You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

should i build a pc? whats best for Linux Lite 2.0?

Author (Read 15916 times)

Re: should i build a pc? whats best for Linux Lite 2.0?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
I have used Linux Lite a few years ago, and it was a very nice OS.  One problem I had with it had to do with its grub config, Had multi OS boot and the grub insisted on adding everything in.  Ended up with a page or two of kernels.  Hope they fixed it by now.  Question, I have an old Toshiba A20 satelite laptop with a cyberblade trident graphics.  Ubuntu favors only work up to 12.04 with it, nothing after 12.04 seems to work.

Probably should create a new post for best visibility/response.. But will try to answer...
If its OLD and 32-bit is your only option.. LL 3.x or 2.x will be the options.. LL 4.x is 64-bit only...
The Hardware Database is a good place to look for similar hardware which there are a few.. https://www.linuxliteos.com/hardware_results.php?q=trident#search_results

Another option would be to create a LiveUSB and test on your system...
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 12:03:26 AM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1.4 GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: on board
Answer the other questions I asked too.

Also, I forgot to ask if having Windows is a requirement or desire for you also?

I looked at links you provided for refurbs and on average I would say you're paying about an extra $75-100 over what you could get those for because of having Windows loaded on them.  Particularly the HP's, which I've seen numerous times on Craigslist for much less.  The AMD-based Asus I'm not too familiar with, but am guessing it's a little high also.

However, you likely have more "peace of mind" purchasing through Tiger Direct or Newegg than taking chance on Craigslist.  So take that into account also.

Will wait for rest of answers before looking into potential build components for you.

i agree,

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:53 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 02:09:39 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
@Gold_finger, @ChrisL
Appreciate the information. Now I just need to decide what I really need/want (and how much I want to spend) - always seems to come down to something along those lines.:)

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 12:34:27 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Hi Gold_Finger,

The AMD APUs (like the one linked in the previous post) have my attention. Do you have any experience (direct or indirect) with linux graphics drivers for these processors?

Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott,

I don't have any direct experience with the AMD APU's but have seen that a number of people on forums use them.  I've been curious about them too and have thought of making a computer with one myself, but the last thing I need right now is another computer.  (Have too many as it is.)

Main desktop and main laptop both use AMD Phenom II Quad Core CPU and motherboards have onboard Radeon HD 4250 graphics.  On both of them I've never used proprietary AMD drivers, the standard linux drivers have always worked just fine for me.  I don't play games, so never bothered trying proprietary drivers.  Nowadays, there are no proprietary drivers for them because AMD dropped support for them which is not a problem for me.

The AMD APU's are newer and I believe that AMD proprietary drivers are available for them if standard linux drivers aren't satisfactory for people.

@Chris L,

Nice find on Tiger Direct!  Looks like a lower powered quad core APU than one I selected for example, but yours includes Windows and a 1TB HDD.  Hard to beat that deal if the basic APU is all someone needs.

In general, there will be plenty of good deals like above popping up on websites and in stores now that Xmas shopping season has geared up.
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 11:28:04 AM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

Hi,

I honestly don't work for Tiger Direct, but I did happen to see this deal, and there seem to be a lo of folks looking for new systems.  It's a AMD quad core for under $300:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8909245&CatId=2627

I am not that familiar with AMD processors so I really can's advise on that, and it only had 2G memory, but seems like a really good basic computer deal.

Chris

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 09:26:21 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Gold_Finger,

The AMD APUs (like the one linked in the previous post) have my attention. Do you have any experience (direct or indirect) with linux graphics drivers for these processors?

Thanks
Scott

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:13 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Elliott,

You never got back with rest of answers, but here is sample build that should be good for you.

AMD A10-5800K Trinity Quad-Core 3.8GHz  (CPU)
$109.99

ASUS A88X-PRO FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard  (Motherboard)
$119.49

Thermaltake TR2 W0070 430W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply  (Power Supply)
$37.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600  (RAM)
$44.99

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case  (Computer Case)
$39.99

TOTAL:  $352.45

That's a good price for a pretty decent machine.  (Some components have a mail-in rebate, but I did not figure that into estimate.  End cost will be slightly lower after any rebates.)  The CPU has integrated graphics, so no need for separate video card.  You might be able to re-use your case and can save $40 more that way.  If really necessary, could downgrade to a dual-core version of the processor and save another $50 or so.  The power supply will be plenty for this setup, but if you plan to add a gaming video card to the system you'll want to look into a more powerful model and make sure it has connectors for the card.

Other things you could substitute in place of above if you want to:

AMD A6-5400K Trinity Dual-Core 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Desktop APU

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

If you do need a new DVD player, this one is very good and only $20 when not on sale:

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Lastly, although the CPU should already come with a coat of thermal compound, you might want to consider getting this.  (I prefer to clean off factory stuff and replace with this, but it's not something you "have" to do.)

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound

P.s.  Computer case listed above does not have leads to USB 3.0 ports on front of case, so you'll have USB 3.0 ports built-in to motherboard on back, but not in front.  If that's really important to you, then you'll need to pick a more expensive case that has leads to front ports for USB 3.0.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:38:12 PM by gold_finger »

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Latest email. As promised.

