You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Security of encrypted home folder vs. Veracrypt

Author (Read 2388 times)

Re: Security of encrypted home folder vs. Veracrypt
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
removed is not my job to teach the community security techniques.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:04:34 AM by bitsnpcs »

Security of encrypted home folder vs. Veracrypt
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Hi forum.

I have set up a Dell D620 with LL where the default user (me, the one I use on daily basis) have the home folder encrypted (during creation of user).

I have also being a user of Veracrypt trying to figure out how to use Veracrypt on Linux. Exept for some character encodings for fat/fat32 and had some trouble with ntfs getting bad, I have figured most out to the extent that led me use the program at a daily basis.
Why? Because I have all those files on a laptop and I have that laptop dragging around when traveling around, so in the event of theft, I don't wan't private letters or other any kind of critical information getting in hands of criminals. Simply as that.

Therefore I have thaugt of something. Using Veraccryp takes time to mount, and why not just store those files on the encrypted home folder of user and just forget about Veracrypt? It sure cause less hazzle.
But the big question - how secure is critical files that lays inside an encrypded home folder compared to a Veracrypt file container?

I assume for an average burglar, it doesn't matter because he's probably not the most clever guy anyway. But if that burglar hands it ower to an individual that have the tools to crack passwords - assume same password strength - what is least risky place to store critical files.

Thanks in advance
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section