability to benefit from its entire ecosystem. Tens of thousands of prebuilt packages with applications, all within reach thanks to apt command.

Been using this from time to time  over the years, ever since they used to have Iso builder site. Where one could build their own iso before downloading. Now dis-continued.  I like it about as much as Puppy Linux.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section