30 buck rebate on the below. You can  use your hard drive and video card. Maybe ram also?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=83-280-622&utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-GD111714&cm_mmc=EMC-GD111714-_-index-_-Item-_-83-280-622

I'd just add yours (hard drive) in another bay and use bios to control what boots.

Full ad.

http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/guerrilla/LP/14-Nov/index-RLUR9-17.html?utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-GD111714&cm_mmc=EMC-GD111714-_-index-_-Header-_-SeeAll&et_cid=13026&et_rid=2363446&et_p1=

Edit: The Bare bones offer to me from Newegg Black Friday pre-sale email for Tuesday 18Nov2014

Combo Price After MIR:  $449.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2008276&utm_medium=Email&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL111814&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL111814-_-EMC-111814-Index-_-Combo-_-Combo2008276-S1A11A

Plenty on USB 3 in There. UEFI bios also.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 12:02:40 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 09:16:56 AM »

elliott

thanks man this stuff is all kind of confusing to me now i got help and was young when i last deal with a motherboard and basically forgot the entire process. this website claims pci can get you usb 3.0 so i will search for that. i have only seen them for usb-e unfortunately.... thanks for your time again i wouldn't know what to look for.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 07:16:44 AM »

ChrisL

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

I was looking at some of the available motherboards, thinking a new motherboard and reusing your processor might be a inexpensive way to get more features such as usb 3.0; however all the ones I saw only have usb 2.0 (there may be others with 3.0 but I have not seen them yet).

I came across this article though: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043035/how-to-add-usb-3-0-to-your-desktop-pc.html

Chris

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:53:47 AM »

elliott

sorry i think someone just stole 120 dollars from me and im steamed....
the hd is 1tb sata
no windows wanted
pleny of dvd-r (both)
its a logisys power supply 650 about 3 years old. cheap tho
hanns g monitor i dont see a # on it, its big tho

ill use the power supply or graphics once i put the original that came with pc and find out which (if any of the two) are broke.
i was going to do it now but i'm so pisssed writing this is difficult, thanks for taking the time i'm sorry if i did not give you all you need.

will post later need to cool off but thanks so much man, its really bad timing for someone to burn me just now is all and i don't take shit like that well especially now.

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 02:38:56 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Answer the other questions I asked too.

Also, I forgot to ask if having Windows is a requirement or desire for you also?

I looked at links you provided for refurbs and on average I would say you're paying about an extra $75-100 over what you could get those for because of having Windows loaded on them.  Particularly the HP's, which I've seen numerous times on Craigslist for much less.  The AMD-based Asus I'm not too familiar with, but am guessing it's a little high also.

However, you likely have more "peace of mind" purchasing through Tiger Direct or Newegg than taking chance on Craigslist.  So take that into account also.

Will wait for rest of answers before looking into potential build components for you.

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 02:06:26 AM »

elliott

#System:    Host:
Kernel: 3.13.0-36-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.6 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine:   System: HP Pavilion 061 product:
           Mobo: ASUSTek model: EMERY version: 1.05 Bios: Phoenix version: 3.06 date: 01/25/2006
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium D CPU (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 vmx) bmips: 12004.1
           Clock Speeds: 1: 3001.015 MHz 2: 3001.015 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.38 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-36-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family LAN Controller driver: e100 ver: 3.5.24-k2-NAPI port: ee00 bus-ID: 02:08.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>

IF: wlan1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1300.3GB (16.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD3000JS size: 300.1GB temp: 32C
           2: id: /dev/sda model: ST1000DM003 size: 1000.2GB temp: 32C
Partition: ID: / size: 269G used: 203G (80%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.98GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:47C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 171 Uptime: 28 min Memory: 629.9/3282.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17
#

so far i checked the ram, i am now going to check the card, ram passed... gut feeling is power supply even tho its way newer than card i heard they break and it was cheap.. :(
sorry this did not post right, i do not see the menu like on the link describing how to add the #, ill try to make it readable...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:14:06 AM by elliott »

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 12:48:28 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

elliot,

I used $500 as an example, not to mean you must spend that much.  I'm pretty sure you can do better than that, especially if you can reuse some components.  Haven't looked at your computer links yet, but will do that later.  Can you provide answers to questions below about current computer please?

Do you have working DVD player?  If so, what kind of connection -- SATA or IDE?

Is your hard drive still good and do you plan to keep using it?  If so, is it SATA or IDE connection?

What is exact model# of your monitor?

What is exact model# of your power supply and how old is it?

Are there any other components that you are thinking of re-using?  If so, list them and their connector types.

Please provide list of current hardware specs by doing the following:

*  Install inxi program by opening a terminal and entering following two commands:
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install inxi

*  Enter following command to list basic specs of machine:
Code: [Select]
inxi -Fxz
*  Copy entire output of last command and paste it back here in forum.  (See here for best way to post terminal output)

Once I have above info, I'll take a look at components on Newegg and see if I can come up with a reasonably priced example of possible build for you.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 12:51:10 AM by gold_finger »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section